I'm No Longer in Love...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
...with the new RD$20 note.

At first it was infatuation with a new, shiny tech-dongle maiden, so slick and new with a little window. It meant I'd not be weighed down with lightning-magnet coins.

I relished the time I spent with them, they felt so smoooooth and slick in my hand. I cayght meself glancing lustfully at their sexy font and tone...

But like many young loves, the "new" wore out and I began to see the flaws.

They won't really fold like the 50's, 100's, 500's, 1000's and 2000's. Well, they sorta "fold" but rebound quickly when you relationship pressure. And if you happen to get one REALLY bunched up...well, forget it. It'll never lay flat again. It's like permanent press money with the crease in the wrong place, psyche damage of the monetary kind.

When you put them with superior bills they just slide around with little friction in rather anti-social defiance. I'm used to the soft compliance of the old stuff: organize by denomination, fold in the middle and put in my pocket knowing the subtle friction keeps them organized in a predictible bunch of friends. But when I pull the hard-earned moneywad from my pocket the 20's are all askew, not sticking with their elders. A discombobulated mess, causing temporary angst while I attempt to sort them out while a clerk waits patiently for his due, me feigning "cool."

So now I make a tough choice: at each crossroad of change, do I forsake the new for the love of an older but predictivle metal paramour?

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

With the new use of Plastic Money

The government is slowing working towards that "moneyless" society as previously reported by "what's his name" (Pichardo)

nlrclv.gif

Evidently taking all the people's money by taxation is just taking tooooo long!

D in Tampa/Santiago

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I am like JDJ.... keep the big boys on the inside of the "wad"

Except in the DR....
the big boys go in the back pocket w/ the money clip ......... the coins, new 20's and 50's go in the front "small change" pocket with a couple of 100's to keep them company

They have a free-for-all in there..... no organization whatsoever -- rambunctious little children !!
Protected by the organized militia in the rear.

WW

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Looking beyond cobra's loquaciousness, he makes a very valid point.

The new 20 peso note has a texture that's horrific for the reasons he stated and more. I was thrilled when they decided to bring back the 20 peso note. Now, having had the displeasure of handling them, I despise them & for the first time in my life can say I'd rather carry a coin in my pocket than a bill.

What worries me more is that ALL the denominations will go this way in the near future. I won't carry more than one 20 peso note at a time as it is... I can only imagine the problems carrying ten, twenty, thirty, different denominations with the same texture.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Great CB!!!

Could not give more rep points now but you deserve a pile for this one!!

Now I use a wallet and find them quite lovely since I know them immediately from their scruffy elders and know that they available for tipping....

whereas with the elders

especially when I was up in Las Terrenas

I would regularly wash all the money that I had that had been on the street

a primative form of money laundering

left over from my days in Haiti

when you could not even see the demonination on the gourdes

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Good One

Very funny and true. I think the 20 is useless anyway....it should be 30 so you can pay the motocono his fee. What costs 20 pesos nowadays?Even caritos charge 30 don,t they???

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
new twenties have a major flaw: one cannot wipe one's arse with them. i had high hopes for twenties, you know. for sometimes one is in an emergency situation because as we know all public toilets in DR lack loo roll. and one might have use the last hankie already. so, you know, desperate times call for desperate measures, right? and one may open the wallet and look for a small nomination bill as for, so to speak, the lifeline. but this new twenty, i tell you, it sort of slips, right? so one may find oneself with a finger stuck in the area that one wanted to avoid in the first place. and then what is left? fifty? but fifty is just enough, like, for another fria!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
new twenties have a major flaw: one cannot wipe one's arse with them. i had high hopes for twenties, you know. for sometimes one is in an emergency situation because as we know all public toilets in DR lack loo roll. and one might have use the last hankie already. so, you know, desperate times call for desperate measures, right? and one may open the wallet and look for a small nomination bill as for, so to speak, the lifeline. but this new twenty, i tell you, it sort of slips, right? so one may find oneself with a finger stuck in the area that one wanted to avoid in the first place. and then what is left? fifty? but fifty is just enough, like, for another fria!

One needs to carry 2 things.... bumwad and a toilet seat...

WW

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
Very funny and true. I think the 20 is useless anyway....it should be 30 so you can pay the motocono his fee. What costs 20 pesos nowadays?Even caritos charge 30 don,t they???

I think the 20 pesos bill is very good for tips. I used to tip 50 pesos for any drink which I consider it was too much (In Santo Domingo is ok, but not in the interior). and tip with coins looks like an offense.
So, 20 pesos is fine to tips for beers. also for the guy watching you car.

Reactions: mountainannie

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010

HYSTERICAL best post today

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I don't know about anyone else, but I find it's easier to grab a used piece of tissue from the trash can, and recycle it.

Just gotta be careful where you grab..

I have just found it easier to have a few napkins in my pocket when I leave the house........:bunny::bunny:

B in Santiago

Reactions: Africaida

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I have just found it easier to have a few napkins in my pocket when I leave the house........:bunny::bunny:

B in Santiago
Planning is the bestestest policy...:glasses:

(Gotta spread the rep around)

Dorota: at least the 20's are recyclable...:cheeky:...not like single use TP...

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Planning is the bestestest policy...:glasses:

(Gotta spread the rep around)

Dorota: at least the 20's are recyclable...:cheeky:...not like single use TP...

Many moons ago when the world was much younger and I was working travelling the deep boonies of Southeast Asia I learned that part of freedom is the flexibility to live without toilet paper. All you need is a source of water.

There's a reason why some cultures traditionally eat with only the right hand.

:cross-eye