Dog Kenneling question

pinklizard

Oct 10, 2010
Hello everyone.

This is my first post, though I've been reading for a while. I'll get right down to business though. We have been living in Santo Domingo for about 2 months now, we have our dog here, and I was wondering what people do when they go home for vacation. He is a big dog, so getting him here was really a night-mare. I don't think we'll do that again until it's time for all of us to move back home in 3 years.

We are planning to go home for Christmas, but I am not sure what to do with my dog for the 2-3 weeks that I'll be gone. That seems like a long time to have him in a kennel. Any suggestions, tips, advice? Thanks so much in advance.

Misty

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
there used to be a dogboarding place in cabrera called perros del norte...

Our friend who ran it, moved back to Mexico, but I heard he passed the business on.

If you cannot find it on google, pm me, and I can find the info for you>

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
They live in Santo Domingo so Cabrara is a long way away.

You might talk to some of the local vets for a reccomendation. Another alternative is to have some one "house sit" for you while you are away. This way the dog is taken care of and you house is not empty for a period of time.

Bob K

Reactions: Celt202

hadac

Oct 11, 2010
It is very difficult to get a dog to live normally as a family pet if kept in a dog kennel. And the job of keeping a dog kenneled has to be done by an experienced person, for dogs that live in small places tend to be aggressive.Many of them spend the day in a dog kennel and are guardians at night, which means they have no relation with people whatsoever.

If you are dog kenneling, please take the dog out for a walk frequently and periodically. Praise it every time he does something right, and say an energetic No! Every time it does something it shouldn't. Once the dog gets used to being free in sdog kenneland around people, it won't bark as much and it will probably be a lot calmer and happy.,...copied

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Servican Pet Center
Calle Rafael Hern?ndez # 16-B Naco, Santo Domingo

Directions to Servican: go west on Roberto Pastoriza, pass Tiradentes , take first right on San Martin de Porres, first left on Rafael Hern?ndez; Servican is about 200 yards down on the left.

For a stay of two or three weeks your dog can be housed at their offsite property near Los Alcarrizos where a dog is housed in a fenced in area with room to run.

For short term stays they have several options. Cages in an airconditioned room or a room with a fan.

It's worth visiting the Naco office to discuss the options.

(809) 566-2897

Map:
http://www.colonialzone-dr.com/stodgo_map-lenin.pdf
Quadrant G-6

pinklizard

Oct 10, 2010
It is very difficult to get a dog to live normally as a family pet if kept in a dog kennel. And the job of keeping a dog kenneled has to be done by an experienced person, for dogs that live in small places tend to be aggressive.Many of them spend the day in a dog kennel and are guardians at night, which means they have no relation with people whatsoever.

If you are dog kenneling, please take the dog out for a walk frequently and periodically. Praise it every time he does something right, and say an energetic No! Every time it does something it shouldn't. Once the dog gets used to being free in sdog kenneland around people, it won't bark as much and it will probably be a lot calmer and happy.,...copied

I am not looking to keep my dog in a kennel for his life, just for a couple of weeks when we go back to the states for a visit. Thanks for your help though.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I will try to visit the Servican pet Center. Has anyone had someone "house-sit" before? I have never done it. Do you use a teenager or young adult?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I am not looking to keep my dog in a kennel for his life, just for a couple of weeks when we go back to the states for a visit. Thanks for your help though.

Thanks for the other suggestions. I will try to visit the Servican pet Center. Has anyone had someone "house-sit" before? I have never done it. Do you use a teenager or young adult?

Not a teenager as house sit for the dogs. I do not know your dogs but dogs can react very strange to teenagers known to them or strangers.
If you want more info you can alway's pm me.