some shyster gets involved and tries to increase his profit
the kid with dreams only follows who he trusts

like the government and the police
time to clean shop and start over :)

Marianopolita

Former Spanish forum Mod 2010-2021
Dec 26, 2003
Good article Cleef----

This is a good article and it addresses a serious issue in baseball today. In simple terms, I see the situation from two angles:

1/ "Putting the nail in your own coffin"- I refer to the PED usage and the role of the buscones (note the correct plural form in Spanish not "Busc?ns"). All they care about is the money they could earn off each potential prospect who gets signed with the MLB. Like all things in life sooner or later it catches up to you. However, the players with great potential will be affected because this is going really hamper the chances for good Dominican ball players to get in the Major Leagues.

2) "Out of evil cometh good"- I am pro the education aspect in all this and before I could even get to the end of the article I was already thinking that these ball players really need to do something about their education. The vast majority have the bare minimum and it really does show in many situations in their pro career- the way they speak, how they carry themselves, social skills etc. Education, the ability to speak well, bilingualism would be a bonus and respectable social conduct on and off the field is what I believe are important. In my opinion, Dominican ball players who make it to the Major Leagues and are key players for their team should be role models for the youth in the DR. It's definitely time to turn the tables around.

-MP.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
The new unregulated market in Venezuela will calm down as soon as the inevitable scandals surface. Certainly Dominicans will have to adjust to the alien concept of following the rules but once they are on board the talent will still be there for generations to come.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
That is sad and embarassing, a black eye to the RD...:(

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
This could be a blessing in disguise.

Do you guys know how many kids that could be studying instead spend their times trying to get accepted in the training camps? How many, once accepted, are trying to get signed? How many, once signed, actually make it to the MLB?

Too many kids are drooling over a dream that for most of them will remain nothing but a dream, sooner or later a shattered dream. Then what?

No education, shattered ego, lost of something to aspire to.... can we say rise in crime?

Most of those kids should focus on a more realistic goal and this cooling of the Dominican baseball frenzy can be just what's needed.

I have never been convinced that this baseball frenzy has been good for the country. Personally, I think it creates problems leaving hundreds, perhaps thousands of kids and young adults in utter failure and with no future while two or three folks make it big.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
Thanks for posting the article, Cleef. Very interesting.

Funny how baseball academy owner Victor Baez, who says he only gives his players protein shakes and vitamin B12 injections because he can't afford to feed his players meat, has enough money to shoot them up with steroids.

So he is threatening to quit running his academy and in typical fashion, he is blaming someone else for the fact that there is a drop-off in Dominican signings to the major leagues even when all 5 of his top-40 prospects have tested positive for steroids.

These guys are unbelievable.

Last edited:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
This could be a blessing in disguise.

Do you guys know how many kids that could be studying instead spend their times trying to get accepted in the training camps? How many, once accepted, are trying to get signed? How many, once signed, actually make it to the MLB?

Too many kids are drooling over a dream that for most of them will remain nothing but a dream, sooner or later a shattered dream. Then what?

No education, shattered ego, lost of something to aspire to.... can we say rise in crime?

Most of those kids should focus on a more realistic goal and this cooling of the Dominican baseball frenzy can be just what's needed.

I have never been convinced that this baseball frenzy has been good for the country. Personally, I think it creates problems leaving hundreds, perhaps thousands of kids and young adults in utter failure and with no future while two or three folks make it big.

Typical opinion of the Dominican Elite. "No juegues pelota, eso es un juego para chopos morenos y limpiabotas".