Land Lines vs Wireless

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I've noticed that most people in DR use wireless vs land lines in their homes and I'm wondering if this is because of lack of infrastructure, cost or just preference. The reason I'm asking is because all of the long distance carriers that offer flat rate deals to call from Canada to DR, such as Vonage only provide the service to land lines and the rates to call cells are always higher. The best rate I've been able to get so far is through Rebtel @ 8 cents a minute. Vonage's flat rate plan is $30 monthly for landlines only. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me approximately what the cost is to have a land line installed and what the monthly rates are for service. Thanks.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
It is normally based on some form of plan. Get a line installed with almost no minutes available on it is about 300RD per month, not sure what installation costs. You need to make sure the line is severly limited for outgoing calls or the bills just get HUGE. Then you can use your plan - BUT - double check it includes the DR. Many do not.

Feb 7, 2007
CODETEL:
The installation is anywhere from 0 to 1000 pesos, many times promotion for free installation, usually 500 to 1000 pesos if no promotion.

Monthly cost start at RD$495 per month plus 28% taxes, this includes 400 minutes of local/long distance/USA calling. Higher plans available.
http://www.codetel.com.do/detalle.aspx?id=2334

Wind Telecom:
Land line RD$128 + taxes (total RD$160) free installation, includes 100 local minutes, but this is VOIP and you need Internet for it.
Planes Locales

Tricom:
RD$275 per month + 28% taxes for 100 minutes per month or RD$500 + taxes for 400 minutes,higher plans available, calling to all local/long distance and USA numbers with the minutes.
Planes

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2007
Anybody interested PM me for a $10 per month (VOIP) plan which includes unlimited* minutes to 80 countries including DR landlines. Bring your own device, no contract, no setup. Pay monthly.

* well actually the minutes are limited to 2500 minutes per month, but based on 1 second billing (which means 2 calls of 30 seconds each will count as just 1 minute).

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Anybody interested PM me for a $10 per month (VOIP) plan which includes unlimited* minutes to 80 countries including DR landlines. Bring your own device, no contract, no setup. Pay monthly.

* well actually the minutes are limited to 2500 minutes per month, but based on 1 second billing (which means 2 calls of 30 seconds each will count as just 1 minute).

can you give us the name of the company?
By the way, I am waiting for wind telecom to start 4G and lets see how their system holds. Their voip plan is excellent and I am ready to program my ata unit to dominican number.
AZB

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Thanks a lot for the info. :)Right now Vonage does offer flat rate unlimited long distance from Canada to DR land lines in their World Plan for $30/month. I was just trying to figure out how feasible it would be to have a land line installed vs getting a majic jack (which is reliant on having a computer and with the power outages it's a problem). Right now we are both using prepaid long distance plans and if it would cost him the same to have land line vs. what he's spending on his cell bills it's something to consider. Hopefully, Vonage and other carriers will start to include calls to cells in their flat rate plans.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR

My girlfriends padrino lives in Providence Rhode Island and they talk quite a bit.
To all the naysayers, he IS her padrino.
Is there any way to keep tab of the minutes being used or does it just shut down at 2500 minutes OR what is the fee per minute to the states after 2500?
I am interested in this service......

B in Santiago

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I would suggest looking into GoogleTalk instead of getting a MagicJack at this time. GoogleTalk is free to call US and Canadian phones and does not require a dongle. You can buy minutes to talk to other countries. I have a MagicJack and hardly ever use it now.

Google Chat - Chat with family and friends

I've actually been looking into Google Talk through Gmail...a couple weeks ago and apparently it's not available for free international calls from Canada at this time and their paid rates were higher than what I'm paying with Rebtel. Unless they've updated this. I'll take another look I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I would suggest looking into GoogleTalk instead of getting a MagicJack at this time. GoogleTalk is free to call US and Canadian phones and does not require a dongle. You can buy minutes to talk to other countries. I have a MagicJack and hardly ever use it now.

How do I get Google Talk from here? I tried to sign up and got a notice saying it was not yet available in my country, meaning the DR.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast

Just went to check it out - GoogleTalk not available for MACs :disappoin

AE

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004

Can you plug in a regular phone and use it like Magicjack allows? I don't think so.
For me I don't care for a headset, I like a real phone.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Use skype it's a dream with Wi-fi

I use the Belkin F1PP010EN-SK Desktop Internet Phone for Skype
The computer does not have to be on.

Current price is: $86.99 U.S. at Amazon

r0e9o5.jpg

D in Tampa/Santiago