Jalapenos Peppers in the D.R.???

TexMex

Sep 26, 2010
Hello to all DR1 members

I am setting up a TexMex restraunt in Jarabacoa and I am looking for someone that can supply me with fresh Jalapenos Peppers.

If you are growing or know of someone that is growing and willing to sell some Jalapenos Peppers please let me know. I would appreciate it very much.

I can order the seeds over the internet and grow my own but I need some Jalapenos Peppers yesterday.

Regards

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Supermercado Nacional and La Sirena both have them...plenty. So does Supermercado Central.

HB

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
I'll ask my dad,hes got a few growing right now... dont know the variety.I'll PM you when I find out.

TexMex

Sep 26, 2010
Hillbilly,
I like your user name..Lol
I was in Santiago last week and I did not find any Jalapenos. Now I did not make it as far as Nacional but you would think that La Serina would have them also.

Windeguy,
I rented a nice size home for $3,500 RD, I’m going to cook from my house for the time being until I can find a good LOCATION to establish myself. Meanwhile I am going to offer catering service for Parties, Weddings, and social groups. I have a few places that I am trying to get but we just have to wait and see.

DR daddy,
I look forward to hearing from you. I had a local vendor tell me that he had a lead on some great Jalapenos that they Export to the USA. It was a great disappointment. They were not the Jalapenos that we know back home…. But he swore up and down that they were. I finally had to tell him, “Look Amigo, I from Texas and Mexicans eat Jalapenos like you all eat bananas, I know what a Jalapenos is and looks like and this is not a Jalapeno, So that is why I started this thread.

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
You can find fresh jalapeno in La Sirena km13 Autopista Duarte. Santo Domingo.
the pack cost 59 pesos. enough jalapeno for 2 years in a dominican family.
it last me 1 month. really hooooot.

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i always bring hot mustard sauce, one pint, from a SD chinese place when it's around Xmas and etc. and everybody is serving roast pig on a stick. most dominicans think i am trying to kill them, except the old ladies. i have also secretly introduced horesradish on occasion, luckily the ones with guns are my in laws, if they haven't killed me yet,,,,, they won't........

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
have also secretly introduced horesradish on occasion, luckily the ones with guns are my in laws, if they haven't killed me yet,,,,, they won't........ That'll clear out your sinuses.

May 29, 2006
The long pencil thin peppers(often labeled as Jalapenos in the DR) are as hot or hotter as jalapenos and just as tasty. The ones that look like Haberneros are actually mild, but much more flavor than a bell pepper. I couldn't find Chili powder, but perhaps times have changed. Many common spices are hard to find if they are not in the standard Dominican diet.

Hello to all DR1 members

I am setting up a TexMex restraunt in Jarabacoa and I am looking for someone that can supply me with fresh Jalapenos Peppers.

If you are growing or know of someone that is growing and willing to sell some Jalapenos Peppers please let me know. I would appreciate it very much.

I can order the seeds over the internet and grow my own but I need some Jalapenos Peppers yesterday.

Regards

Hello TexMex, please let us know location and when your place opens up, I'm in Jarabacoa most of the time and would like to enjoy authentic TexMex food!

sandk

Sep 20, 2010
Finca Verde Organics-North Coast

This finca grows jalapenos. They deliver on the N. coast (Los Brazos, Sabaneta, Cabarete, Sosua, and all points in between). Not sure what arrangements you could make with them, but you can e-mail them at fincaverdeorganics@gmail.com for more info, including prices.

They have a facebook group where you can see photos of the farm and their produce and to receive special event notifications. Login | Facebook

Best of luck to you! Definitely a need for good Tex-Mex here for us gringos who like spicy!!

enh

Feb 22, 2003
When I was living in Santo Domingo about 40 years ago I ran across a small bush that had little hot peppers. I asked some folks the name of the bush and they told me "aji del Caribe." I thought they good. They were indeed spicy. Later, upon a return visit I asked about the peppers again to a different group of people and, if I remember correctly, they said that they had never heard of aji del Caribe. I didn't pursue it with others but I still am interested in knowing if there is this little red, when mature, pepper. Has anyone heard of it or eaten it?

enh

Feb 22, 2003
I believe that I saw what were referred to me as aji del caribe peppers in the Jalape?os forum post #31. I wonder if there is a name more specific than "agrios picantes?"

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
You can find fresh jalapeno in La Sirena km13 Autopista Duarte. Santo Domingo.
the pack cost 59 pesos. enough jalapeno for 2 years in a dominican family.
it last me 1 month. really hooooot.

Sorry. the one they have is habanero (yellow, orange and red, more tasty and hotter than jalape?o.)
In Carrefour is where you can find Jalape?o (green), and other chiles like, chile pasilla, serrano, my favorite chile chipotle and also chilli powder.
If you want to prepare fresh Tortillas (as I do) you can find tortilla corn flour in Supermercado Bravo in Los Cacicazgos (the only place in SD that have it)
and you can by a Tortillera and Comal in Ferreteria La Innovacion in Ave. Luperon (only place in the country where you can find it)
Lot of difference when you prepare Tacos , Enchiladas, Sincronizadas with fresh tortillas, than those frozen that you can buy in supermarkets.