Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How to handle road rage in D.R.

before i put in any of my questions, opinion, or concerns. i will tell the story

A friend going home with her brothers in Santo Domingo after spending the weekend with their parents in Ocoa. The brothers are 18, she is 24, and has her 5 year old daughter with her. One of the brothers is driving. They get into a traffic accident/dispute with a motto-conche driver and pull to the side of the road The driver gets out pulls a gun on them and smashed their front window then rides off......Clearly they were just shocked, scared, and just happy that nothing else happened.

I am wondering what were their options?

1st I'm glad the boys were young and didn't have their own gun or else there would have probably been a shootout.

In the U.S. i have seen this happen. the victims would take the plates down call the police. The police would eventually find the car and punish the owner/driver. Is that a viable option in D.R.?
    Are their laws regarding road rage?
    is the legal and motor vehicle/transit system competent enough to handle this type of investigation?

I visit often and i am a aggressive driver and adapt to the Santo Domingo way of driving quickly. This isn't the 1st time i have heard of road rage and gun play related to it in D.R. i am just wondering what my true options are since neither violence or gun play are things i am interested in.

how do i call when i get into a traffic accident and dispute?
    the embassy?
    the police? which branch/division?
    is there a equivalent to 911 to call?
    If i am on one of those carreteras outside of the capital who do i call?

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Next time don't stop unless you have to. Nothing good can come of stopping.

3. Likes Papa Benito liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

anyone ever try to talk sense to an intoxicated person...
    you will get nowhere until they straighten up

same with road rage
    the person upset WILL NOT listen to reason and is EXTREMELY unpredictable

5. Likes Papa Benito liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default If Your Vehicle Can Run, RUN!

After 20 years driving here I have had a "FEW" accidents! I have alway "Left The Scene". If I see a policeman,I stop,give him 500 pesos,and tell him that there is "Un Loco" chasing me!!! When the "other" guy pulls up,if his car is still moving, The policeman pulls him over and starts yelling at him,and I leave!
    Oh,my next-door-neighbor is a General in the "Policia National"
    cccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccc

7. Likes Papa Benito liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Since you probably have more to loose than the other party involved, I suggest that you drive away and live to fight another day.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are living and driving in the DR, then you need to pay for the Casa de Conductores coverage. Then should something happen, you just drive directly there and tell them your story. Tell the other party, or the cop who shows up that you are going to the Casa de Conductores in Santo Domingo, from wherever in the DR the accident occurred. Then go.

There are cops, a judge, insurance company reps, etc. there. They will file your report. They will deal with the other party's insurance and keep you out of it. If you had the misfortune to injure or kill someone else with your vehicle, you will stay overnight in their motel on-premises instead of some local schitthole destacamento run by the local morons.

If you encounter a dangerous idiot bent on doing you harm, drive off and get to the Casa de Conductores. If the other party is as nuts as the one who confronted your friends, first drive over them and then go to report TWO accidents.

Peanuts for personal security and assistance if it's needed.
    Last edited by el forastero; 10-11-2010 at 07:17 PM.

10. Likes CaptnGlenn, Papa Benito, greydread liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

What did he smash the windscreen with? Not an easy thing to do unless he had a bat or a shovel, the shank of a gun wouldn't do it.

I've seen guns pulled a couple of times in traffic, once outside a school from a parent at hometime, idiot. Seems to just be a stand off willy waving, not many people would open up on someone for a traffic trouble. Remember guns are mainly only jewelery in the capital for your average employed guy, not a weapon to actually use.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BigLongBeach View Post
    before i put in any of my questions, opinion, or concerns. i will tell the story

A friend going home with her brothers in Santo Domingo after spending the weekend with their parents in Ocoa. The brothers are 18, she is 24, and has her 5 year old daughter with her. One of the brothers is driving. They get into a traffic accident/dispute with a motto-conche driver and pull to the side of the road The driver gets out pulls a gun on them and smashed their front window then rides off......Clearly they were just shocked, scared, and just happy that nothing else happened.

I am wondering what were their options?

1st I'm glad the boys were young and didn't have their own gun or else there would have probably been a shootout.

In the U.S. i have seen this happen. the victims would take the plates down call the police. The police would eventually find the car and punish the owner/driver. Is that a viable option in D.R.?
    Are their laws regarding road rage?
    is the legal and motor vehicle/transit system competent enough to handle this type of investigation?

I visit often and i am a aggressive driver and adapt to the Santo Domingo way of driving quickly. This isn't the 1st time i have heard of road rage and gun play related to it in D.R. i am just wondering what my true options are since neither violence or gun play are things i am interested in.

how do i call when i get into a traffic accident and dispute?
    the embassy?
    the police? which branch/division?
    is there a equivalent to 911 to call?
    If i am on one of those carreteras outside of the capital who do i call?

Run! Run! Run! Never stop! If your life is of value to you. You are not in the States here. You are on your own. There is no 911. There is no AAA. There is no nothing. Just beach and girls. Stick to these two pleasures and leave the rest to young risk takers-gamblers.

If possible, try to drive in daytime only. After dark - a big trouble is a matter of time only. Sorry to say this but it is true.
    Do not listen to smooth operators. Run! Be alert! On guard. Always. Please! We want to see you here on DR.1 for many years to come.

13. Likes Papa Benito, snowbird44 liked this post
    Dislikes RacerX disliked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Afgan View Post
    Run! Run! Run! Never stop! If your life is of value to you. You are not in the States here. You are on your own. There is no 911. There is no AAA. There is no nothing. Just beach and girls. Stick to these two pleasures and leave the rest to young risk takers-gamblers.

If possible, try to drive in daytime only. After dark - a big trouble is a matter of time only. Sorry to say this but it is true.
    Do not listen to smooth operators. Run! Be alert! On guard. Always. Please! We want to see you here on DR.1 for many years to come.
    Is it just me or has the paranoia levels of DR1 members gone a little radical lately. You are not in the US but you are also not in the Wild West with gunslingers and high noon shoot outs, chill out a bit for gods sakes, you'll have people living on edge all the time.

15. Likes RacerX, Damyan liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacio View Post
    Is it just me or has the paranoia levels of DR1 members gone a little radical lately. You are not in the US but you are also not in the Wild West with gunslingers and high noon shoot outs, chill out a bit for gods sakes, you'll have people living on edge all the time.
    his advice is pretty similar to cris colon's and both are pretty accurate (although cris has thought things through pretty well).

you need to be careful in the DR and i think this shouldn't be underestimated (i've lived there 9 years and stayed out of trouble most of the time).

17. Likes Papa Benito liked this post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast