reliable taxi from sdq to las terrenas

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
why do my plans start out so simple and then get so complicated :) my brother is now flying into sdq to join the wife and i for a few days and i need to get him from sdq to LT. i am a bad brother who does not want to spend 5plus hours going to get him:smoke: but wish to arrange something for him. last time i used the takeoff shuttle service but noticed their rates have gone up to 220$ and thought maybe someone could recommend something better. will just be one person with just a carry on bag and we would meet him in a convenient location (or pick him up in a gutter somewhere:) )... any suggestion would be appreciated, thx ben

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I used a taxi and they charged me 180 USD (I haggled the price :) ), but it is because I travel with children. If I was by myself with a carry on back I would just take la guagua to LT or the bus to Sanchez.
By the way, the trip took around 3 hours.

If you still want the name and number of the Taxi, PM me. I have used him from/to POP and SDQ, very reliable.

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
ty aida. if it were me i would take the bus/guagua as well. since it is my brothers first time in the DR and he speaks no spanish a direct taxi would be prefered. i thought it was the least i could do to find him a ride since i am being greedy and unbrotherly in not wanting to go and get him, even though he used flyer miles and got his flights for $25 :) i have also asked the people we are renting from if they know someone but if all else fails i may take you up on your offer. thanks again, ben

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
His name is Tato Martinez 829-380-3295 or 829-240-6217. (Not sure if he speaks English or not). He has a couple of mini-vans and is a licensed "taxi turistico".
whoever you use, the normal price is 200 USD.

Hope it helps!

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
thanks again folks. ron, do you know whether the flight to portillo leaves from SDQ? i have been confused on this and thought you would need a taxi to the other airport west of santo domingo (50+ mins) and with this taken into consideration thought it best for a taxi. if the flight does indeed leave from SDQ that would be best. thx, ben

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
You're right Ben. They have stopped flying out of SDQ and depart from La Isabela "Hig?ero".

CG

Bronze
Sep 16, 2004
Might or might not be able to help.
What day & what time is he arriving? .

You might want to pm this...
CG

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
For my clients I use an American driver with excellent vehicles and he knows the country since he has been living here for quiet some years. If you're interested PM me and I'll forward you his email and phone number.

susan77

Jan 19, 2008
Hey Ben--- If your brother is also returning to SDQ, have him get a rental car for $180/week from Thrifty and drive himself! It is so easy on the new highway that even I (a non-Spanish-speaking-gringa) do it all the time! I have very easy-to-follow directions that I give our rental guests if you need them...
Susan

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
he will be riding back to sdq with us. i hope i will be able to arrange something for him in LT once i get there and if not i will fetch him myself :)
i am sort of disappointed he spent his flyer miles to only spend 3 nights with us and he does not mind paying for the transfer. once again if anyone knows a cabbie in LT let me know, thanks, ben

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
he will be riding back to sdq with us. i hope i will be able to arrange something for him in LT once i get there and if not i will fetch him myself :)
i am sort of disappointed he spent his flyer miles to only spend 3 nights with us and he does not mind paying for the transfer. once again if anyone knows a cabbie in LT let me know, thanks, ben

I posted the number of the one I have been using on my trip (see post #4). I highly recommend him.

I agree 3 nights is way too short in LT :)