Unlocking iPhone

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
Hola - I have a new iPhone I bought in US and then used in Mexico fine with a pay as you go SIM card only to find the handset appears to be blocked here in DR and I can't use it...

I am in Bavaro, does anyone know anywhere I can get it unlocked? I've never had this problem before - is it a simple procedure?

I may be returning to US next month - should I wait and get it done there at the apple store I bought it from?

I'm stuffed without my phone!

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
How were you able to use the phone in Mexico? ALL iPhones sold in the US are locked... and can't be unlocked by AT&T or Apple.

Can you provide more details on exactly what you've had done to the phone since you bought it?

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Hola - I have a new iPhone I bought in US and then used in Mexico fine with a pay as you go SIM card only to find the handset appears to be blocked here in DR and I can't use it...

I am in Bavaro, does anyone know anywhere I can get it unlocked? I've never had this problem before - is it a simple procedure?

I may be returning to US next month - should I wait and get it done there at the apple store I bought it from?

I'm stuffed without my phone!

It depends on what firmware is installed in your iphone and what model of iphone...2,3,3gs or 4.
bob

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
How were you able to use the phone in Mexico? ALL iPhones sold in the US are locked... and can't be unlocked by AT&T or Apple.

Can you provide more details on exactly what you've had done to the phone since you bought it?

Well - phone is a 3G new one from Apple after speaker broke on original.

When I got back to Mexico put in my TELCEL sim and it worked fine.

Bought a CLARO sim the other day and put it in and it doesn't work? Guy at Claro counter said it was locked.

Strange that it accepted my Mexico sim and not a DR one?

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
It depends on what firmware is installed in your iphone and what model of iphone...2,3,3gs or 4.
bob

Bob it's a 3G model, it's new as the speaker broke on my first one and Apple replaced with new one.

I didn't use it in US, just when I got back to Mexico and tried my MX sim - it worked, But here with a CLARO sim, no....

I'm afraid no idea what firmware is.....maybe this is the problem - my ineptitude with anything more complex than a calculator?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Go into Settings -> General -> About

You will see a bunch of info about the phone. Let us know what it says for "Version", "Model", and "Modem Firmware".

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
Go into Settings -> General -> About

You will see a bunch of info about the phone. Let us know what it says for "Version", "Model", and "Modem Firmware".

Hi, thanks a million, Version 4.1 (8B117) Model MB046LL Modem Firmware says 05-14-02

Any ideas?

InsanelyOne

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Well... I'm afraid I don't have an immediate solution. The only way for you to use a SIM card here would be to jailbreak & unlock your phone. It's not for the feint of heart and can result in a "bricked" phone.

You may try asking around at one of the local Orange or Claro shops to see if they can recommend someone to do the unlock for you.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Well... I'm afraid I don't have an immediate solution. The only way for you to use a SIM card here would be to jailbreak & unlock your phone. It's not for the feint of heart and can result in a "bricked" phone.

You may try asking around at one of the local Orange or Claro shops to see if they can recommend someone to do the unlock for you.
If you are in Santiago go to "Plaza Gurabo" Carretera Luperon and look for an Orange dealer, the name is Triband comunication.
They unlocked several phones for me in the past.

JJ

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
If you are in Santiago go to "Plaza Gurabo" Carretera Luperon and look for an Orange dealer, the name is Triband comunication.
They unlocked several phones for me in the past.

JJ

Thanks, however I am in Bavaro and we don't have transport. Looking for local solution!

losflor

Sep 4, 2010

Thanks, sounds a bit scary - what is a 'Bricked' phone? We asked at the Claro shop in Fuisa (?) about unblocking it and the guy just made sucking in noises through his teeth and said in was VERY expensive, he seemed as if I was the first person who had this problem.

Also I don't want to damage it, it's my only phone - well was.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Thanks, sounds a bit scary - what is a 'Bricked' phone? We asked at the Claro shop in Fuisa (?) about unblocking it and the guy just made sucking in noises through his teeth and said in was VERY expensive, he seemed as if I was the first person who had this problem.

Also I don't want to damage it, it's my only phone - well was.

I hit the wrong button and my 3GS upgraded to 4.01 and locked. A local shop unlocked it for me 25$ US. A Claro shop won't do it but there are others. If you have Cydia, all the easier. AZB your help is needed.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I hit the wrong button and my 3GS upgraded to 4.01 and locked. A local shop unlocked it for me 25$ US. A Claro shop won't do it but there are others. If you have Cydia, all the easier. AZB your help is needed.

If you had called me, I would have unlocked it for you for free or would have told you how to do it yourself. it was just a matter of going to a webpage and clicking. You are lucky it was firmware 4.0.1 and not 4.0.2. the latter has no fix. Now the 4.1 firmware is also without a jailbreak fix at the moment but it will be out soon (less than a week from today).
AZB

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
If you had called me, I would have unlocked it for you for free or would have told you how to do it yourself. it was just a matter of going to a webpage and clicking. You are lucky it was firmware 4.0.1 and not 4.0.2. the latter has no fix. Now the 4.1 firmware is also without a jailbreak fix at the moment but it will be out soon (less than a week from today).
AZB

Hi AZB, this sounds like a possible solution, I have version 4.1. This would be great if I can get it running.

Is the jailbreak option easy to do myself and could it alter the phones functions in any way? I will also be using this phone (hopefully) whilst passing through US and whilst visiting homeland UK.

Many thanks for your post - very helpful.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Hi AZB, this sounds like a possible solution, I have version 4.1. This would be great if I can get it running.

Is the jailbreak option easy to do myself and could it alter the phones functions in any way? I will also be using this phone (hopefully) whilst passing through US and whilst visiting homeland UK.

Many thanks for your post - very helpful.

The jailbreak is already done by the hackers but they are in the process of simplifying it for us to make it sort of like "one click" jailbreak trick. It will not alter any functions and you will be able to install all the free and paid (hacked) apps. Just wait and I will let you know when its out.
AZB

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Hi, thanks a million, Version 4.1 (8B117) Model MB046LL Modem Firmware says 05-14-02

Any ideas?

right now there is no jailbreak or unlock software for what you have....maybe this week...if you had something other than 05.14.02,you could downgrade to 4.0 and then unloc...but not with the 05.14.02 you have right now.
bob

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
The jailbreak is already done by the hackers but they are in the process of simplifying it for us to make it sort of like "one click" jailbreak trick. It will not alter any functions and you will be able to install all the free and paid (hacked) apps. Just wait and I will let you know when its out.
AZB

Thanks a million AZB, I will wait with anticipation!

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
right now there is no jailbreak or unlock software for what you have....maybe this week...if you had something other than 05.14.02,you could downgrade to 4.0 and then unloc...but not with the 05.14.02 you have right now.
bob

Thanks Bob, apparently I may be able to resolve this problem soon with a new jailbreak - I'll post how I get on.

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
AZB
I'm sure that's what the guy at the shop did. I was in a rush because I had to fly to Montreal the next day for a couple of weeks. I have several apps.(3rd party) that won't sinc. with Itunes. If the instructions are simple maybe you could pm to me. If not, when I get back I'll try to make the trip to Stgo. I'm back in the cold country again this time to visit some former Eddy's Angels who live in Boston & New York. I haven't seen them in years.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I'm sure that's what the guy at the shop did. I was in a rush because I had to fly to Montreal the next day for a couple of weeks. I have several apps.(3rd party) that won't sinc. with Itunes. If the instructions are simple maybe you could pm to me. If not, when I get back I'll try to make the trip to Stgo. I'm back in the cold country again this time to visit some former Eddy's Angels who live in Boston & New York. I haven't seen them in years.

The hell with syncing the apps on itunes. Just see if you have installous on your iphone and if you do, just download any app for free. If you don't have installous in your iphone, try to search on google how to get it. Then you will have all the APPS for free.
AZB