Oderbrecht Has Moved Into Jarabacoa

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Oderbrecht has rented our old house on La Confluencia as their coordinating office for the area. It's a 5500sf 6br/7ba house on an acre. There are 10-15 vehicles parked there every day and an army of guards.

That tells me the rumors are true: the old road between Jarabacoa and Constanza will be construced and properly paved.

In fact, there has some construction of drainage channels for a couple of months, but Oderbrecht is now here in earnest.

Great news! A paved road will be a fantastic trip for folks! the views from the ridge is amazing!

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Rancho Guaraguao here I come........

Great news! If I read right, that crucial road will be ready by 2012? Of course it won't be as fun/technical a crossing as before:ermm:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
it will last about a year ....then need too much maintenance
Not necessarily.

What kills a road is:
1) Lack of proper prep work
2) Water

I have been impressed with the Oderbrecht work on the Samana Aquaducts and roads. One thing they have done is put in proper drainage and crown the road, as well as good prop work. I'll bet the roads will last much longer than some of the BAD engineering in other places.

They are doing an excellent job with drainage ditches on the Jarabacoa-Constanza roads, ditches 3' wide and 3' deep, done in concrete and rocks, with 18" concrete pipes beneath the road where needed. Now if they crown the road properly they should last.

Look at the work of the Autopista-Constanza roud through the mountains. Seems to be very well done...even for big truck traffic.

Now if they set their sights on the Constanza-San Jose de Ocvoa road...as promised in the '08 elections...that will expand tourism in the area greatly, not to mention being able to get to the SW without having to endure the Santo Domingo/San Cristobal/Bani mess...

Hope prevails. I'l bet even our resident civil engineer would approve...

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Not necessarily.
Now if they set their sights on the Constanza-San Jose de Ocvoa road...as promised in the '08 elections...that will expand tourism in the area greatly, not to mention being able to get to the SW without having to endure the Santo Domingo/San Cristobal/Bani mess...

From your mouth to God's ears, as they say. I sometimes wonder if that will happen in my lifetime - particularly if they do the road all the way down to the highway entrance in Ocoa. [Please, oh please, oh please!] Amazing how the gov't ignores problems - there was a small bridge washed out by floods a few years ago [a few miles off the highway before you reach the mountain] and instead of repairing it they did nothing and people just drove around it onto surrounding property and now that's the road!

Are these the people who did the road from San Cristobal to Bani? Took forever, but what a difference in the trip!

AE

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
Cant wait till this is finished.my dads home is in paso bajito an they've been marking and measuring all the road.There nothing fun about using this road its very dangerous.4x4 on the way up,Check you brakes before you go down Be ready to sound those horns and roll your windows up, The camiones dont slow down on the curves.