An interesting read for those who think guns stop crime

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
In today's Op-Ed column in the New York Times, Nicholas Kristof reveals how education in Oman has changed the country. He also points out that education reduces crime, and there is where the Dominican point in all of this comes into play.

All of us have seen, heard or, God forbid, experienced criminal actions. The Dominican populations has many times taken its own brand of justice to the streets, and we certainly know what "an exchange of gunfire" means when dealing with the National Police.

Given the stark reality of the current situation, wouldn't it be nice if Leonel were to read this and suddenly say (remember he speaks barrio English): "Sh!t, this might jus' work in this friggin' place!"....

Read this (C) article from the NY Times: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/14/opinion/14kristof.html?hp

And then tell me if this is not at least a major part of the solution here???

HB

Reactions: MikeFisher

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Most will agree that education is very important, however Oman has some particular characteristics that have helped it turn around.

First, while it definitely helps to have a leader concerned about making changes, one can't make changes without lots of money and Oman is an exporter of oil, the DR is not. Two, Omanis practice a form of Islam which is not either Shiite or Sunni which no doubt has helped to keep them out of the constant state of fracas between the latter two.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
I'm sorry, but I read the article, and I don't see the connection with guns and how they affect the crime rate. Of course, the problem could be that given the title of the thread, I was expecting an actual discussion about guns and how they affect the crime rate. Go figure.:ermm:

Vince.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Hey Vince. The point being that it is probable the $100 million in Afghanistan will not resolve the issues with the Taliban but if education could be put into place maybe it would....etc etc

Here point is that criminal activity is on the rise and education on the decrease with lots of hot air but little to show.

I have a very good student. I asker her where she studied, and she said in the afternoon session of the Liceo in Moca. I said why? Most kids study in the morning.

She said that the director in the afternoon was much better than the one in the m orning and the teachers taught more...as a result this young lady is currently all A's and seems headed for success...YOu chould see her eyes sparkle as she talks about her classes....brings joy to a curmudgeon's heart...and her classmates agree she is good.

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Not sure it's either/or.

More like both: carrot and stick.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
HB

I agree that education is the key. The problem is the Taliban don't want to educate the majority of their population. Remember one has to "tie the strong man up" before you can do the next step.

corsair74

Bronze
Jul 3, 2006
Hey Vince. The point being that it is probable the $100 million in Afghanistan will not resolve the issues with the Taliban but if education could be put into place maybe it would....etc etc

Here point is that criminal activity is on the rise and education on the decrease with lots of hot air but little to show.

I have a very good student. I asker her where she studied, and she said in the afternoon session of the Liceo in Moca. I said why? Most kids study in the morning.

She said that the director in the afternoon was much better than the one in the m orning and the teachers taught more...as a result this young lady is currently all A's and seems headed for success...YOu chould see her eyes sparkle as she talks about her classes....brings joy to a curmudgeon's heart...and her classmates agree she is good.

HB

Gotcha.

Nothin like watching young minds expand.:glasses:

Vince.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Even though the article relates the rise of education to the decline of social and political unrest I agree wholeheartedly that education is not only the best way to stabilize a nation but also the communities within that nation. Destructive thought can only thrive in the absence of constructive thought. Hope and violence rarely cohabitate. I especially like the emphasis on entrepreneurship. The 30 years, gold watch and pension model is dead. Education which can focus individuals on creating jobs rather than getting jobs beats "trickle down" every time.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Aw..is,nt that sweet....

When you put 8,000,000,000 chickens and roosters in to one small henhouse(mother earth) the feathers are gonna fly!!! And , I dont care how much education you try to shove down thier throats...
Birth control is a must. Why is it that we have to write an exam to drive a car,but, any jerkoff can have a kid???

Reactions: Onions/Carrots

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
birthrates have declined worldwide in the last ten years. people have figured out that you can't have five kids and a big flat screen. mom and dad both have to work, to afford a crap apartment. next on the list is a car, fortuneatly for the world, in color TV countries, having babies has lost it's appeal. i know there are a few exceptions out there.

wrecksum

Bronze
Sep 27, 2010
When you put 8,000,000,000 chickens and roosters in to one small henhouse(mother earth) the feathers are gonna fly!!! And , I dont care how much education you try to shove down thier throats...
Birth control is a must. Why is it that we have to write an exam to drive a car,but, any jerkoff can have a kid???

You sound like a good advert for birth control yourself.!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Interesting

A bank in Chappell Hill Texas is taking the second amendment out of the vault by letting their customers carry guns inside.

At first glance, you might not notice anything unusual about the Washington County bank, but take a closer look.

"If you've got a handgun carry license I don't have any problem at all and I encourage you to bring it in the bank," Chappell Hill Bank President Edward Smith said.

Chappell Hill Bank is one of the oldest banks in Texas, and it's also one of the first banks to encourage the right to bear arms.

"I've been looking at what's been happening in this country; lawlessness, and we've been robbed several times, so I changed it to reinforce the second amendment," Smith said.

While Smith is a firm believer in the Second Amendment, Steve Moreland is too. He's been banking at Chappell Hill for nearly 20 years.

"I believe the second amendment is what protects our country. It protects the people in our country and I believe that licensed firearms are safe as long as you have educated people carrying them," bank customer Steve Moreland said.

Smith says Chappell Hill has been robbed five times since opening in 1907, two in the last 26 years, with the most recent in March.

"He came in here wearing a bandanna, just like out of the old west and he was successful," Smith said.

Smith says he hopes his new message will be too.

"The management recognizes the second amendment, and the other is, if you come in here wanting to rob them, you better watch out. You might get something more than money."

It's a new idea that's catching on as other banks in Texas hope to follow the lead of one of the oldest banks in the state.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If the developed countries: England, France, Germany, Holland do not begin to have babies among the ethnic English, French, German and Dutch, these countries will be muslim within 30 years.

According to most reports, France, Germany and England have fallen so far behind that it is no longer possible for them to recover their cultural heritage among Christian, ethnic, Englishmen and women. Holland and France will be Muslim nations with a generation, and it is doubtful that theywill even notice it. I will from wherever I am...

In the United States, the WASP population is disappearing and if it were not for the Hispanics, the US population would also disappear to the onslaught of Muslims...Already in some cities the Sharia is in place...Like Dearborn, MI...or so the Far Right is saying.

Birth control is not the answer. If perfect family planning were instituted by an act of magic (POOF!) within 25 years the population would double anyway, since the parents of that young person are already alive.

Scary huh??? 18 million Dominicans, 650,000,000 in the USA???? 2.1 billion hindi? 2.7 billion Chinese? 900 million Indonesians??

HB

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Scary huh??? 18 million Dominicans, 650,000,000 in the USA???? 2.1 billion hindi? 2.7 billion Chinese? 900 million Indonesians??

HB

Not to worry.

This herd always finds ways to thin itself. Self destruction seems to be written into our genetic code. Why else would the people having the greatest proportion of children also be those who are least able to afford them?

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It's always funny to hear people talking about birth control of humans as if they were chickens. Then again, we already know what millions do to their unborn children before they are born so they might as well just be chickens. Ah the love of man for his own kind.