HTC HD2 (poor man's iphone)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Ok, technical gadget time:

I have been secretly studying the tricks and tweaks of the failed HTC phone called HTC HD2 (tmobile). Seem like people are too dissatisfied by the fact it runs on windows 6.5, freezes up and stops functioning etc. This pain has led the prices of this phone drop to as little as 170 dollars and for 200 bucks, you can get one (craigslist) almost brand new.
if you look at the specs, you would say "wow". A true power house with a huge 4.3" screen (biggest one in cells). The hardware will put many phones to shame but too bad HTC ****ed in the soup with windows 6.5 and not andriod froyo.
No need to worry, the hackers have cleaned up the mess with new custom roms for windows and there is a huge project in action to port andriod (froyo 2.2) on this windows based hardware. the andriod works 95% but runs off the micro Sd card. It will be just a matter of weeks before a fully functioning andriod OS would be installed on this equipment. Then it will be a perfect phone. I will be in atlanta next week but I have already send my brother in hunt for a nice condition HD2 phone with 16 gb sd card. I will put on a windows custom rom and make this phone work perfectly for my needs.
Look up the specs on this phone and see what it packs in a small package.
This phone plays movies and even flash animations, FM radio, huge 4.3" screen , 1gb ram, 1 ghz snapdragon processor, 3 mpix camera with led flash, makes video movies on full 30 frames / second, 16 gb SD card and etc. This phone will cover all the needs of a common person. In simple words, its a "pocket rocket". Will unlock it, jailbreak it and then put in claro sim card (note: DR related thread).
When I have my hands on this baby, I will write more.
AZB

Reactions: Adrian Bye

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Good deal. I have The HTC EVO and absolutely love it. The HD2 is a predecessor to the EVO. Same type of screen, etc...except The EVO has a nicer camera (8 megapixel) and a few other things, but overall similar. A quick search turned up this article showing you how to get Android on the HD2. HTC HD2 Gets Android 2.2 or Froyo Thanks to Hackers

Unfortunately the Evo is from Sprint so CDMA (no sim card slot), so I may be looking to get one of these HD2 phones as it would be nice to have a similar phone and be able to use it down in The DR when I visit. On the other hand I see all my nephews down there with I-phones and they tell me you can get one for around 5k pesos (not the latest though) already unlocked and ready to go, so that's another possibility.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Good deal. I have The HTC EVO and absolutely love it. The HD2 is a predecessor to the EVO. Same type of screen, etc...except The EVO has a nicer camera (8 megapixel) and a few other things, but overall similar. A quick search turned up this article showing you how to get Android on the HD2. HTC HD2 Gets Android 2.2 or Froyo Thanks to Hackers

Unfortunately the Evo is from Sprint so CDMA (no sim card slot), so I may be looking to get one of these HD2 phones as it would be nice to have a similar phone and be able to use it down in The DR when I visit. On the other hand I see all my nephews down there with I-phones and they tell me you can get one for around 5k pesos (not the latest though) already unlocked and ready to go, so that's another possibility.

Evo is great and has andriod on it but its CDMA. it won't work on claro or even orange. HD2 can run andriod but there are some glitches and I am a perfectionist when it comes to software. I will wait for the andriod to be functioning fully on hd2 before I make the switch. I know there are people saying they have fully working andriod installed on the hd2 but believe, they all have some small glitch here and there. I have read hundred of pages on this topic and have seen countless videos,.
AZB

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
CDMA is on its way out and besides, I have GSM with claro, they won't revert back my number to cdma. Once you go GSM with claro, there is no turning back and I am not about to change my number.
I bet you didn't know that. right extremeR? Well, we, the extranjeros, are here to help any dominican who wants to know a bit more about their own country. hahahah. just kidding.
AZB

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Here in America CDMA is stronger than ever, even the Iphone is making an CDMA version. Verizon and Sprint carry CDMA.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Here in America CDMA is stronger than ever, even the Iphone is making an CDMA version. Verizon and Sprint carry CDMA.

I know, I always had CDMA phones before but since I live in DR and have claro, I am stuck with GSM. In any case, I like GSM because I travel a lot and I simply get a local sim and put it in and I am ready to go. This is the advantage with gsm, a simple conversion and you have a local phone. I plan on unlocking my t mobile.
AZB

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I have the HTC Incredible in No America and am looking for something to work in the DR.

Claro has made Verizon a very expensive carrier to use/roam with in RD.

I need a solution....... is this thread a possibility for the technically challenged?

WW

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
HTC incredible is also cdma but the HTC desire is gsm. The new HTC desire HD is a super good phone with the huge screen and andriod OS. This phone will be out soon. This gsm phone can be used in USA and if you have t-mobile phone in usa, you can ask for the unlock code for free. Tell them you will be traveling to various country for work related reasons and would like to use the local sim card there. They will hand over the unlock code for free.
AZB

Jan 5, 2006
I've had the HTC HD2 for about 6 months now, and it has worked perfectly. The key is finding a better ROM to upgrade the basic operation of the phone. There are plenty of options floating around the web. IMO, it has all the features that anyone would ever need. One of my favorites, is the ability to use it as a wireless modem to access the internet from my laptop, when I'm not within a WI-FI hotspot.

I got the unlock instructions and key from T-Mobile and it worked perfectly with my Orange SIM card in DR.

BTW, the camera is 5MP, not 3.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I've had the HTC HD2 for about 6 months now, and it has worked perfectly. The key is finding a better ROM to upgrade the basic operation of the phone. There are plenty of options floating around the web. IMO, it has all the features that anyone would ever need. One of my favorites, is the ability to use it as a wireless modem to access the internet from my laptop, when I'm not within a WI-FI hotspot.

I got the unlock instructions and key from T-Mobile and it worked perfectly with my Orange SIM card in DR.

BTW, the camera is 5MP, not 3.

yeah, it was a typo. In andriod porting OS, the camera is only recognized as 3 meg pix not 5 and in some andriods the camera flash goes out prematurely or worse case, the camera doesn't even work at all.
AZB

Jan 5, 2006
I've seen all the Android stuff, but I'm happy with the way it works now. Once the bugs have been worked out, I would consider switching to either Android or WM7 OS.

Jan 5, 2006
This phone would be perfect for anyone in the DR, especially if you have a data plan with Orange or Claro.

T-Mobile put out an update (ROM 3.14) about 2 weeks ago and I just got around to trying it out. It takes care of all the issues that the phone had, and the phone now works the way it was meant to, with a stock ROM. The one bad thing that T-Mo did was remove the ability to tether the phone's internet signal, but that's easily resolved.

If you get this phone, just find a cracked version of WMWifiRouter and install it. Install a few other apps, like Pandora, and you'll have a phone that stands up to any phone in terms of versatility and performance.

If you want to play around further; which I'm getting ready to do; run Android from the SD card, and you can have a phone that runs on 2 different platforms. There are some very good versions of Android, including the stock EVO's, which have been ported onto this phone.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
The new kumar custom rom (3.0) is based on the new rom from htc. My phone works flawlessly (with very few minor defects) and if someone has a data plan, you can use google maps with the gps and you have a complete map of this country for free. I don't like the facebook app on the windows mobile but this is better than having no facebook app at all. Install coreplayer and now you can any video that you can throw at it without any conversion or transferring it to phone via itunes. The phone connects to the pc as though its an external harddrive and you just throw stuff inside. The FM radio works great and produces impressive sound. Its an amazing phone with a huge screen. I was able to unlock my hd2 for 25 dollars on ebay. My model was new and the unlock code was not available. 4 places refunded my money because they could not find my code. The 4th place charged 25 dollars and the code was generated and sent to me within an hour. Now my cell phone works as my private entertainment center which can be stored in my pocket.
Hipocrito, try the Kumar's new rom, its based on the new update.
AZB

P.S. it takes great photos and amazing video quality capture. The flash is good and you can use an app to use flash from camera as flash light if you are in dark.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
HTC incredible is also cdma but the HTC desire is gsm. The new HTC desire HD is a super good phone with the huge screen and andriod OS. This phone will be out soon. This gsm phone can be used in USA and if you have t-mobile phone in usa, you can ask for the unlock code for free. Tell them you will be traveling to various country for work related reasons and would like to use the local sim card there. They will hand over the unlock code for free.
AZB

Well, I bought the HTC Dash (formerly Excalibur)..... think that will work?
GSM, etc is all there.... $110 w/ chargers etc

WW

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Not sure if you can use it for the phone you have, but I jut flashed the new Cyanogen ROM on my EVO and it "screams", plus I can customize the heck out of it. The only draw backs are support for 4G and HDMI are not there yet, but I don't have 4G in my area anyway and don't use HDMI much. They are working on that anyway. ROM manager is awesome as I can just switch back and forth between ROMs at will.

Shiraz72

Bronze
Feb 10, 2010
I got a Samsung Impact SGH-T746 because I wanted a touch screen phone that had some of the features of an Iphone but without requiring a data plan to use it... it has MP3 capabilities and you can run apps on it etc... but I'm wishing I'd of waited another month to get the newest version that has the slide out keypad for when you don't want to use the touch screen for texting... it can be annoying in cold weather with our gloves on trying to use a touch screen text pad..LOL Guess you don't have that problem using it in DR :cheeky:

Jan 5, 2006
The Facebook app for WinMo has issues right now. MS has promised to put out an updated version shortly on WInMo Marketplace; for which you should have an icon on your start menu.

For music, try Pandora, which gives you personalized radio station based on the artist that you select. It's big with the Apple folks.