The Best of Sosua

Mar 2, 2008
In the words of AlterEgo:

POSITIVE Sosua Stories?????
I'd like to hear some of the positives about Sosua, there must be some.

So, all of you folks who LIVE in Sosua, let's hear the reasons you happily stay there. NOT because of the readily available women. NOT because you can't sell your place.

Anyone? I know you're out there!!!

AE

I think AlterEgo's post might have gotten lost in another, rather contentious thread.

In any event, I think it was a great suggestion, and I would like to see some POSITIVE experiences posted here, with respect to AlterEgo's wishes.

I know there were many already posted on the other thread, but they got were minimized amidst some petty bickering and the ubiquitous anti- Sosua side-show put on by the usual array of clowns.

I will start by saying I have been vacationing in Sosua for nearly 6 years (never once staying in an All-inclusive), and I have lived here full-time for almost 2 years.

In my opinion, Sosua, and in fact all of POP province, is completely unique. There is no where in the world where one can travel and see such a wide variety of interesting people, places, and sights.

First and foremost, The North Coast of the DR is home to some extremely warm, wonderful and intriguing people, both Dominican and ex-pat. These people are the back-bone of the North Coast. They come from all over the globe, and each individual has their own totally unique history and background.

For the most part, these inhabitants of the North Coast are very adventurous and extremely well-traveled. They have seen many places in their travels, and they are more than willing to share their experiences with others. In addition, those who chose to stay here have based their decision to do so upon years of experience.

In general, these people are also very well educated, and have lead interesting and successful lives in their respective home-countries and elsewhere around the world.

There are, of course, the occasional crooks that enter the mix, but they simply add a touch of color and make us all that much more watchful and aware of our surroundings.

I won't get into the beautiful weather, water, and women. Those qualities go without saying, and I will let others expound upon those qualities. For me, the most valuable asset of the North Coast is the array of truly interesting and engaging people.

I love it here!

Reactions: Chelleyyyyy

Chelleyyyyy

Apr 7, 2007
I, like you, love Sosua!

What I love most is how welcoming and polite the people that I have met are. The hospitality is what really catches me. I don't speak Spanish all too well, but never, have I ever felt more welcomed in people's homes. There is always an enormous amount of food, conversation (half the time I always think people are arguing, but it never is lol ;)), laughs, hugs and kisses. It really is amazing to me. While out at the campo (where I really have a hard time communicating) people are always trying to converse with me. It's quite a sight to see! Lots of hand gestures and ssllooww speaking usually does the trick! I always left with a handful of goodies that I WISH I could recreate in Canada. Needless to say, I think hospitality is one thing that I admire most about my travels to Sosua. I've never seen anything quite like it before.

Reactions: woofsback

rsg

Bronze
Oct 21, 2008
Apples to Oranges.. Not everyone likes the same place...

But what really makes me laugh is all the soooo called expert expats who love to bash Sosua, but many of them started out in Sosua, and indulged in the same things that they once did...:ermm:..

Reactions: DavidZ

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
not all

i would say most instead of all
seems the worst bashers know more about sosua than thier own home towns :)

i don't live in sosua yet...but if and when the time were to come,
the decision would be mine to make and i would be happy to integrate with those that have no shallow attitudes about life :)

sosua is a gem
that only those with the PROPER eyesight will ever see :)

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Hotel D'Piero 809-571-3700 $35/nite includes breakfast, nice pool, fridge.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Hotel D'Piero 809-571-3700 $35/nite includes breakfast, nice pool, fridge.

Is Willie still cooking there? He cooks the best pasta in town. Hotel is very good, but not close to the beach.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Is Willie still cooking there? He cooks the best pasta in town. Hotel is very good, but not close to the beach.

Willie is there. Josefina too, makes a good spagetti Carbonara It's a 7 minute walk to beach and at 35US price is right, good hotel.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
The shade trees at the beach, the winding streets, the quietness and tranquility, close to good surfing and kite boarding, lots of good gyms, lots of shade trees as its an old town.