Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    16
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default US Consulate Experience

    I just returned from my appointment at the US Consulate to replace my lost Passport. It was one of the most degrading and horrific experiences that I have encountered in my many years of traveling. I was treated with no respect and as another US Citizen stated as we waited in lines over 2 hours...they have "treated us like animals". The most shameful issue was that NO ONE spoke English, so unless you spoke Spanish, you had NO idea, where to go, what line to go in etc. Fortunately, I was helped by a Spanish speaking US Citizen who was there for a renewal. (All signs were also ONLY in Spanish NO ENGLISH)

    All announcements were made only in Spanish and sometimes there were two announcements at the same time, so even if you were Spanish speaking, you could not hear either message!!

    (The only English speaking person was the LAST person who actually processed the Passport)

    This experience took over 4 hours!!

    I would suggest that a Consulate Official actually "go through this experience" in order to rectify what is a shameful situation for the US.


    Please be aware that if you do not speak Spanish, please take an interpreter with you.

    In the US everything is in Spanish and English, but our own US Consulate does not offer English speaking services in the DR. Shameful!!!

  2. #2
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    While the experience of going to the US Consulate is never what might be called "enjoyable", and often kind of frustrating, there are reasons behind all of the hassle: 9/11.

    The world is not the same. 40 years ago I could walk into the Consulate and share a sandwich with one of the consuls. 30 years ago I could send a fútbol team from our university with a letter and they would all get visas to play in Puerto Rico.

    All that is different.

    However, when I go there, I speak only English. In fact I insist upon it. Those kids all know English, it is one of their job requirements.

    Understand, they face hour after hour of liars, cheats and fakes who are trying to get visas. They also face unruly people who have no idea of what a "line" is all about. It is not an easy task...

    HB

  3. #3
    Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    All due respect to HB, but you cannot forever holler 911 whenever it is convenient to degrade and treat US citizens like cattle. The US Consulate has been rude before 911, and now they are both rude and obnoxious.

    I avoid this place like the plague.

  4. #4
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Let's be clear on this. I believe the original poster was referring to the US consulate in SD. The US consular agent in POP is professional, friendly, and efficient. He and his assistant are always ready to assist, and they do so in both Spanish and English.

    I have never heard any complaints about the consular service on the North Coast.

  5. #5
    Gold
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    9,881
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by catcherintherye View Post
    Let's be clear on this. I believe the original poster was referring to the US consulate in SD. The US consular agent in POP is professional, friendly, and efficient. He and his assistant are always ready to assist, and they do so in both Spanish and English.

    I have never heard any complaints about the consular service on the North Coast.
    None, because Ted is a class act. Not the same in SD though.

  6. #6
    Silver
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    2,826
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    I agree 100%, SKY, although I've never used the consular services in SD, I have heard many horror stories about that place, and although I can understand the reasons for those behaviors, nothing excuses US citizens being insulted by their own consulate.

    Perhaps this is another good reason for expats to choose Sosua as the place to be.

  7. #7
    Platinum
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    12,271
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly View Post
    While the experience of going to the US Consulate is never what might be called "enjoyable", and often kind of frustrating, there are reasons behind all of the hassle: 9/11.

    The world is not the same. 40 years ago I could walk into the Consulate and share a sandwich with one of the consuls. 30 years ago I could send a fútbol team from our university with a letter and they would all get visas to play in Puerto Rico.

    All that is different.

    However, when I go there, I speak only English. In fact I insist upon it. Those kids all know English, it is one of their job requirements.

    Understand, they face hour after hour of liars, cheats and fakes who are trying to get visas. They also face unruly people who have no idea of what a "line" is all about. It is not an easy task...

    HB
    I don't think there is any excuse that would be acceptable to an American citizen who is simply trying to renew the passport.

    Rudeness is never right, but it is possible to understand why patience wears thin and tempers get short when the clients being serviced are trying to get a visa to the US. But when a US citizen goes there for help with a problem, renew a passport, or whatever, they have every right to be treate with courtesy and dispatch.

    I am going to attempt to send this thread to the Department of State in the US.

  8. #8
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Posts
    18,121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Never having experienced this sort of situation, I am at a loss, really.

    I never said it was a treat to go there, but with the numbers they deal with on a daily basis, I can't say there are no reasons for such behavior.

    HB

  9. #9
    Silver
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,656
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SKY View Post
    All due respect to HB, but you cannot forever holler 911 whenever it is convenient to degrade and treat US citizens like cattle. The US Consulate has been rude before 911, and now they are both rude and obnoxious.

    I avoid this place like the plague.
    Second this. i would rather have a tooth pulled without Novocaine. In the 15 or so years here, I have been in there once 13 years ago!!!

    Again this is in SD.

  10. #10
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    34,568
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    i agree with everyone who asserts that the consulate in SD is staffed by a bunch of troglodytes who should be out shining shoes, and working in a car wash. they have the manners of goats, are obnoxious beyond the imagination, and it mystifies that the US state department could permit such oafs to participate in the transaction of its affairs.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •