How Does The Postal\Mail System Work In The DR

THISDRLOVE

Sep 28, 2010
Hello to all, I have a rather serious question and am in need of direct urgent answers and instruction. I have to send a care package of medical supplies to my friend in Sosua. When I was In the DR last month I didnt remember seeing any mailboxes. (or house numbers, or post offices, or mail men) She lives in a shack back in the woods. She has given me her address a few times but without any street number. This is really difficult because I dont speak spanish and she doesnt speak english (dont ask) If I were to go to Fedex or UPS and send the package with what she has given me for the address with out a house number, how will (or will) she get the package?

I really dont remember seeing any Fedex or UPS either. How do you send something to someone who lives in a shack?

I would like to thank you in advance for anyone who can help me with this situation.

Reactions: waytogo

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The DR postal service or what passes for it is not really an option, especially for parcels. Use a private courier, provide the recipient's name and phone number and they will phone them on arrival.

Sosua residents will be able to tell you which courier (Fedex, etc) has a local office.

Reactions: THISDRLOVE

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
The DR postal service or what passes for it is not really an option, especially for parcels.

When I first came here five years ago I stayed at an AI in Puerto Plata, the Playa Dorado Wyndham. I had purchased about 10-12 postcards to send to various people in the states. I was told to leave them at the front desk with the proper postage and the front desk would see that they were PROPERLY mailed.
Thinking like a tourist and not really knowing about the ways of the land, I left the postcards with the money with the person in charge at the front desk.
Surprise surprise, NOT ONE PERSON EVER RECEIVED A POSTCARD.........

B in Santiago

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
She lives in a shack back in the woods. She has given me her address a few times but without any street number. How do you send something to someone who lives in a shack?

I have never laughed so hard on any previous post.......
I have to give this guy points just for making me laugh so much.....LOLOLOL
Even Homer likes it......

20hulgi.gif

B in Santiago

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
When I first came here five years ago I stayed at an AI in Puerto Plata, the Playa Dorado Wyndham. I had purchased about 10-12 postcards to send to various people in the states. I was told to leave them at the front desk with the proper postage and the front desk would see that they were PROPERLY mailed.
Thinking like a tourist and not really knowing about the ways of the land, I left the postcards with the money with the person in charge at the front desk.
Surprise surprise, NOT ONE PERSON EVER RECEIVED A POSTCARD.........

B in Santiago

I wish I'd taken a photo of a postbox I saw some months ago in Punta Cana that finally split open from the sheer pressure of what must have been several years worth of postcards mailed by optimistic, trusting tourists like you.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
EPS Sosua 809-571-3451

You can call here, they ship both ways via Fedex or UPS. They may want you to pay a fee to join. The rate to accept FEDEX is 200 pesos.

Reactions: THISDRLOVE

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
EPS Sosua 809-571-3451

You can call here, they ship both ways via Fedex or UPS. They may want you to pay a fee to join. The rate to accept FEDEX is 200 pesos.

Good idea, she can then p/u instead of someone trying to deliver to her in the shack in the woods......

B in Santiago

xtoclark

Jul 9, 2008
Hello to all, I have a rather serious question and am in need of direct urgent answers and instruction. I have to send a care package of medical supplies to my friend in Sosua. When I was In the DR last month I didnt remember seeing any mailboxes. (or house numbers, or post offices, or mail men) She lives in a shack back in the woods. She has given me her address a few times but without any street number. This is really difficult because I dont speak spanish and she doesnt speak english (dont ask) If I were to go to Fedex or UPS and send the package with what she has given me for the address with out a house number, how will (or will) she get the package?

I really dont remember seeing any Fedex or UPS either. How do you send something to someone who lives in a shack?

I would like to thank you in advance for anyone who can help me with this situation.

The mail service here works on a combination of magic, pixie dust and men on mopeds. Everytime I receive a letter through the mail I light a candle and plant a tree.

Use a third-party service.

THISDRLOVE

Sep 28, 2010
Thanks

The DR postal service or what passes for it is not really an option, especially for parcels. Use a private courier, provide the recipient's name and phone number and they will phone them on arrival.

Sosua residents will be able to tell you which courier (Fedex, etc) has a local office.

Thanks so Much!Chirimoya I really appreciate the info.

THISDRLOVE

Sep 28, 2010
Thanks

EPS Sosua 809-571-3451

Thanks so much for the info SKY. I will look into this option as immediately.

Feb 7, 2007
I know of one person who receives the mail via INPOSDOM (Instituto Postal Dominicano). Looks like not a single piece of mailing was lost and delivered to this person, in A CAMPO.
The sender was always US Social Security Administration ... I was always amazed at those letters arriving (with a loong delay but arriving indeed).

DRExplorer

Jan 1, 2007
In Sosua, you can check out this website from Banker Trust.
Mail Service in the Dominican Republic

Also, there is a post office in Puerto Plata, it is near the central park. Last year I sent a box (30 pounds) from the US and a friend had to wait a month and also had to pay 1500 pesos to receive the package. One thing for sure though, it is best to have the name and phone number attached to the shipping label. I think they now have a website for mail service in DR.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Dear "Thisdrlove"..I Have The Answer To Your Problem !!!

I just took the time to scan your 60 plus posts. "Boooooring"!
Most of the topics have been "CLOSED" by the moderator ! "YEAH!" for moderstors!
Don't send ANY packages,ooooooor $$$$ to a dominican beach hooker who lives in a "Shack" in Sosua!! You are mistaking sex for money with a "Gringo John" for somekind of "LOVE"!!!
I AM not CRITISIZING YOU,BUT TRYING TO SAVE YOU TIME,and MONEY!
I "bEEN tHERE,AND "dONE tHAT",BOUGHT THE "t" SHIRT,AND sENT THE POSTCARD" WITH dOMINICAN wHORES",NOT TO MENTION,tHAILAND,PHILLIPINES,mEXICO,hONGCONG,tAIPEI,Japan,Vietnam,Singapore....well,you get the idea!
Just ENJOY the great sex,pay for the "Ticket" and take the ride. But stop thinking you are anything more than a "customer" to your hooker !
Cris Colon CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCc

Reactions: bienamor and SKY

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Gee, Cris, you , you mean she really isn't sick and dying? Her mother is not suffering from a rare form of diabetes and needs these expensive over the counter meds to save her??? Oh my! I am distressed to hear this.

HB :blushing:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
some years back, my Dominican friend's wife gave birth to a son, and my friends and i sent him a greeting card, along with a money order, as a gift. we saw him six months later, and were all a little distressed that he did not acknowledge any gratitude for the thought, but we let it slide, as an oversight on his part. two years later, he sent us all an email, thrilled to receive the gift...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
So, What's Your Point????

Dominican "BRAINS",( Is that an OXYMORON???) take 2 years to "work"???
If I had a PESO for every "My Mother is in "La Clinica" story I have ever heard,I could retire in the Dominican Republic!!!
Wait a "Momento",I already am retired in the Dominican Re"pubic"!:laugh::laugh::laugh:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Are ALL Dominican "Mothers" diabetic,or just the mothers of all the "Cueros" I have ever met ?

JDFriend

the Translator
May 15, 2007
Great post!!!

Dominican "BRAINS",( Is that an OXYMORON???) take 2 years to "work"???
If I had a PESO for every "My Mother is in "La Clinica" story I have ever heard,I could retire in the Dominican Republic!!!
Wait a "Momento",I already am retired in the Dominican Re"pubic"!:laugh::laugh::laugh:
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Are ALL Dominican "Mothers" diabetic,or just the mothers of all the "Cueros" I have ever met ?

You guys make me laugh.... :laugh: I read it 15min ago and I'm still laughing!