Used computers less than US200 pay taxes?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I'm out of the country and was thinking of buying a used computer based on my financial situation. Does anybody know for a fact that a used computer with a value of less than US200 and a receipt for same will have to pay taxes? I understand for new computers there is no exemption for computers less than US200.

Thanks

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
bring it in a suitcase and chances are they will not touch it. If you bring anything in a cardboard carton then they will open it up and check it. I would bring 10 dollars in my hand and hand it over to the agent in case if he wants to open up your luggage.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
bring it in a suitcase and chances are they will not touch it. If you bring anything in a cardboard carton then they will open it up and check it. I would bring 10 dollars in my hand and hand it over to the agent in case if he wants to open up your luggage.
AZB

Thanks but it won't fit in my luggage as I bought a 20" monitor.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
2a5kb5w.gif

Did they change the rules?

I thought all personal computers were tax exempt?

D in Tampa

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Just tell the custom agent:
oye comendante... pero esperame viejo, esa computadora es para mi jeva... pero ven aca, no joda con esa vaina de impuestos....
I am sure after this, he will be convinced you are a domninican york from cotui and he will let you go.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I don't plan on bringing it back with me on the plane because it won't fit in my carry on and I'm worried about it being damaged en route.

Therefore, my question is about Aduanas with regard to shipping, thanks.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Chip. I usually buy computer parts (special offers) in usa and assemble them in DR. I made a desktop with a motherboard/processor combo, picked up a used ram and had a used hard drive and a case laying around. My desktop works like a pro and has windows xp on it. You can pick up a used lcd screen on craigslist for next to nothing.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip. I usually buy computer parts (special offers) in usa and assemble them in DR. I made a desktop with a motherboard/processor combo, picked up a used ram and had a used hard drive and a case laying around. My desktop works like a pro and has windows xp on it. You can pick up a used lcd screen on craigslist for next to nothing.
AZB

I thought about that too. What about the computer case though? Can they be had cheap in the DR and if so where?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I don't plan on bringing it back with me on the plane because it won't fit in my carry on and I'm worried about it being damaged en route.

Therefore, my question is about Aduanas with regard to shipping, thanks.
I brought back my full size HP Desktop in a homemade carry on bag.

I purchased a white cloth (canvas) laundry bag from the store and put my desktop inside it, carried it like a regular carry-on bag. I did not bring back a monitor.

I have the bag here in Tampa, as I am thinking about bringing back another desktop.

Don

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I thought about that too. What about the computer case though? Can they be had cheap in the DR and if so where?

I have an old Compaq computer with a bad mother board, which I have no use for at all. I will take out the small GB hard drive before disposing of it.

D in Tampa, aka, D in Santiago

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have an old Compaq computer with a bad mother board, which I have no use for at all. I will take out the small GB hard drive before disposing of it.

D in Tampa, aka, D in Santiago

all you need is a compatible power supply for the requirements for the system and the case will work.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Chip, if you want, i can build a nice pc for you and also recommend good economical motherboard with processor from internet. let me see if i can find a used hard drive for you and other stuff. i am sure people here have lots of spare drives etc that they can't use. The parts will be cheap and my labor will be 600 dollars cash. Do we have a deal? Hahahaha. don't worry, I will do it for free. let me know if you need help with building a pc.
AZB

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Chip, if you want, i can build a nice pc for you and also recommend good economical motherboard with processor from internet. let me see if i can find a used hard drive for you and other stuff. i am sure people here have lots of spare drives etc that they can't use. The parts will be cheap and my labor will be 600 dollars cash. Do we have a deal? Hahahaha. don't worry, I will do it for free. let me know if you need help with building a pc.
AZB

We'll talk when I get back, preferably over a couple of Brahmas compai'.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Just tell the custom agent:
oye comendante... pero esperame viejo, esa computadora es para mi jeva... pero ven aca, no joda con esa vaina de impuestos....
I am sure after this, he will be convinced you are a domninican york from cotui and he will let you go.
AZB

Yep...that usually works for me (Dominican York from Cotui):cheeky:

Reactions: Bronxboy

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
I have brought a couple of used desk computers in my suitcase at the same time, one whole and the other in parts, let them know if they ask, that is your personal computer and you couldn't afford another lab top....I brought down about 6 or 8 cell phones one time and a few were gifts and when I was questioned I told him I had important business numbers on the phones, with an attitude, like why are you messing with me, they are my phones and my business........

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
i would just buy a laptop, you won't have any issues bringing that over.. it may cost a little more but not much more and then you always have it with you when you travel (like i do now)

laptops also protect you against DR power outages since oyu have a power supply. i stopped using a desktop ~2002 on advice from a smart guy in santiago and never looked back

Last edited:

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I appreciate everyon'e advice but just to clarify I can only fit my monitor in my carryon and therefore was interested in the taxes Aduanas would charge for having the computer mailed to me. As far as a laptop goes, I already have one and use it as a backup and for travelling but really need a desktop because a large screen is easy for drafting.

My new plan is to get the computer case from Don and have the components shipped to me in Santiago. Thanks for the help.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
or

You can plug a large monitor into your laptop, you know... so you don't really need a desktop.

(I know, that's not the subject)

Thanks but even though I didn't mention it my laptop has issues and the DVD burner will not work so I can't archive my projects. My desktop is having issues too so I figure it's time for a new computer. I just bought a 20" monitor new for US100 here in Orlando and I'm going to have a person help me pick components(I3 Core processor, etc) and ship them to me in the DR to reassemble. I believe I will have a real rocking computer for drafting and engineering that should last me at least 5 or 6 years for US400 total.