Bank credit card rate at 96%?????

Status
Not open for further replies.

suzannel

Jun 7, 2006
Did I read this right???? In the news section of DR1, an article states that certain Dominican Banks charge up to 96% annual interest on their credit cards. If this is correct it is a Loan Shark rate, how could the government not regulate the Banks?????

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Did I read this right???? In the news section of DR1, an article states that certain Dominican Banks charge up to 96% annual interest on their credit cards. If this is correct it is a Loan Shark rate, how could the government not regulate the Banks?????

They can't even regulate themselves.........
They are to busy scooping up their own percentages.......

B in Santiago

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I got charged RD$600 on a $6400 balance, so it sounds about right. Banco Popular. But I think its only if you dont pay the bill on time and I was on vacation and missed the payment.

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
credit cards SHOULD have high interest rates. 100% imo.

in every country.

then people wouldnt be in the predicament they are in now.

you might actually THINK before using it. or before getting one.

i never have, and never will own a credit card.

Mason3000

Aug 2, 2008
"If this is correct it is a Loan Shark rate, how could the government not regulate the Banks?????"

Not true. Loansharks are far more honorable. They charge a 1/2% weekly, 1% weekly if they're really gouging you. That's 25-50%, but fairer than Dominican banks.

Naptime, you actually believe people....DOMINICAN PEOPLE will use their CC's less with high interest rates? I don't. I think the poor & uneducated will just get shafted even more.

Naptime

Jul 23, 2008
www.vitos.com
"If this is correct it is a Loan Shark rate, how could the government not regulate the Banks?????"

Not true. Loansharks are far more honorable. They charge a 1/2% weekly, 1% weekly if they're really gouging you. That's 25-50%, but fairer than Dominican banks.

Naptime, you actually believe people....DOMINICAN PEOPLE will use their CC's less with high interest rates? I don't. I think the poor & uneducated will just get shafted even more.

good point.

i guess my real feeling is that we should not have credit cards at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.