WD TV - Watching downloaded movies

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I bought one of these yesterday....

wv9udg.gif
I love it already! !!!!!

The unit is VERY small in size.

I bought the "WD TV" with HD output, not the "WD TV Live" which is expensive and connects to the Internet.

The following ebay link is solely to show the unit, not an endorsement of the site.....

WD TV

You can use it on Standard definition TV's that have the Composite A/V (Red, White, Yellow RCA plugs) and it also has FULL 1080P HD Support - HDMI 1.3.

I only have a standard definition TV here, and the picture quality was great.....

With this unit, you can download a movie and put it on a USB Flash drive or portable hard drive to watch it on your TV. No need to burn a DVD. This week Staples has a WD 750 GB portable hard drive on sale for only 60 bucks. That will hold a lot of movies. I'm heading out the door this morning to go buy one.

It will be great to take with you when visiting, as you won't need a DVD player to watch the movies.

D in Tampa/Santiago

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I have it here in Vegas and it is best thing I have bought so far. I attached my 2TB hard drive in to it with more than 500 movies (100 HD Blue Ray) and and it is amazing!!! It reads every kind of movie formats, along with any kind of subtitle format, and you can even watch Netflix and Hulu with it.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Also there are a lot of DVD players that have a USB port so you don't have to burn a DVD to watch a movie, same as the device you are talking about. Of course you will need to download the movie on your computer first.

But this thing sounds great.

Jan 17, 2009
I have it here in Vegas and it is best thing I have bought so far. I attached my 2TB hard drive in to it with more than 500 movies (100 HD Blue Ray) and and it is amazing!!! It reads every kind of movie formats, along with any kind of subtitle format, and you can even watch Netflix and Hulu with it.

But you couldn't watch Hulu and Netflix if you're in the DR with this gadget, correct? AFAIK they're both locked for international viewing.

I actually managed to watch Hulu again last week using HotSpot yield. It wasn't working for a while but strangely enough is working at the moment.

Jan 17, 2009
Also there are a lot of DVD players that have a USB port so you don't have to burn a DVD to watch a movie, same as the device you are talking about. Of course you will need to download the movie on your computer first.

But this thing sounds great.

The OP says you need to put your movie in a USB drive, so you're correct, with the many DVD players with USB connectors these days that sell for less than $40, it doesn't make send to spend in one of these WD boxes. In my last trip to the US, I found a Sony DVD player with USB for just $40.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
The OP says you need to put your movie in a USB drive

... and/or portable hard drive

..... so you're correct, with the many DVD players with USB connectors these days that sell for less than $40, it doesn't make send to spend in one of these WD boxes. In my last trip to the US, I found a Sony DVD player with USB for just $40.

For some of us, it does make sense.

153y59j.gif

Like visiting friends that do not have a DVD and you have some great movies to show them.

Staying at a Hotel/Resort and bringing your own movies on a USB drive
and the "Very Small" unit.

Hopefully the TV in the room has Composite A/V (Red, White, Yellow RCA inputs)
for viewing your "Special" videos.

D in Tampa/Santiago

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
You guys are not understanding anything about this product. This is a little box which connects to the TV either via HDMI or RCA cables. It also has 2 USB interfaces in which you can connect your 32GB USB Pen Drive or a high capacity USB External Hard Drive like mine which takes 2 Tera Bytes. Instead of putting a DVD in and out for every movie (not to mention the hastle of burning a new DVD every time you download a movie)in a DVD player, you have a list of 200 or 300 movies stored in your Hard Drive ready to be seen in the WD TV.

Does it make sense now?

Reactions: Africaida

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
You guys are not understanding anything about this product. This is a little box which connects to the TV either via HDMI or RCA cables. It also has 2 USB interfaces in which you can connect your 32GB USB Pen Drive or a high capacity USB External Hard Drive like mine which takes 2 Tera Bytes. Instead of putting a DVD in and out for every movie (not to mention the hastle of burning a new DVD every time you download a movie)in a DVD player, you have a list of 200 or 300 movies stored in your Hard Drive ready to be seen in the WD TV.

Does it make sense now?

What is the difference between putting the Pen Drive in a DVD that connects to the TV and this device? I do not understand, could you tell me what is different.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
What is the difference between putting the Pen Drive in a DVD that connects to the TV and this device? I do not understand, could you tell me what is different.

Does the DVD play every kind of video format, along with subtitles??? Does the DVD have an HDMI port out so you can be able to watch the movies in HD?? For that you will need a Blue Ray Player which will cost you a lot (200+). You will have a lot of issues with the .MKV format file and others.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Biggest pluses for me are it's size and portability, plus it has RCA output and up to 1080p HDMI output. If you are staying with friends and your bedroom has a TV, you can watch movies without having to be in the living room and using all the high tech electronics of your host.

D in Santiago/Tampa

Jan 17, 2009
You got a point. Playing .mkv files is impossible from a DVD with USB or a TV like mine with USB port. You got to convert the file which can take 8+ hours. Now, I'm convinced it is worth buying this gadget.

Feb 7, 2007
What site in the DR can u download free movies.

replace the at-sign

@dictosmovie .net - one of the best, easiest, organized sites. m0vies both in english and spanish, various download locations, interchangeable links
###have been using for over a year, very solid###

c@chestudio .net - looks very very g0000d, one of my recent finds.click on the search, select movies, tv series, etc.

downlo@d .f60 .com - search or browse the categories

Feb 7, 2007
But you couldn't watch Hulu and Netflix if you're in the DR with this gadget, correct? AFAIK they're both locked for international viewing.

I actually managed to watch Hulu again last week using HotSpot yield. It wasn't working for a while but strangely enough is working at the moment.

really? I use hotspotshield but could nto get it working. if you get it working can you go to What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more... and tell me whats your IP? HSS assigns various IP blocks and would love to know which ones work,

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I use newsgroups to download my movies. I pay 25bucks for 180 GB downloaded at astraweb and then I search around for my .NZB files. I only download HD content nowadays.

Jan 17, 2009
really? I use hotspotshield but could nto get it working. if you get it working can you go to What Is My IP Address? Lookup IP, Hide IP, Change IP, Trace IP and more... and tell me whats your IP? HSS assigns various IP blocks and would love to know which ones work,

Watching Hulu now, using hot spot, IP 209.107.204.40 (in New Jersey). I tried it again by chance about month and half ago, but do remember when hot spot's IP got blocked a couple of years ago. BTW, I'm using it in a Mac.