Need Help

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I am in the states. My wifes niece is in hospital with Dengue. The little girl in thin as it is. She was okay this morning. Now I get word that she needs emergency blood. Please spare me scam stories. She is in public hospital in Santo Domingo. I need to know what to do. Where is best place in Santo Domingo for treating Dengue? Thanks

Reactions: mike l

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would take her to almost any private clinic that has her blood type and a comfortable room. I understand the treatment is acetaminophen, liquids and rest. I hope the best for her.

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
I had Dengue last December, while I was in the DR I was taken to CEDIMAT hospital in Santo Domingo, as far as I know there is no treatment for it, all i was given was pain killers, and was given serum for hydration took about 12 days for me to get better, i hope the little girl pulls true, but she need to be in a hospital since yesterday if you get my drift.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I am in the states. My wifes niece is in hospital with Dengue. The little girl in thin as it is. She was okay this morning. Now I get word that she needs emergency blood. Please spare me scam stories. She is in public hospital in Santo Domingo. I need to know what to do. Where is best place in Santo Domingo for treating Dengue? Thanks

The Red Cross of the Dominican Republic (CRD) should be able to supply whatever blood she needs - in any facility.

Is she well enough to be moved to a private clinic?

AE

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
we also had several cases of Dengue this year around Friends and also in the Family, Hydration is the keypoint what people need, and of course to go to the clinic right away. it takes around a week for the person to come back to powers.
Diagnosed Early Dengue is not a big Threat for Life.
If Symptoms let People assume there may be Dengue present, never take any kind of Tratment which involves Antibiotics, that would be a Danger, always go straight to a Clinic and let them run the Bloodtest.
2 weeks ago we feared my Wife has Dengue, luckily it wasn't, to await the Bloodtests Results too just 35 minutes to wait at Centro Medico Punta Cana.
also Public Clinics are used to treat Dengue, it is nothing rare on the Isle, more common than the Flu.

good luck for the lil one
Mike

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
Sounds like she has dengue hemorragic fever .the trasfusion is for a lowered platelet count or significant blood loss.possibly gastrointestal bleeding indicated by melena (black tarry feces).treatment is only supportive.extreme cases can lead to dengue shock syndrome which has a high mortality rate.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Mike

Yes, she is in a public clinic. This morning fever had gone. Now she needs emergency blood. So I sent money to buy the blood. Should I have her transferred to a hospital such as CEDIMAT? Should I contact the Red Cross for more blood if necessary? Just trying to think what we can do. I don't see how me flying there would help, but perhaps being right there I could determine what is best needed.

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
if the best her relatives can do is put her in a public clinic then you should go. unless you can find someone else who can take decisions for you and has a brain

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
DRDaddy, the blood is for a lowered platelet count. They are going to give her the blood. What else should be done?

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
DRDaddy, the blood is for a lowered platelet count. They are going to give her the blood. What else should be done?

With all due respect, what you should not do is wait for advice from an unknown poster on a message board. Several highly experienced posters from DR1 have died due to poor medical treatment in the DR.

I'd get on the phone to someone like hillbilly or Robert ASAP, and get her transferred to the best hospital and under the care of the best doctor in Santo Domingo you can afford.

Yes, dengue is something you can just sit out.. But can you afford for an inexperienced DR doctor from a crappy university to make a life threatening mistake while they are learning on your niece?

Sorry for my tone, but i've seen this happen too many times. Tamborista, etc will be offended as usual, but this needs to be raised more often now on DR1.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Can't find Red Cross Number...

Anyone have it for DR. I called around here in USA to try and get it. In the Red Cross phone system you get shuffled around and no one seems to know who you should talk to. The others seem to not care or they are half asleep. Amazing.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
I'm in contact with several friends in DR

and I have friends here who I value their input. They are not unknown to me. But thank you.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Anyone have it for DR. I called around here in USA to try and get it. In the Red Cross phone system you get shuffled around and no one seems to know who you should talk to. The others seem to not care or they are half asleep. Amazing.

Dominican Red Cross
Address Calle Juan Enrique Dunant No. 51
Ens. Miraflores
P.O. Box 1293
Santo Domingo
Postal Address Apartado Postal 1293
Santo Domingo, D.N.
Contact Information Tel: (001809) 334-4545/412-8207/238-5312
Fax: (001809) 238-5252
Telex: rca sdg 4112 PARA CRUZ ROJA DOM.
Telegram: CRUZ ROJA DOMINICANA, SANTO DOMINGO
E-Mail: cruzrojadom@codetel.net.do

AE

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Red Cross

Just got off phone with them in DR. They don't give blood. They want your blood but they don't give it. You have to buy it.

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
snuffy hydration is key,is she keeping fluids down?...no NSAIDS(non-steroidal anti-inflamatories )or aspirin.Give only acetaminophen or paracetemol.Is she having any other symptoms?Bleeding from other areas?Get the platelets as soon as possible. children need to be monitored more closely.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
she is vomiting

it isn't blood but she is not keeping anything in her stomach. She is on IV. She should be receiving the blood any time now. I am awaiting word that she has the blood.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
OK, you go to Cruz Roja to buy the blood. OK I got it. They just purchased the blood.

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
Im no doctor Just a veteran Navy Medic.With experience in Neonatal and pediactric intensive care units.As a father I'd definetly take adrians advice. I'd get on the phone to someone like hillbilly or Robert ASAP, and get her transferred to the best hospital and under the care of the best doctor in Santo Domingo you can afford..unfortunately DR is not known for having the best.Yes, dengue is something you can just sit out... but dengue hemorragic is not... especially with children.good luck finding platelets snuffy.

Reactions: Adrian Bye

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Yes, I'm trying to find a hospital now. Thanks. If anyone knows of hospital and specific doctor then let me know. I'm open to all suggestions.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Yes, I'm trying to find a hospital now. Thanks. If anyone knows of hospital and specific doctor then let me know. I'm open to all suggestions.

Clinica Abreu
809-688-4411
Calle Beller 43
esq Ave Independencia
Clinica Abel Gonzalez
809-227-2235
953 Ave Abraham Lincoln
CEDIMAT
809-565-9989
Ortega Y Gassette
Plaza De La Salud
Hospiten