Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Used computers less than US200 pay taxes?

I'm out of the country and was thinking of buying a used computer based on my financial situation. Does anybody know for a fact that a used computer with a value of less than US200 and a receipt for same will have to pay taxes? I understand for new computers there is no exemption for computers less than US200.

Thanks

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

bring it in a suitcase and chances are they will not touch it. If you bring anything in a cardboard carton then they will open it up and check it. I would bring 10 dollars in my hand and hand it over to the agent in case if he wants to open up your luggage.
    AZB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZB View Post
    bring it in a suitcase and chances are they will not touch it. If you bring anything in a cardboard carton then they will open it up and check it. I would bring 10 dollars in my hand and hand it over to the agent in case if he wants to open up your luggage.
    AZB
    Thanks but it won't fit in my luggage as I bought a 20" monitor.

Moderator - Clown Central
    Post Thanks / Like

Did they change the rules?

I thought all personal computers were tax exempt?

D in Tampa

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Just tell the custom agent:
    oye comendante... pero esperame viejo, esa computadora es para mi jeva... pero ven aca, no joda con esa vaina de impuestos....
    I am sure after this, he will be convinced you are a domninican york from cotui and he will let you go.
    AZB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't plan on bringing it back with me on the plane because it won't fit in my carry on and I'm worried about it being damaged en route.

Therefore, my question is about Aduanas with regard to shipping, thanks.

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Chip. I usually buy computer parts (special offers) in usa and assemble them in DR. I made a desktop with a motherboard/processor combo, picked up a used ram and had a used hard drive and a case laying around. My desktop works like a pro and has windows xp on it. You can pick up a used lcd screen on craigslist for next to nothing.
    AZB

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AZB View Post
    Chip. I usually buy computer parts (special offers) in usa and assemble them in DR. I made a desktop with a motherboard/processor combo, picked up a used ram and had a used hard drive and a case laying around. My desktop works like a pro and has windows xp on it. You can pick up a used lcd screen on craigslist for next to nothing.
    AZB
    I thought about that too. What about the computer case though? Can they be had cheap in the DR and if so where?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    I don't plan on bringing it back with me on the plane because it won't fit in my carry on and I'm worried about it being damaged en route.

Therefore, my question is about Aduanas with regard to shipping, thanks.
    I brought back my full size HP Desktop in a homemade carry on bag.

I purchased a white cloth (canvas) laundry bag from the store and put my desktop inside it, carried it like a regular carry-on bag. I did not bring back a monitor.

I have the bag here in Tampa, as I am thinking about bringing back another desktop.

Don

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chip View Post
    I thought about that too. What about the computer case though? Can they be had cheap in the DR and if so where?
    I have an old Compaq computer with a bad mother board, which I have no use for at all. I will take out the small GB hard drive before disposing of it.

D in Tampa, aka, D in Santiago

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast