Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: US Urged to Stop Sending Rice to Haiti

  1. #1
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    19,379
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default US Urged to Stop Sending Rice to Haiti

    US Urged to Stop Sending Rice to Haiti

    BBC News - US urged to stop Haiti rice subsidies

    AE

  2. #2
    Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    nothing other than rice?

  3. #3
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,690
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    It is the cutting of the import tariffs that Aristide signed that caused the problem- and perhaps the Haitian government will increase their import tariffs - certainly they are still holding onto the boycott against Domnican eggs and chickens which was started a few years ago under the guise of protection from the avian flu. That premise was pretty much exposed as non operative since the flu itself jumped into Haiti. The DR could not get the international certification that Haiti insisted on since it would have to quarantine all chickens And some of the those cock fighting birds travel around in big SUVs with tinted black windows, probably with their own sunglasses on. Anyway.... there is an effective boycott across the border on Dominican chickens and eggs.

    The rice is not only now a staple in Haiti - wheras it used to be luxury eaten only once a week- but it is a commercial product traded across the border. I do not know how it is that it comes into Haiti cheaper than the DR with DR-CAFTA - but it does.

    Now the US is not the only country which subsidizes its agriculture. The EU spends a good portion of its budget in subsidizing agriculture as well.

  4. #4
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    1,944
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    cutting import tariffs is a good thing - haiti needs to be able to compete on the open world market.

    the USA is entirely at fault by subsidizing its rice growers and destroying the haitian market.

    this is the right kind of giving back: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/06/bu...hosla.html?hpw

  5. #5
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    272
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Bye View Post
    cutting import tariffs is a good thing - haiti needs to be able to compete on the open world market.

    the USA is entirely at fault by subsidizing its rice growers and destroying the haitian market.

    this is the right kind of giving back: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/06/bu...hosla.html?hpw
    how is cutting import tariffs making haiti more competetive?

  6. #6
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,690
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Bye View Post
    cutting import tariffs is a good thing - haiti needs to be able to compete on the open world market.

    the USA is entirely at fault by subsidizing its rice growers and destroying the haitian market.

    this is the right kind of giving back: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/06/bu...hosla.html?hpw
    I think it a bit naive to think that Haiti is going to be able to compete with agro business....

    Joseph Steiglitz, Nobel winner and former World Bank official.. does argue that the developing world looses about 6 times the amount spent on "foreign aid" from subsidies and protective tarriffs in the developed world.

  7. #7
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    1,944
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mariot View Post
    how is cutting import tariffs making haiti more competetive?
    because local industry learns how to compete and ends up with a long term sustainable business. see the problems in the DR now with the artificially low propane pricing due to government subsidy and the industry that built up around modifying cars to take advantage of it.

    haiti has to find industries where it can have a true competitive advantage (aside from being the NGO capital of the world). yes, they do exist.

  8. #8
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,690
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Bye View Post
    because local industry learns how to compete and ends up with a long term sustainable business. see the problems in the DR now with the artificially low propane pricing due to government subsidy and the industry that built up around modifying cars to take advantage of it.

    haiti has to find industries where it can have a true competitive advantage (aside from being the NGO capital of the world). yes, they do exist.
    such as what?

    working in maquiadoras for 60 hours a week at 70 gourde an hour?

  9. #9
    Bronze
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    1,944
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mountainannie View Post
    such as what?

    working in maquiadoras for 60 hours a week at 70 gourde an hour?
    thats up to haiti to figure out. DR has done rather well on the same island.

    there's hundreds of other caribbean and pacific islands which don't share similar proximity to the world's wealthiest market and do just fine.

    its time for haitians to stop playing victim and figure things out. i hope you aren't supporting their victimhood.

  10. #10
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    13,690
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Adrian Bye View Post
    thats up to haiti to figure out. DR has done rather well on the same island.

    there's hundreds of other caribbean and pacific islands which don't share similar proximity to the world's wealthiest market and do just fine.

    its time for haitians to stop playing victim and figure things out. i hope you aren't supporting their victimhood.
    No,.. certainly not a supporter of victim hood.--

    but neither do I think that their future needs to look like the DR..

    there is something quite precious in Haiti ... something that travels a different path altogether.... can not really describe it...

    but the DR has done well by doing what? selling off its beaches, ---- cheap tourism... prostitution,.. gambling.... narco trafficing...

    at the base of it the issue is the DR is SELF SUSTAINING in food... and so Haiti has to first get back to the that point..

    I am sorry -- feeling feisty today... but I do not think that anyone can promote the Capitalist model of endless growth and expanding debt...

    imagine where the DR would be now if it had not accepted the "help " of the world bank and the imf and have stayed out of debt -- as Trujillo left it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •