Only in DR

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Hi,
This is my first post to this forum although I've been over here in the DR for about a year and have been following the goings-on on this site.
I often see the "Only in DR" ,(imagine: virtual shrug and eye rolling), comment around on these boards.
Now, I ain't no spring chicken and I have lived and worked and visited many parts of the world in my (aviation) career and I have not yet experienced something that I would say is; "Only in DR" (Shrug, Roll, Damn or Wow!).
My knowledge of the country is limited to mainly the North coast, Santiago, couple of trips to SDO etc. so maybe you old hands could give me some examples of "Only in DR"?
Gracias.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Read your previous thread.Thanks.
Still not convinced, altho' I like the one about being congratulated for burning rice.That's amusing.
I've found that the oddest thing so far is that a trader will prefer to keep his unsellable overpriced product than to haggle over the price.That's a new one on me.
Rum and seawater is also an unusual cocktail and playing music louder outside the car than inside seems quite odd also but probably not indigenous.
I'll keep an eye out.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
Without trying to be too pedantic, I get the impression that for many posters here, this is their first time out of their comfort zone and are probably not aware that what seems to be curious or aberrant behaviour or failure to provide basic resources or respond in an expected way to certain situations is far more widespread and common practice than is assumed here.
I have spent most of my life working in different countries and cultures and thanks to my flying career, have been fortunate to visit many more, from Armenia to Zimbabwe, and I would like to find that one thing that will say to me "That's Pure Dominican Republic!".
For example:For me,
Switzerland will always be Alps, chocolate and tidy.
France -fascination with food,the Camargue,fabulous roads for touring, incomprehensible laws which are ignored.
Far East- Bustling,chaotic. anarchic, pungent and inscrutable.
USA-I would rather not say in public.
Kenya-gazing for ever to an endless horizon full of animals and unimaginable scenery, nights of african music and laughter and dancing till dawn.
South Africa-Trekking in the Drakensberg mountains. Kangoo caves. De klein Karoo desert.
Zaire-Mont Nymuralagira spurting flame and molten lava high in the air.Bush flying a 60 year old plane. Stroking an Okapi. (google it).Being shot at by poachers in Rwindi game park. (missed).
Etc.
You get the idea.
Now,
Thinking caps on.
What will be ODR for me please?

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Maybe you could try getting hit by cow bladders in La Vega during Carnival. It's very memorable. I'll be devastated to know if others have had the experience in other countries.

Reactions: pedrochemical

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
All you have mentioned are not country specific at all, anything but. So why so important for here.

Status
Not open for further replies.