Sending money from Canada to the DR. (Best way)

bigguy2857

Dec 16, 2008
I have been sending money from Canada to the DR with xoom.com for over a year now. But now they will not let me do so any more. You have to have a US bank account or Credit Card. I normally send from my bank account into another with xoom. Is there any other websites that will provide this service with a fair cost. Western union is way to high.

Buster1

Mar 25, 2009
how do you manage to send money to the dr via online banking with a us account. I have that and the only way is by going to the bank personally and requesting a transfer and alot of paper work and a fee from a Canadian Bank.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
With RBC you can do online transfers up to $1000 per transaction and it will cost you $20 each time. All you need is the account number and the swift code for the bank in the DR.
Several years ago my wife wired $13000 US through Scotia Bank to BHD in the DR and it cost her $35. The money wasn?t available for 4 or 5 days though.

I'd been using this service for several months, sometimes they call you to check you're the person making the transaction and to confirm your ID. However, I'm in the US, not sure how it works from Canada. Friends from Canada use them with an US CC account, not Canadian. They deposit the cash in a local DR bank or they can deliver it to the person. I use the direct deposit for safety concerns and convenience.

https://secure.enviosboya.com/index.php

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
how do you manage to send money to the dr via online banking with a us account. I have that and the only way is by going to the bank personally and requesting a transfer and alot of paper work and a fee from a Canadian Bank.

your DR Bank give's you on request the account number and SWIFT Code for their US based offshore account for such wires, to receive money from the US my DR Bank BHD has a account at the First Bank of America in Miami, so the Wire goes there with the Note that it get's credited to Your DR Account with them, the process will be explained to you by your DR bank when you request the Numbers for such wires.
it is nearly 2 years that I sent money from the US side that way, I do my banking almost always on my European accounts and very most of course Via my DR accounts due my business beeing based in the DR.
Mike

georgig

Jul 25, 2010
Does anybody know a DR Bank which provides on line services for international outgoing transfers?

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Does anybody know a DR Bank which provides on line services for international outgoing transfers?

it has been a long while that I asked about such, because I only transfer money the other way, coming in to have Fun here, so correct me please.

for my BHD Bank US$ Account I can not get online banking to send money from here, I have to enter their office, give them the details for the wire, and they do the wire for me, for the high Fees mentioned in a prior thread.
the only online banking I have here for a local DR bank account isthe one on My Pesos Business account, a so called "Cuenta corriente", but I only use it for national online bankings, like paying my monthly taxes etc, I never tried to send money aborad from my Pesos Business account.
Mike

granca

Bronze
Aug 20, 2007
Here we go again. Contact HIFX., they have a web page and can transfer from nearly anywhere to anywhere at either no charge or very little.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I just use ScotiaBank.... rarely use my USA account - too much hassle.

Canada to RD... very simple w/ Scotia.... next day access... sometimes same day.
Used Butterfield the other day... came in overnite.. no charges

WW

georgig

Jul 25, 2010
I agree - ScotiaBank is good to receive money from abroad. But if you try to send some to your relatives you will be asked questions like "What for they will use the money?" . And I'm talking abt small amounts of money.:surprised

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I agree - ScotiaBank is good to receive money from abroad. But if you try to send some to your relatives you will be asked questions like "What for they will use the money?" . And I'm talking abt small amounts of money.:surprised

Correct. Those are the new rules at the bank (especially in Canada).... wiring to yourself is less controversial than wiring to a 3rd party.

To avoid that, wire to yourself and give a check to the relative.

WW

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I Used <zoom.com> for the first time last week.

I was a great experience! I highly recomend their service.
They took $1000 us FROM MY checking account,using my debit card #. They send you emails tracking the money,and send you an email when it is picked up in the DR.It can be picked up at any Banco de Reservas,or Banco Progresso,or delivered right to an address. Cost $35 US dollars to send the $1000. Only takes an hour or two to get there.
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I was a great experience! I highly recomend their service.
They took $1000 us FROM MY checking account,using my debit card #. They send you emails tracking the money,and send you an email when it is picked up in the DR.It can be picked up at any Banco de Reservas,or Banco Progresso,or delivered right to an address. Cost $35 US dollars to send the $1000. Only takes an hour or two to get there.
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

that's just 3.5% of Total Fees, a great Transfer Rate and very quick of course.
do they deliver in US$ Currency or Canadian$ or in Pesos.
in case of pesos, what's the Exchange Rate CC?
great info
Mike

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
They Post their exchange rate on their site.

If you want the money in US dollars,there is an additional charge for that.Dollars can only be picked up at main offices. I sent in pesos. The rate is not as good as you get here,but it is not a "horrible" rate. I use Banco BHD. I mistakenly said that the money can be picked up at Banco Reservas.It can't!
Check out the ZOOM.com site.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
that's just 3.5% of Total Fees, a great Transfer Rate and very quick of course.
do they deliver in US$ Currency or Canadian$ or in Pesos.
in case of pesos, what's the Exchange Rate CC?
great info
Mike

Unless I'm missing something... why not take your check/cheque to the local cambio and do everything for 1-1.5 %.... US/Cdn check to pesos or US $$ and then deposit or spend?

Seems to be cheaper - faster-easier.
I dont think 3.5% is cheap or 2-3 days is fast

WW

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Bill,the idea is to send money to someone in the DR

From the US,or Canada.
I went online from my sisters house in Boston. Zoom had the money ready for my mother-in-law to pick up in Santo Domingo in about an hour.
I think that was fast,and "cheap'!,for the "security and speed.
I live in SD,and cash my US bank checks at a "Casa de cambio" on 27 de Feb. when I am home,at "NO CHARGE"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right,
to cash a check for myself is also FREE!!! of charge at the Cambio in Cortecito.
and they alsways have a top exchange rate.
but I do seldomly receive checks, so no need of that venue too often.
in europe it is usual that payments been done to your european bank account, that's why I send the money per online banking from there to here, nobody is using chekcs there like I know is usual in the USA.
differente costumbres
Mike

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Unless I'm missing something... why not take your check/cheque to the local cambio and do everything for 1-1.5 %.... US/Cdn check to pesos or US $$ and then deposit or spend?

Seems to be cheaper - faster-easier.
I dont think 3.5% is cheap or 2-3 days is fast

WW

first you have to wait til the check arrives, right?
I would guess by postal services or similar?
then Your Cambio takes 1-1.5% of the sum plus something extra due the exchange rate.
I don't see where something been saved on that uncomfortable way.
I prefer to send my Money from any of my worldwide accounts to any other of my worldwide accounts by some hits on the laptop's keybord and once a week I spend 5-6 minutes at the bank and withdraw what i need/Want in US$ Currency and exchange it where I get the best exchange rate of the Day.
but each to his own procedure of course.
Mike