Caribe Tours or Metro - which bus is better Sosua/SDQ?

Ben

Feb 2, 2004
Between Sosua and Santo Domingo which bus company has superior service in terms of comfort and time to destination? I know Metro leaves from El Batey while Caribe's terminal is in Charamicos. Aside from the location is there much difference? Does anyone have a recent experience?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Metro, better quality bus and does not stop in La Vega, so it take less time. Also the terminal is centrally located on Churchill.

Reactions: Bronxboy

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
metro: better journey time and quality of service. this is one of the very few things in DR that work absolutely perfectly.

anitaemma

Aug 25, 2006
Certainly Metro. only if you need to go to offices like Secretaria Interior y Policia you should use Caribe cause its terminal is near them

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
note, caribe tours has the advantage of leaving sosua at 20 minutes after the hour, every hour, starting at 5:20am until 6:20pm. (ok, technically i think the first bus is at 5:15am)

metro on the other hand has only 5 buses daily leaving Sosua.
8:20am, 10:20am, 1:20pm, 3:20pm, 5:50pm

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
safety

Metro is the only one that comes with seat belts. Caribe Tours busses get up to 80 plus miles per hour coming down the mountain into Puerta Plata. Scares me to death such that I wont take them anymore. Safest of all for me is Transporte Cibao which is the local that makes a million stops which has the effect of slowing it down which I like. Arriving alive for me is paramount.
If its comfort only then take Caribe Tours. They seem to have the most comfortable seats and best leg room.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Metro is the only one that comes with seat belts.

I take the Metro quite often from Santiago to Sosua and the seat belts are always pushed between the cushions and no matter how hard my girlfriend or I try, we cannot pull them out.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Metro

I've seen how CaribeTour's drivers are and I wouldn't take them....and take a light sweater on Metro, they love the a/c down low.

Last edited:

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
I think they are both good. Metro is faster because of less stops and I also think they drive a little safer. Both are comfortable.

BobtheCat

Aug 28, 2010
Anyone have the contact info for Metro and the rates, I have a friend flying into Santo Domingo and need to travel to Sosua on Oct 21. Thanks in advance. BtC

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
I too vote for Metro
Newer buses (gnerally)
Fewer stops with only one stop in Santiago (Caribe has two) and no stop in la Vega. I also have noticed on Caribe they will make multiple stops along the route to pick up people along the highway.
Much more convient for those of us in Sosua as well as being able to park your car near by if you are getting to the bus by car.

Bob K

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Anyone have the contact info for Metro and the rates, I have a friend flying into Santo Domingo and need to travel to Sosua on Oct 21. Thanks in advance. BtC

Metro to Sosua is presently RD$340.

Caribe Tours has more scheduled buses than does Metro, but Metro more comfortable. Also easier to navigate the Metrol terminal with luggage than Caribe Tours.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Metro to Sosua is presently RD$340.

Caribe Tours has more scheduled buses than does Metro, but Metro more comfortable. Also easier to navigate the Metrol terminal with luggage than Caribe Tours.

You also have less chance of being robbed in the Metro terminal. You leave your bags for a minute in Caribe Terminal and they will be gone. Happened to someone I know once.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
You also have less chance of being robbed in the Metro terminal. You leave your bags for a minute in Caribe Terminal and they will be gone. Happened to someone I know once.

I agree. There is no comparison between the two waiting areas. I would leave my bags unattended for a few minutes if necessary in the Metro terminal, but not in Caribe Tours.