Happy Thanksgiving to all the Canadians out there

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
It's been a tough year for a lot of people out there but we still have so much to be thankful for.

Have a great day.

Any Thanksgiving dinners going on in the DR today?

Reactions: Ladybird

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
Happy Thanksgiving Anna. :classic:
We had our Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday.
You are right that we have so much to be thankful for today and every day. :classic:

Unfortunately today is also a sad time for my family and I as my cousin passed away yesterday from cancer. :cry:

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Happy Thanksgiving to you, guys! I had no idea that date for this holiday was different in Canada. I guess, I learned something new today. ;)

I am sorry about death in the family. It is always sad to see someone go away.

Reactions: Malibook
Mar 2, 2008
My condolences, Malibook.

I am sorry for your loss, but I am happy to see you posting again, in any event. It's been awhile, and I am thankful to see you are still with us.

And, Happy Thanksgiving to Canada, and to all my Canadian friends. Some of the best people in the world, and some of my best friends I have met here in Sosua.

Pedro's Wife 09

Mar 28, 2010
Thanksgiving

Happy Thanksgiving & Columbus day for our American friends. On a day to reflect and give thanks ,What is everyone greatful for?

Reactions: mike l

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I am grateful that I still have my Mom who is 75 years old. I think she managed to get to this age because I brought her to live in nice conditions in the US and pay for all of her medical treatments. Usually people don't live that long where I came from. :(

Reactions: mike l

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Yes, AnnaC-Happy Thanksgiving to you and the rest of our Canadian brothers and sisters.

And my sincerest condolences to Malibook and her family.

Last edited:

Ladybird

Bronze
Dec 15, 2003
dreamteamdownloads1.com
Happy Thanksgiving All You Lovely Canadians

Thanksgiving Day (Canada)

Canada20flag-XL-anim.gif

Thanksgiving.
Wiki.

Shopping for pumpkins for Thanksgiving in Canada is a tradition. A celebration of being thankful for what one has and the bounty of the previous year. Date Second Monday in October 2010 date October 11

Celebrations Spending Time with Family, feasting, religious practice Thanksgiving, or Thanksgiving Day (Canadian French: Jour de l'Action de gr?ce), occurring on the second Monday in October (since 1959), is an annual Canadian holiday to give thanks at the close of the harvest season. Although the original act of Parliament references God and the holiday is celebrated in churches, the holiday is now mostly celebrated in a secular manner.

On January 31, 1957, the Canadian Parliament proclaimed:

? A Day of General Thanksgiving to Almighty God for the bountiful harvest with which Canada has been blessed ? to be observed on the 2nd Monday in October. ? Canadian Thanksgiving coincides with Columbus Day in the United States and the Dia de la Raza in most of Latin America.

Traditional celebration

Thanksgiving is a statutory holiday in most jurisdictions of Canada, with the provinces of Prince Edward Island, Newfoundland and Labrador, New Brunswick and Nova Scotia being the exceptions. Where a company is regulated by the federal government (such as those in the telecommunications and banking sectors), it is recognized regardless of status provincially.

As a liturgical festival, Thanksgiving corresponds to the English and continental-European Harvest festival, with churches decorated with cornucopias, pumpkins, corn, wheat sheaves, and other harvest bounty, English and European harvest hymns sung on the Sunday of Thanksgiving weekend, and scriptural selections drawn from biblical stories relating to the Jewish harvest festival of Sukkot.

While the actual Thanksgiving holiday is on a Monday, Canadians might eat their Thanksgiving meal on any day of the three-day weekend, though Sunday and Monday are the most common. While Thanksgiving is usually celebrated with a large family meal, it is also often a time for weekend getaways.

Owing to Canada's proximity to the United States, American traditions such as parades and football have crossed the border and been adapted into Canadian traditions. The Kitchener-Waterloo Oktoberfest Parade serves as the nation's only Thanksgiving Day parade and is broadcast nationwide on CTV and A. Canada's top professional football league, the Canadian Football League, holds a nationally televised doubleheader known as the "Thanksgiving Day Classic." It is one of two weeks in which the league plays on Monday afternoons, the other being the Labour Day Classic. Unlike the Labour Day games, the teams that play on the Thanksgiving Day Classic rotate each year.

History

Various First Nations in Canada had long-standing traditions celebrating the harvest and giving thanks for a successful bounty of crops. Canada's First Nations and Native Americans throughout the Americas, including the Pueblo, Cherokee, Cree and many others organized harvest festivals, ceremonial dances, and other celebrations of thanks for centuries before the arrival of Europeans in North America.

The history of Thanksgiving in Canada goes back to an explorer, Martin Frobisher, who had been trying to find a northern passage to the Pacific Ocean. Frobisher's Thanksgiving was not for harvest but homecoming. He had safely returned from a search for the Northwest Passage, avoiding the later fate of Henry Hudson and Sir John Franklin. In the year 1578, he held a formal ceremony in Newfoundland to give thanks for surviving the long journey. The feast was one of the first Thanksgiving celebrations by Europeans in North America. Frobisher was later knighted and had an inlet of the Atlantic Ocean in northern Canada named after him ? Frobisher Bay.

At the same time, French settlers, having crossed the ocean and arrived in Canada with explorer Samuel de Champlain, in 1604 onwards also held huge feasts of thanks. They even formed 'The Order of Good Cheer' and gladly shared their food with their First Nations neighbours.

After the Seven Years' War ended in 1763 handing over of New France to the British, the citizens of Halifax held a special day of Thanksgiving. Thanksgiving days were observed beginning in 1799 but did not occur every year. After the American Revolution, American refugees who remained loyal to Great Britain moved from the newly independent United States and came to Canada. They brought the customs and practices of the American Thanksgiving to Canada. The first Thanksgiving Day after Canadian Confederation was observed as a civic holiday on April 5, 1872 to celebrate the recovery of the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) from a serious illness.
Starting in 1879 Thanksgiving Day was observed every year, but the date was proclaimed annually and changed year to year.[citation needed] The theme of the Thanksgiving holiday also changed each year to reflect an important event to be thankful for. In its early years it was for an abundant harvest and occasionally for a special anniversary.

After World War I, both Armistice Day and Thanksgiving were celebrated on the Monday of the week in which November 11 occurred.[citation needed] Ten years later, in 1931, the two days became separate holidays, and Armistice Day was renamed Remembrance Day.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
As posted on my Facebook account....

I am so very thankful for:

- my kickass family (original family, in-law family, rockstar husband, doggies, kitten and donkeys included!!) and all my friends near and far
- our school/camp/project and all the fabulous people who have supported us along the way
- our beautiful home
- the wonderful huge-hearted people of Cabrera
- and of course..... extra sharp cheddar cheese!! ;)

(There are plenty more, but I think those top the list!)

Happy Thanksgiving Canada!!!

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
Thanks Anna C & back at ya! My family had a great Thanksgiving dinner in Canada over the weekend. We even did some cross boarder shopping in NY. Having grown up in the US, though I still haven't gotten used to celebrating TG in October. I usually end up craving turkey again in November. Maybe this year I'll celebrate both!