Street Dogs: You Just Never Know...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
One sight folks from the more civilized, genteel lands need to get used to here in the DR is the large population of street dogs. They are everywhere in large numbers.

And it's obvious their lineage is definitely mixed. Heck, Heinz 57 doesn't do them genetic justice.

But once in a while you hear about someone taking in a cute little doggie that turned into a rare jewel for a family. I have one in Perla, she who survived poisoning a little over a year ago. But she's pretty much just a "purebred" street dog that hit the Doggie Lottery.

I think I found another one.

I've always been a big fan of Jack Russell terriers and have had 4 wonderful Jacks over a 15 year period. I've always been drawn to their energetic, friendly and brave nature, often described as "a very large dog in a very small body." I lost my last Jack before moving to the DR.

Yesterday I was playing golf at the Jarabacoa Golf Club with Wziel and DR1's bob saunders, along with one of Alida's cousins. When we got there I saw a frisky, friendly street puppy just having a ball with the caddies. When we finished the "10th Hole"...our equivalent of the 19th Hole...it was still there. So I went and played a little with her. The caddies said she had no owner and had been hanging around for a couple of days.

So I took her home, gave her a bath and a good meal. What a shock! She wasn't tan after all! And in one day she's completely fit in as a family member. Even Toby, Perla and the two cats accept her and enjoy playing.

Took her to the vet today for all her shots and de-worming (she has the roundish "worm" belly). He estimates she's 4-5 months old, and I'd agree.

It may be an enormous genetic coincidence, but I think this little girl has seriously dominant Jack Russell terrier traits: the color markings, the body shape/size (except her tail hasn't been cropped), the "broken" coat and the attitude and behavoral characteristics. The markings on her face are scruffy, her feet are larger and her ears don't flop, but everything else says "Jack", and I know Jacks fairly well.

Is it possible a Jack puppy was just walking around? Or a huge genetic coincidence?

What say you?

Here are pics of our yet unnamed new addition, name suggestions happily accepted:
DoggieIII.jpg

DoggieII-1.jpg

DoggieI.jpg

DoggieIV.jpg

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yea, it was love at first sight for you. Glad she?s fitting in with the rest of the pets. She?s mighty cute. Rats will be terrorized.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
She looks like a great little scruffbags, loads of personality. I would say her ears are a little big and possibly slightly overly pointed and her head a little narrow to be pure jack, but once she hits a 9-12 months she will fill that out so could be a jackpot for you as well as the dog.
Good look, looks like lots of fun for you.

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
Great looking dog. Good for you giving it a proper home which I am sure it deserves. Go golfing and bring home a dog - I know that feeling well. These dominican dogs are something else. Enjoy...tom

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Dog looks great! Love that second Photo!! Shows lots of class, great posture.

HOWEVER, those legs are butt-ugly! Crop that photo, please!!

With love and affection,

HB

expatsooner

Bronze
Aug 7, 2004
It is great that everyone is a winner in this - your family and the pup.

I would bet that there is a lot of J.R. in her background. They were very popular with several of my students and some went to the expense of importing purebreds. I can easily imagine male Jacks that are allowed to roam may end up covering some female street dogs or females that get lost and end up on the street having pups.

What a cutie. :bunny:

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
She's all over the place, non-stop. She's been playing "hit and run" with the other dogs and cats all morning.

Alida is calling her "Tornado." I wonder if it'll stick...

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Call him Eddy. He looks like the dogie that was on the show Frasier

Oh sorry it's a she, let me think about this

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Cute puppy. But looking at those ears and feet, I'd say that she has a bit more growing to do before you can really tell what breed she's going to favor. That's one of the drawbacks with mixed breeds.

Kudos to you for taking in a homeless pup.:)

Vince.

tarrantino

Jan 12, 2006
That is a cute and very lucky little puppy. I love to hear when smoeone takes in a stray dog or cat. You really could call her Eddie, short for Edwina.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Thugs in White Clown Suits

Call him Eddy. He looks like the dogie that was on the show Frasier

Frasier's Best Friend 'Eddie' Dies - Kelsey Grammer : People.com

Moose died at age 16. He was also starred in My Dog Skip.

There was a JRT running free in my neighborhood but I haven't seen him in a long time. He may have been someone's pet.

There's a bit of Jack in my terrier mix.

Here he is on the left with his sister from the same litter at age 4 months.

idswo2.jpg

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
hey, call her something dominican, like mangu or ahorita :)
i would suggest a sankie, since she is a dominican who has wormed up a way into gringo's heart but some may find it offensive ;)

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004