Recommend good books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I was wondering if people could recommend good books to read in Spanish. I am looking for something apolitical and positive. Simple stories about life and overcoming obstacles would be interesting to me with a personal preference toward non fiction but will make exceptions. It doesn't have to be Dominican and maybe it shouldn't be the most demanding either to read either.

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007
I was wondering if people could recommend good books to read in Spanish. I am looking for something apolitical and positive. Simple stories about life and overcoming obstacles would be interesting to me with a personal preference toward non fiction but will make exceptions. It doesn't have to be Dominican and maybe it shouldn't be the most demanding either to read either.

Hard to find. At the moment I can only think of Leo Buscaglia. His books have been translated into Spanish. Easy reading, also.

Here are two of his books:
Vivir, amar y aprender; Reflexiones sobre el amor
YouTube - Leo Buscaglia -Speaking of Love pt 1 of 6

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hard to find. At the moment I can only think of Leo Buscaglia. His books have been translated into Spanish. Easy reading, also.

Here are two of his books:
Vivir, amar y aprender; Reflexiones sobre el amor
YouTube - Leo Buscaglia -Speaking of Love pt 1 of 6

Thanks. BTW, it doesn't have to be that simple of reading, high school level would be find.

BTW, why would it be hard to find books like I suggested? Maybe I'm being to rigid, for example I liked most of Hemigway's books, especially the Old Man and the Sea.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Look for anything by Mario Vargas Llosa, a Pervian Author. I think you will find him though provocing. He has interesting ideas.

Last edited:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Chip, our son majored in Spanish Literature in college, and he's read them all. His favorite is One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garc?a M?rquez. Also try Love In The Time of Cholera by same author.

AE

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Norma Rosa

Bronze
Feb 20, 2007

Apolitical, positive; simple stories about life . . . non fiction . . .
Not Cien a?os de soledad (Garc?a M?rquez)
Not Mario Vargas Llosa

Biographies? Just guessing.

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I did finally read a short story that was recommended, only thing is it was very similar to the book I was already reading. I felt like I was a freshman in high school reading "A Tale of Two Cities" again because there were a lot of words and structures that I wasn't familiar with. In the end, like most of the fiction you read as it seemed the author was more intent on seeing how many odd words he could use rather than create something of substance. Then again I've felt this way about English literature too - I suppose that's it's easy to see why I studied engineering. :)

I think I'm going to focus on reading history online to broaden my useful vocabulary.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
you may be reading above your level. if you're not understanding those books, just step it down.. there's nothing wrong with reading comics, etc, if it helps you get better in the language faster.. then you can always increase your material later.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
you may be reading above your level. if you're not understanding those books, just step it down.. there's nothing wrong with reading comics, etc, if it helps you get better in the language faster.. then you can always increase your material later.

I tried to explain earlier I realize I don't desire to increase my knowledge of obscure words whether in English or Spanish. I'd rather learn something useful.

BTW, I didn't even know there were comics in Spanish?

At any rate I here is what I'm reading now "Los franceses de Saint-Domingue en el cintur?n cafetalero de Santiago de Cuba,1790".

http://revistacienciassociales.homestead.com/XXX-1-2/Yacou.pdf

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
I recomen to read a translation of a book you know before. The popular books are found in most language.

It is best to know the story before you read then you know if you have got everything correct

Status
Not open for further replies.