Camping

2thebeach

May 7, 2010
Does anyone have any experience with camping in the DR? We are moving there in March and would like to bring our tent and camping stuff but not sure if it is even allowed there...or safe to do so. Any advice on where to camp would be appreciated...particularly but not exclusively on the North Coast.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Go to a campsite, often a ranch here and you will be fine. I would call wild camping a defo no no unless you are really heading into mossy hell territory, this isn't the Lake district by z long shot but I do hear tales if the odd few brave enough to test out the humidity and nasty bugs in a modern tent. Probably be better off selling your modern camping gear and buying a yurt. I lived in one for 2 years in 40 degree heat, was surprisingly comfy, I'd have died in a modern set up.

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Does anyone have any experience with camping in the DR? We are moving there in March and would like to bring our tent and camping stuff but not sure if it is even allowed there...or safe to do so. Any advice on where to camp would be appreciated...particularly but not exclusively on the North Coast.

The Dominican Republic should be the camping capital of the Caribbean because we have the highest mountain range in the Cordillera Central. We are not the camping capital because there is no investment in infrastructure or promotion to develop hiking trails and camping sites. It's sad but true.

One of the better places to camp in the country is the Parque Nacional Valle Nuevo. I camped there two years back. It is Caribbean's highest savannah forest at about 7,500 ft above sea level. There are no official camp sites but no one will bug you if you set yourself up somewhere in the park. Most people camp close to the ranger station just in case there are any issues. There is also a small store if you need emergency items.

On the other hand, there are many off-the-map beaches where you can just prop a tent. Some that come to mind are: Bahia de la Aquilas (really not supposed to but who's gonna tell you no), Punta Rucia on the north coast, Playa Esmeralda in the east.

So, the same lack of organization that prevents us from having hiking trails and camping sites allows you to pitch a tent in many places you please without any hassle.

There's good and bad to everything...

Reactions: Tamborista

tjmurray

Bronze
Aug 11, 2006
Another thought are the numerous trails that reach Pico Duarte. They range from two days to seven days. You will need to hire a guide to hike these trails but you can use your camping equipment along the way or simply stay in the numerous small refuges within the park and along the trail.