Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Recommend good books

I was wondering if people could recommend good books to read in Spanish. I am looking for something apolitical and positive. Simple stories about life and overcoming obstacles would be interesting to me with a personal preference toward non fiction but will make exceptions. It doesn't have to be Dominican and maybe it shouldn't be the most demanding either to read either.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    I was wondering if people could recommend good books to read in Spanish. I am looking for something apolitical and positive. Simple stories about life and overcoming obstacles would be interesting to me with a personal preference toward non fiction but will make exceptions. It doesn't have to be Dominican and maybe it shouldn't be the most demanding either to read either.
    Hard to find. At the moment I can only think of Leo Buscaglia. His books have been translated into Spanish. Easy reading, also.

Here are two of his books:
    Vivir, amar y aprender; Reflexiones sobre el amor
    YouTube - Leo Buscaglia -Speaking of Love pt 1 of 6

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Norma Rosa View Post
    Hard to find. At the moment I can only think of Leo Buscaglia. His books have been translated into Spanish. Easy reading, also.

Here are two of his books:
    Vivir, amar y aprender; Reflexiones sobre el amor
    YouTube - Leo Buscaglia -Speaking of Love pt 1 of 6
    Thanks. BTW, it doesn't have to be that simple of reading, high school level would be find.

BTW, why would it be hard to find books like I suggested? Maybe I'm being to rigid, for example I liked most of Hemigway's books, especially the Old Man and the Sea.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Look for anything by Mario Vargas Llosa, a Pervian Author. I think you will find him though provocing. He has interesting ideas.
    Last edited by bob saunders; 10-07-2010 at 07:28 AM.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Chip, our son majored in Spanish Literature in college, and he's read them all. His favorite is One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel García Márquez. Also try Love In The Time of Cholera by same author.

AE

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bob saunders View Post
    Look for anything by Mario Vargas Llosa, a Pervian Author. I think you will find him though provocing. He has interesting ideas.
    Coincidentally Bob, a Brazilian friend of mine sent me this link today:
    Folha.com - Ilustrada - Peruano Mario Vargas Llosa vence prmio Nobel de Literatura - 07/10/2010

and I found this in the NY Times:

Mario Vargas Llosa Wins Nobel Literature Prize - NYTimes.com

AE

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    Apolitical, positive; simple stories about life . . . non fiction . . .
    Not Cien años de soledad (García Márquez)
    Not Mario Vargas Llosa

Biographies? Just guessing.
    Last edited by Norma Rosa; 10-07-2010 at 09:22 PM.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Cuentos de Eva Luna by Isabel Allende. Also La Casa de los espiritus by the same author.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I did finally read a short story that was recommended, only thing is it was very similar to the book I was already reading. I felt like I was a freshman in high school reading "A Tale of Two Cities" again because there were a lot of words and structures that I wasn't familiar with. In the end, like most of the fiction you read as it seemed the author was more intent on seeing how many odd words he could use rather than create something of substance. Then again I've felt this way about English literature too - I suppose that's it's easy to see why I studied engineering.

I think I'm going to focus on reading history online to broaden my useful vocabulary.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

you may be reading above your level. if you're not understanding those books, just step it down.. there's nothing wrong with reading comics, etc, if it helps you get better in the language faster.. then you can always increase your material later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast