Who is the BEST Cellphone service provider in DR

TeresaMac

Oct 7, 2010
Hi, I will be leaving the states next Tues on a Trip for 19 days to SD, DM. I currently use Verizon Wireless on my Blackberry. Although, I am perfectly aware that I am able to use my phone there since I have done it before, I rather stay away from the tremendous bill that will be welcoming me back home. I rather just connect it there. I am looking for Internet, 500/700 min with international calls...

What do you guys recommend?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Hi, I will be leaving the states next Tues on a Trip for 19 days to SD, DM. I currently use Verizon Wireless on my Blackberry. Although, I am perfectly aware that I am able to use my phone there since I have done it before, I rather stay away from the tremendous bill that will be welcoming me back home. I rather just connect it there. I am looking for Internet, 500/700 min with international calls...

What do you guys recommend?

not an expert but I think that blackberry is the only cell with internet here and the service is only available on a year long contract

you can get a prepaid cell phone with a card.-.-. for about 20 bucks at any Claro store.. then just buy the cards as you need minutes

you can bring your laptop with the wireless access and use it any of the big malls in SD or in some of the internet cafes -.-.---

or probably your hotel....

since we move much slower here, few people need to be SO informed that they have to have instant access to the web...

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Both Claro and Orange have prepaid phone as well as Internet (wireless) for which you just have to buy the dongle and prepaid cards. For internet I suggest Claro over Orange as it has wider coverage throughout the island. If your blackberry is GSM (has a SIM card) you should be able to get a similar card in The DR and just use your own phone.

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
i had a iphone (unlocked) with claro for a month paid about 1800RD for internet and phone plan.internet was slow in harabacoa area (like dial up slow)but got the job done.Should be a bit faster in SD.For international calls just get a seperate calling card.

TeresaMac

Oct 7, 2010
Both Claro and Orange have prepaid phone as well as Internet (wireless) for which you just have to buy the dongle and prepaid cards. For internet I suggest Claro over Orange as it has wider coverage throughout the island. If your blackberry is GSM (has a SIM card) you should be able to get a similar card in The DR and just use your own phone.

Yes, I already unlocked my phone so that I'm able to hook it up there...

TeresaMac

Oct 7, 2010
i had a iphone (unlocked) with claro for a month paid about 1800RD for internet and phone plan.internet was slow in harabacoa area (like dial up slow)but got the job done.Should be a bit faster in SD.For international calls just get a seperate calling card.

Good advise thanks.... :D

TeresaMac

Oct 7, 2010
not an expert but I think that blackberry is the only cell with internet here and the service is only available on a year long contract

you can get a prepaid cell phone with a card.-.-. for about 20 bucks at any Claro store.. then just buy the cards as you need minutes

you can bring your laptop with the wireless access and use it any of the big malls in SD or in some of the internet cafes -.-.---

or probably your hotel....

since we move much slower here, few people need to be SO informed that they have to have instant access to the web...

I see so there is no way for me to pay up for an entire month?

Yeah I will be leaving my laptop behind, I don't want to be robbed at gun point... I've heard it happens there...

TeresaMac

Oct 7, 2010
I thought Verizon was CMDA and that their phones don't take SIM cards. Good to know that they do.

Yes you are correct, however their new phones have those capabilities.

I have the Blackberry Tour and I am able to insert whatever sim card I want... because is a global phone.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I see so there is no way for me to pay up for an entire month?

Yeah I will be leaving my laptop behind, I don't want to be robbed at gun point... I've heard it happens there...

puleeze---- WHERE are you planning to go? Thousands of people are walking around with their laptops in Santo Domingo every day...

And I have travelled up and down the border.. riding on the backs of moto conchos... with my laptop in my back pack with NEVER an issue...

(Of course, if you are going to be doing some sort of mission work deep in some drug barrio... then.--- well.-.-- then perhaps you should not bring your blackberry either.....)

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
sim card purchase

Can I buy a sim card for a phone I am bringing from canada. It will be unlocked. I am not a resident of DR but own a condo. I understand only someone who lives there can buy a sim card. Is this right or can I just walk into a Claro store and buy one?