What is this Tribunal in the D.R. that oversees possible child abuse

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
My girlfriend just informed me that her girlfriend has to go before some sort of Tribunal for hitting her 5 year old child. From what I understand the mother took her financial frustrations out on her daughter and hit her in the back with a strap or belt of some kind. I know both involved and for this mother to do this she had to have been on the verge of losing her mind. She thinks she will have to go to jail, and she probably deserves some time to ponder about the terrible thing that she did. What normally happens in a case like this and how much time could she possibly receive? This took place in Santiago......

B in Santiago

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
My girlfriend just informed me that her girlfriend has to go before some sort of Tribunal for hitting her 5 year old child. From what I understand the mother took her financial frustrations out on her daughter and hit her in the back with a strap or belt of some kind. I know both involved and for this mother to do this she had to have been on the verge of losing her mind. She thinks she will have to go to jail, and she probably deserves some time to ponder about the terrible thing that she did. What normally happens in a case like this and how much time could she possibly receive? This took place in Santiago......

B in Santiago

Why does she need time to "ponder"? What terrible thing did she do? It sounds like a spanking to me.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Why does she need time to "ponder"? What terrible thing did she do? It sounds like a spanking to me.

Well I didn't want to go into details, but you asked. Apparently the bruise (welt) was so severe on the 5 year olds back that when she went to school the teacher called the authorities. I was told it was across her entire back and needed a doctor to look at it. This mother and child have been to my home many times and this child is not a problem child in any sense of the word. Also the mother loves her daughter without question and I believe she just lost her head FROM BEING ON THE VERGE OF BEING EVICTED FROM HER APARTMENT.
But the school thought it was severe punishment and not just "a spanking".

B in Santiago

Last edited:

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I didnt see no rule book about butt only spankings?
And how do you know the child did nothing to deserve it? It cant be solely because of age can it?

What if the child were playing with matches?
Or running into traffic without looking?
Or cutting up his school clothes?
Or throwing rocks at glass houses?
Or spitting on his cousin or sister?

Are these non-spank worthy offenses?

I say "Spare the rod, spoil the child, fear the tigre, and marry the chopo."

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
And how do you know the child did nothing to deserve it? It cant be solely because of age can it?

A butt spanking can be good, hence I have had many in my live. But there's nothing that can justify the beating of a child.

Reactions: bob saunders

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Well I didn't want to go into details, but you asked. Apparently the bruise (welt) was so severe on the 5 year olds back that when she went to school the teacher called the authorities. I was told it was across her entire back and needed a doctor to look at it. This mother and child have been to my home many times and this child is not a problem child in any sense of the word. Also the mother loves her daughter without question and I believe she just lost her head FROM BEING ON THE VERGE OF BEING EVICTED FROM HER APARTMENT.
But the school thought it was severe punishment and not just "a spanking".

B in Santiago

I dont know you and I dont know her, so i can safely say that maybe you dont know her as well as you think. People here put on airs in front of other people, especially a "dignified American caballero como tu".

And I dont buy too much into Conani efforts in this because the "child protection services" is so one sided. The families who dont send their children to school are just as much in need of an investigation of neglect at this mother may be. To me, illiteracy is severe punishment. And so is statutory sexual intercourse of minor age females. But not really the concern of Conani or the government.

I dont advocate abuse of children nor unnecessary punishment, but to me in this country corporal punishment is treated literally with "kid gloves". There seems to be a rational and excuse for all sort of anti-social behavior when executed by children. Not grasping that when the child becomes an adult doing the same things with no course of correction from his parents that society does not and will not look at it the same way they do when little Junior was learning to walk.

Even when they do spank here its more like swatting mosquitos. Where is the fear of future wrongdoing or the comprehension that your behavior or actions were dangerous or unpleasant and is what caused this spanking to occur? I m telling you this is where your delicuentes and tigueraje come from.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Non of the above deserve a belt cross the back severe enough to have medical treatment for.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
This little girl has been going to school for 3 months. Her mother hit her because she doesn't know after 3 months how to write.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
Non of the above deserve a belt cross the back severe enough to have medical treatment for.

But you dont know she needed medical treatment. The statement, "[t]hey called a doctor to come and take a look at it." There are 5 premises in that statement that can mean anything.

All the information posted here is 3 person and still open to bias and influence from the people telling the tale. The initial story was she hit the child because of financial difficulties in her household, then she was getting evicted, now because the girl is a bit "slow", whatever that means for a 5 year old. There are so many details here that the only conclusions we could make are all in absolutes, "no one should abuse a child."

And if the child cannot write after 3 months, to me that isnt a spanking offense, but there may be a need for the child to receive some extra attention. There may be a learning disability, she may not know the alphabet, she may not be interested in learning at this time or she may need glasses. She s only 5 there is no rush to write, children move at different speeds.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Even when they do spank here its more like swatting mosquitos. Where is the fear of future wrongdoing or the comprehension that your behavior or actions were dangerous or unpleasant and is what caused this spanking to occur? I m telling you this is where your delicuentes and tigueraje come from.

I've personally seen severe slaps to the face, punches in the head, whacks all over the body with a stick, and this on children below the age of 8. One of the cleaners at the school gave her 8 year old daughter a black eye and swollen lip. She was reported for abuse and her daughter was taken away for 2 months and she had to attend counselling to get her back as well as attend court.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I've personally seen severe slaps to the face, punches in the head, whacks all over the body with a stick, and this on children below the age of 8. One of the cleaners at the school gave her 8 year old daughter a black eye and swollen lip. She was reported for abuse and her daughter was taken away for 2 months and she had to attend counselling to get her back as well as attend court.

I guess I got better luck than you because I havent seen that mess. I ve seen the "you wanna pow-pow?" and the spoken "POW!" was more intimidating than the physical "POW!"

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Wow, things have really changed since my kids were small I guess. None of the kids in my husband's family were ever spanked, I remember one time my son ran into the street [he was about 2-3 yrs old] in front of my in-law's house, and I swatted him on the butt while telling him he must never do that again. You would think I was an ax murderer the way his brother reacted. Almost 30 years later and I still remember. Lots of grandkids in that family, some have their own kids now, and none were spanked except the mean gringa's kids [ours!]. All these years I've been under the impression that Dominicans don't ever spank/hit their kids.

Anyway, I've been told that slapping a kid on the butt is light years away from using a belt, shoe, etc., because if you don't use your open hand you won't feel how hard you are hitting and can do some serious damage. IMO, if the teacher saw welts from a belt that was more than a spanking, and should have been reported. I'm actually surprised and glad it was done.

AE

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I guess I got better luck than you because I havent seen that mess. I ve seen the "you wanna pow-pow?" and the spoken "POW!" was more intimidating than the physical "POW!"

LOL Racer, our 4 yr old grandson has never been spanked, but he's such a good little kid [didn't take after his mother, haha] - but he knows what pow-pow means! And you're right, with him just mentioning pow-pow is enough. ;)

AE

Jul 4, 2010
The Ministry of Education has recently instituted a new policy prioritizing the emotional and physical well being of primary school children over academic performance. I found this out recently through an informal conversation with my youngest son's school director. I was actually surprised to hear it, albeit very glad.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Doe's anyone know the procedure at these hearings? If they take the child away from her for a period of time, will she be put in a foster home or given to a family member?
Before she would go into a foster home, my girlfriend and I want to take her in because we know she will be treated all right, and her school is only one block away.
Would we need to show up at the hearing with the mother or what? I now have my permanent residence status if that is factored in.......