Need new laptop battery and power cord

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Is there a store preferably in the Santiago area that sells new laptop batteries and power cables? I need both for an HP Pavilion DV3500 series.
I go to the capital now and then so even there wouldn't be a problem if necessary.
Thanks in advance....:cool:

B in Santiago

Reactions: Lucille

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Computer store on Av Cuba y Beller en the center of town. 2 blocks from Corominas and 1 block off Calle Sol by Altagracia Church

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
usually more cost effective to buy a new computer than a new battery

man you are an expert on giving useless advices.
This advice of yours is not only thoughtless but is also potentially costly alternative to the OP.
laptop batteries can be bought on ebay, cheap and can be shipped over to eps in a matter of few days.
just checked ebay and a new battery can be shipped for 31 dollars to a US address and the charger for another $8+ shipped to US address (example a EPS that will ship it to DR).

waytogo, I want to know the symptoms of your laptop. does it not power up and if you move the cord a bit, then it starts to charge up? I want to know if your DC in jack is broken? Its rare to have to buy battery and the power supply at once.
AZB

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
waytogo, I want to know the symptoms of your laptop. does it not power up and if you move the cord a bit, then it starts to charge up? I want to know if your DC in jack is broken? Its rare to have to buy battery and the power supply at once. AZB

This laptop was purchased for my girlfriend 2 and a half years ago new in the states which I brought back with me. I never used this laptop. The battery is the original and had worked beyond it's lifetime. I had just noticed that the laptop was being plugged in for use and never stand alone with the battery as power. The cord is breaking at a spot that apparently was being bent over an extended period of time, but is still functional. I was just hoping that they could be purchased here locally at a descent price so these problems could be corrected now.
The laptop is an HP Pavilion DV3500, which new was 1100. U.S.

B in Santiago

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
So you just want the cord and not the whole power supply? The cord from a/c plus to the power supply or the cord from power supply to the laptop DC in-jack is broken? Please explain because I think I can get that taken care of easily in santiago. The battery is easily bought from ebay and shipped to an EPS type delivery service for about 30 dollars + shipping costs on EPS.
AZB

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
A word to the wise: While you can get a cheap battery on EBAY, it's much better to buy an OEM battery, even if it costs a little more.

That is exactly what I would buy, an OEM battery. The odds of finding one here was a million to 1 shot but I had to ask. The price on E-bay for an original HP replacement was about 70 U.S. with free shipping to EPS in Doral, Florida.
I called Cecomsa and they said they don't have replacement batteries here and they would have to order from the states.......probably at 2 to 3 times the price. Thanks everyone for the help, I guess it's E-Bay time.....again.

B in Santiago

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Go to CECOMSA on Bartolom? Colon as HB said. But go to the store in back of the main store. They do repairs on Computers there, and they may have what you need to make it work. Nothing to lose by this before you go global.

This is on the Mountain Road on your left heading to PP area.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Go to CECOMSA on Bartolom? Colon as HB said. But go to the store in back of the main store. They do repairs on Computers there, and they may have what you need to make it work. Nothing to lose by this before you go global.This is on the Mountain Road on your left heading to PP area.

Thank you Sky, There isn't a problem with the computer, it works perfectly.
I've been to that location for quite a few things.
I need a battery replacement(old,doesn't hold a charge anymore), and the power cable needs replacement.
Called Cecomsa and they don't have batteries or cables in stock, they have to order from the states. So, that is what I will do. You didn't read my previous post......lol

B in Santiago

Reactions: mike l

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
waytogo, what part of the power cable is bad? the part from a/c plug to power supply module or from power module to DC-in jack of the laptop?
Remember, I am an expert in ghetto fixes.
AZB

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
The DC plug to the inverter is bad. The inverter stops rectifying the current. I know because I have a similar HP and its the only part that ever goes bad. You can also go to the Compaq/HP website and see what they have in stock for your machine. I got mine from them on sale. The standard battery is like $100 and the extended life battery is like $150. The plug is in the $70 range. Authentic Compaq/HP equipment. Aftermarket? Who knows but the quality always sucks because everything is made in China.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
So you just want the cord and not the whole power supply? The cord from a/c plus to the power supply or the cord from power supply to the laptop DC in-jack is broken? Please explain because I think I can get that taken care of easily in santiago. The battery is easily bought from ebay and shipped to an EPS type delivery service for about 30 dollars + shipping costs on EPS.
AZB

Yea, I m with JD on this one. I bought one of them cheapie plugs from Ebay from a company in NJ and it sucked donkey balls. Luckily it has a 1 year warranty on it, because they replaced it 3 times. It would overcharge the battery or send too much current to laptop and the mouse wouldnt work while it was plugged in. I had to turn it off to charge it up and then I d have to use it off battery power because of that issue. Eventually they sent one that wasnt crap but by that time I already went to hp.com and ordered one. But it s a good thing to have a spare.