Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need Help

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Need Help

I am in the states. My wifes niece is in hospital with Dengue. The little girl in thin as it is. She was okay this morning. Now I get word that she needs emergency blood. Please spare me scam stories. She is in public hospital in Santo Domingo. I need to know what to do. Where is best place in Santo Domingo for treating Dengue? Thanks

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

I would take her to almost any private clinic that has her blood type and a comfortable room. I understand the treatment is acetaminophen, liquids and rest. I hope the best for her.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I had Dengue last December, while I was in the DR I was taken to CEDIMAT hospital in Santo Domingo, as far as I know there is no treatment for it, all i was given was pain killers, and was given serum for hydration took about 12 days for me to get better, i hope the little girl pulls true, but she need to be in a hospital since yesterday if you get my drift.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    I am in the states. My wifes niece is in hospital with Dengue. The little girl in thin as it is. She was okay this morning. Now I get word that she needs emergency blood. Please spare me scam stories. She is in public hospital in Santo Domingo. I need to know what to do. Where is best place in Santo Domingo for treating Dengue? Thanks
    The Red Cross of the Dominican Republic (CRD) should be able to supply whatever blood she needs - in any facility.

Is she well enough to be moved to a private clinic?

AE

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

we also had several cases of Dengue this year around Friends and also in the Family, Hydration is the keypoint what people need, and of course to go to the clinic right away. it takes around a week for the person to come back to powers.
    Diagnosed Early Dengue is not a big Threat for Life.
    If Symptoms let People assume there may be Dengue present, never take any kind of Tratment which involves Antibiotics, that would be a Danger, always go straight to a Clinic and let them run the Bloodtest.
    2 weeks ago we feared my Wife has Dengue, luckily it wasn't, to await the Bloodtests Results too just 35 minutes to wait at Centro Medico Punta Cana.
    also Public Clinics are used to treat Dengue, it is nothing rare on the Isle, more common than the Flu.

good luck for the lil one
    Mike
    Mike

www.MikeFisherPuntaCana.com
    [email protected]
    Punta Cana/Cap Cana/Dominican Republic
    Mike Fisher Facebook Group on

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like she has dengue hemorragic fever .the trasfusion is for a lowered platelet count or significant blood loss.possibly gastrointestal bleeding indicated by melena (black tarry feces).treatment is only supportive.extreme cases can lead to dengue shock syndrome which has a high mortality rate.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Mike

Yes, she is in a public clinic. This morning fever had gone. Now she needs emergency blood. So I sent money to buy the blood. Should I have her transferred to a hospital such as CEDIMAT? Should I contact the Red Cross for more blood if necessary? Just trying to think what we can do. I don't see how me flying there would help, but perhaps being right there I could determine what is best needed.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

if the best her relatives can do is put her in a public clinic then you should go. unless you can find someone else who can take decisions for you and has a brain

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

DRDaddy, the blood is for a lowered platelet count. They are going to give her the blood. What else should be done?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Snuffy View Post
    DRDaddy, the blood is for a lowered platelet count. They are going to give her the blood. What else should be done?
    With all due respect, what you should not do is wait for advice from an unknown poster on a message board. Several highly experienced posters from DR1 have died due to poor medical treatment in the DR.

I'd get on the phone to someone like hillbilly or Robert ASAP, and get her transferred to the best hospital and under the care of the best doctor in Santo Domingo you can afford.

Yes, dengue is something you can just sit out.. But can you afford for an inexperienced DR doctor from a crappy university to make a life threatening mistake while they are learning on your niece?

Sorry for my tone, but i've seen this happen too many times. Tamborista, etc will be offended as usual, but this needs to be raised more often now on DR1.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast