Using Health Insurance.

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
As I've heard, everyone with a job here gets health insurance, and as I foresee an endoscopy in my immediate future, I was wondering how do I go about using this insurance? BTW, I'm quitting my job at the end of the month, does the insurance have a grace period or something similar?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Everyone here who is a LEGAL employee needs to be registered with the government and this insurance covers emergency care and accidents. I do not know that it will cover your case at all. It has a cap of 500,000 RD. IF you are not legal and registered you have no coverage.

As per the grace period after you leave - no idea.

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
I'm both a Dominican and American citizen, I work legally here in Santiago, about 600 pesos get's taken a month by the government I suppose, towards health care. I applied for supplementary coverage for procedures and hospital stays, but I have no idea how to use this, I didn't even receive a card. So how do I go about using this?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
First you need to get your health card number. Go to the HR person and get the card or at the very least your card number. Then find out what coverage you actually have. The insurance people should be assisting you.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
one, go and get the insurance card from your employer.
two, call the incurance company (servicio al cliente), give them your numero de afiliado/contrato and check if this procedure has coverage.
three, your insurance is valid after you leave your job albeit for a short period of time. if i were you i would get an endoscopy first and then quit the job.

DipreSantana

Nov 29, 2009
Next question, I won't be working, I'll be going to school, where can I get health insurance for me and my family, and how much will it cost?

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
YOu can check with the various companies, they all have private plans. BUT note that pre existing conditions will not be covered for a period of time.