How to handle road rage in D.R.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
before i put in any of my questions, opinion, or concerns. i will tell the story

A friend going home with her brothers in Santo Domingo after spending the weekend with their parents in Ocoa. The brothers are 18, she is 24, and has her 5 year old daughter with her. One of the brothers is driving. They get into a traffic accident/dispute with a motto-conche driver and pull to the side of the road The driver gets out pulls a gun on them and smashed their front window then rides off......Clearly they were just shocked, scared, and just happy that nothing else happened.

I am wondering what were their options?

1st I'm glad the boys were young and didn't have their own gun or else there would have probably been a shootout.

In the U.S. i have seen this happen. the victims would take the plates down call the police. The police would eventually find the car and punish the owner/driver. Is that a viable option in D.R.?
Are their laws regarding road rage?
is the legal and motor vehicle/transit system competent enough to handle this type of investigation?

I visit often and i am a aggressive driver and adapt to the Santo Domingo way of driving quickly. This isn't the 1st time i have heard of road rage and gun play related to it in D.R. i am just wondering what my true options are since neither violence or gun play are things i am interested in.

how do i call when i get into a traffic accident and dispute?
the embassy?
the police? which branch/division?
is there a equivalent to 911 to call?
If i am on one of those carreteras outside of the capital who do i call?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Next time don't stop unless you have to. Nothing good can come of stopping.

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
anyone ever try to talk sense to an intoxicated person...
you will get nowhere until they straighten up

same with road rage
the person upset WILL NOT listen to reason and is EXTREMELY unpredictable

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If Your Vehicle Can Run, RUN!

After 20 years driving here I have had a "FEW" accidents! I have alway "Left The Scene". If I see a policeman,I stop,give him 500 pesos,and tell him that there is "Un Loco" chasing me!!! When the "other" guy pulls up,if his car is still moving, The policeman pulls him over and starts yelling at him,and I leave!
Oh,my next-door-neighbor is a General in the "Policia National" :rolleyes::classic:
cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

Reactions: Adrian Bye
Jan 5, 2006
Since you probably have more to loose than the other party involved, I suggest that you drive away and live to fight another day. ;)

el forastero

Bronze
Oct 25, 2009
If you are living and driving in the DR, then you need to pay for the Casa de Conductores coverage. Then should something happen, you just drive directly there and tell them your story. Tell the other party, or the cop who shows up that you are going to the Casa de Conductores in Santo Domingo, from wherever in the DR the accident occurred. Then go.

There are cops, a judge, insurance company reps, etc. there. They will file your report. They will deal with the other party's insurance and keep you out of it. If you had the misfortune to injure or kill someone else with your vehicle, you will stay overnight in their motel on-premises instead of some local schitthole destacamento run by the local morons.

If you encounter a dangerous idiot bent on doing you harm, drive off and get to the Casa de Conductores. If the other party is as nuts as the one who confronted your friends, first drive over them and then go to report TWO accidents.

Peanuts for personal security and assistance if it's needed.

Last edited:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
What did he smash the windscreen with? Not an easy thing to do unless he had a bat or a shovel, the shank of a gun wouldn't do it.

I've seen guns pulled a couple of times in traffic, once outside a school from a parent at hometime, idiot. Seems to just be a stand off willy waving, not many people would open up on someone for a traffic trouble. Remember guns are mainly only jewelery in the capital for your average employed guy, not a weapon to actually use.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
before i put in any of my questions, opinion, or concerns. i will tell the story

A friend going home with her brothers in Santo Domingo after spending the weekend with their parents in Ocoa. The brothers are 18, she is 24, and has her 5 year old daughter with her. One of the brothers is driving. They get into a traffic accident/dispute with a motto-conche driver and pull to the side of the road The driver gets out pulls a gun on them and smashed their front window then rides off......Clearly they were just shocked, scared, and just happy that nothing else happened.

I am wondering what were their options?

1st I'm glad the boys were young and didn't have their own gun or else there would have probably been a shootout.

In the U.S. i have seen this happen. the victims would take the plates down call the police. The police would eventually find the car and punish the owner/driver. Is that a viable option in D.R.?
Are their laws regarding road rage?
is the legal and motor vehicle/transit system competent enough to handle this type of investigation?

I visit often and i am a aggressive driver and adapt to the Santo Domingo way of driving quickly. This isn't the 1st time i have heard of road rage and gun play related to it in D.R. i am just wondering what my true options are since neither violence or gun play are things i am interested in.

how do i call when i get into a traffic accident and dispute?
the embassy?
the police? which branch/division?
is there a equivalent to 911 to call?
If i am on one of those carreteras outside of the capital who do i call?

Run! Run! Run! Never stop! If your life is of value to you. You are not in the States here. You are on your own. There is no 911. There is no AAA. There is no nothing. Just beach and girls. Stick to these two pleasures and leave the rest to young risk takers-gamblers.

If possible, try to drive in daytime only. After dark - a big trouble is a matter of time only. Sorry to say this but it is true.
Do not listen to smooth operators. Run! Be alert! On guard. Always. Please! We want to see you here on DR.1 for many years to come. :classic:

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Run! Run! Run! Never stop! If your life is of value to you. You are not in the States here. You are on your own. There is no 911. There is no AAA. There is no nothing. Just beach and girls. Stick to these two pleasures and leave the rest to young risk takers-gamblers.

If possible, try to drive in daytime only. After dark - a big trouble is a matter of time only. Sorry to say this but it is true.
Do not listen to smooth operators. Run! Be alert! On guard. Always. Please! We want to see you here on DR.1 for many years to come. :classic:

Is it just me or has the paranoia levels of DR1 members gone a little radical lately. You are not in the US but you are also not in the Wild West with gunslingers and high noon shoot outs, chill out a bit for gods sakes, you'll have people living on edge all the time.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
Is it just me or has the paranoia levels of DR1 members gone a little radical lately. You are not in the US but you are also not in the Wild West with gunslingers and high noon shoot outs, chill out a bit for gods sakes, you'll have people living on edge all the time.

his advice is pretty similar to cris colon's and both are pretty accurate (although cris has thought things through pretty well).

you need to be careful in the DR and i think this shouldn't be underestimated (i've lived there 9 years and stayed out of trouble most of the time).

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009

Truly sad that some people from prosperious and safe countries of law and order are not trained to listen and prefer to learn by their own hard suffered experience.

OK...

At least, do not blame us then for not warning!

God bless you!

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
"Wild West"??? This place is worse than the wild west!! Unless you have the local sherrif in your pocket..YOU ARE SCREWED!!!!
If you are not living on the edge while driving in this country of locos YOU ARE SCREWED!!!
Wake up man!!! 99 % don,t know how to drive, other than stepping hard on the gas pedal. They are so f,n stupid, they don,t know what blinkers or left lanes are for!!!
What are you talking about??? Not the wild west??? Stupid advice pal.

Reactions: waytogo
Mar 1, 2009
If driving late at night beware speed racers, and people who take red lights after 1:00am. Lotta daredevils out there. Be vigilant, be aware and if it ain't a cop don't stop. Then again, we hauled butt at certain checkpoints too.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Who take red lights after 1:00 A.M.??? Since when does the time of day or night have anything to do with it?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Truly sad that some people from prosperious and safe countries of law and order are not trained to listen and prefer to learn by their own hard suffered experience.

OK...

At least, do not blame us then for not warning!

God bless you!

Jesus, save the preaching, I'm not sure whether to take you seriously or not. I've been living in DR for years and never heard so much drama from someone. You are doing something wrong if you live your life here in that state of mind. And thanks but I don't need the advice, my life is obviously very drama free in comparison, and I kinda prefer it like that.

And who is 'us'?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
"Wild West"??? This place is worse than the wild west!! Unless you have the local sherrif in your pocket..YOU ARE SCREWED!!!!
If you are not living on the edge while driving in this country of locos YOU ARE SCREWED!!!
Wake up man!!! 99 % don,t know how to drive, other than stepping hard on the gas pedal. They are so f,n stupid, they don,t know what blinkers or left lanes are for!!!
What are you talking about??? Not the wild west??? Stupid advice pal.

I've been driving here for 7 years and am quite relaxed on the road. I don't need you to tell me how they drive here, I've lived in the North and now the capital, I'm quite well adjusted.
You guys are living a different life to me, if I was a paranoid as you guys I'd pretty much be certainly living elsewhere.
Drive cautiously but Jesus Christ, don't turn it into a drama it isn't. Most European cities are more dangerous than here.
Anyway, my opinion, my experience, I'm sure I wouldn't swap it for whatever you guys are up to with that kind of thoughts, lol.

Happy driving!

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
thanks for the advice...

i mainly drive rentals when i am in D.R. so for the majority time i wouldnt stop because i get the full insurance.

the "Casa de Conductores" sounds very interesting. If i ever end up with my own vehicle down there i will look into it.

The case with my friend is different. it was straight up assault by some tweaker on a motto conche. The only reason they stopped is because it was a 1 lane street and the motto blocked them. I am just glad they are O. The tweaker probably saw it was a bunch of kids and wanted to scare them.

I was just curious to see if the police is a option? what laws are available to protect drivers?

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I am with Anastacio on most Points.

A Nuthead trying to block My one Lane Road with His Moto would be a Run Over, too many carry Guns and there is always the Risk that such Nuthead also is under the influence of some Drugs or at least Mucho Romo.

I do myself not like Cities anywhere on the Globe and would not try to venture the Capital by night, but I guess such Rage is not uncommon in so many Large Cities around the planet, sorrily.

where are the Good Times when a lil nighttime incident ended in a discussion with the final agreement that No Police is needed by both or as a max a ending with a bleeding Nose or two?

yes, my good ole Times been Country,
I hate the Cities.

good Luck
Mike

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
btw,
above been mentioned the Insurance inclusion "Casa de Conductor",
yes, that's a absolute MUST HAVE.
due my best Buddy down here we had some weeks ago heavy 'experience 'with dealing with such thingies.
Rental cars with their Full Insurance have such usually included, But Be AWARE of the Limits, it is printed on the Insurance Card present in the Rental car.
I know now that the Top Full Insurance Policies of AVIS only cover Bails up to 300.000.- Pesos, and by lately experience with My Buddy now I know that 300.000.- can be much too low even without anybody Dead or badly in the Hospital due the Accident.
my own Car is a 98 Honda Accord, sure no full Insurance for the Ole Baby, But my included "Casa de Conductor" policy also includes Bail up to 1.000.000 Pesos, and that for simple 7500 pesos per Year.
it can make a huge difference unless you carry always some usual few hundred thousand Pesos cash in the pocket around to cover for the Fiscal's requested Sum over the Insurance's Bail Limit.

Mike