Shotgun at home.

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
Good morning ladies and gents.

I plan on moving to the DR soon and I was wondering what are the laws for owning a firearm to keep your home for example a 12 gauge shot gun, can one buy one in the DR without a permit? Is a permit required to own one? If so can a foreigner get a permit, and if yes how can one obtain this permit? I would love to be able to have a weapon at home if possible.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
yes, you need a Gun Permit for a shotgun.
to get such permit you need to obtain permanent residency.
expect any firearms to cost here used 3-6 times of what they would cost New in the USA.
for example some years ago I bought a Beretta 92FS in Miami for around $1.100.- plus RD$14.700.- Pesos to register the Gun here in the DR, today the same piece used and 5-8 years old costs around RD$180.000.- Pesos at any Gunshop.
since august 2006 You can Not import Firearms anymore, the main reason why the always expensive Guns here went up skyrocketed in their Value/Price.
to get a Gunpermit go to a Dealer, purchase the Gun and use the Dealer's service to get the Permit, they assist you on that, usually even included in the Rates for the Gun.
Mike

Reactions: Lucille

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
Well geez I wasn’t planning on getting a residency, so I guess no gun for me, i guess I’m going to have to get used to being but naked in the DR, it’s bad enough i cant carry one but I was hoping I could at least have one at home legally, it’s going to take some getting use to I tell you, guess I’ll just have to settle for a machete or something along those lines, I mean I’m sure Santiago is relatively safer then where I live now but you know force of habit, I just feel better with my babies with me if you know what I mean.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Others have worried about this..... a couple of proposed solutions:

the insect spray that shoots a 10 foot stream

speargun

WW
Plus , of course, dogs and more dogs

Jul 4, 2010
So you will keep the shotgun at home. Almost half of homeowners in the DR have unregistered guns at home, according to the Interior and Police Ministry. People also keep illegal guns, like homemade firearms called 'chilenas' and 'chagones'. If you are a law abiding citizen, and will never find yourself in a situation that will provoke a police raid in your home, you can rest assured. Shotgun permits are issued for life, aand they need not be renewed every year like other firearms. If the case arises that you need to defend yourself inside your home with your shotgun, you'll need either a good alibi or good police and/or military connections to 'clean up' the scene. This goes for all weapons.

Dec 21, 2008
Paint ball gun?

We're thinking of bringing a paint ball gun with us - any problems with that? We thought that a paint ball would mark someone well if they intruded and if you have ever been hit with a paint ball, it hurts like hell. Won't kill anyone (I don't think I could live with myself if I shot and killed someone even in self-defence) but could cause some serious pain.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
If the case arises that you need to defend yourself inside your home with your shotgun, you'll need either a good alibi or good police and/or military connections to 'clean up' the scene. This goes for all weapons.

This is one thing I could never understand. If someone breaks into your home and you feel that your life and those of your loved ones are threatened with either physical harm or even death, you will probably be in serious trouble for defending yourself and your family. I don't understand this concept.........
What if the intruder(s) are seriously hurt or mortally wounded with another type of weapon?.......

B in Santiago

Jul 4, 2010
This is one thing I could never understand. If someone breaks into your home and you feel that your life and those of your loved ones are threatened with either physical harm or even death, you will probably be in serious trouble for defending yourself and your family. I don't understand this concept.........
What if the intruder(s) are seriously hurt or mortally wounded with another type of weapon?.......

B in Santiago

Maybe it's a throwback to Napoleonic Code days, but in the DR, if you kill a person, be it an intruder o even in self-defense, you will be charged for homicide, until you can prove in a court of law that there were extenuating or mitigating circumstances that may call for dismissal.

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
Maybe it's a throwback to Napoleonic Code days, but in the DR, if you kill a person, be it an intruder o even in self-defense, you will be charged for homicide, until you can prove in a court of law that there were extenuating or mitigating circumstances that may call for dismissal.

Hmmm... where i live you can legally shoot someone dead for trespassing on your property, but then again if you find a goat on your land you?re not allowed to shoot it with a firearm, the legal way to get rid of this nuisance is to cut off its head and feet, you get to keep the head and feet and the owner is entitled to the rest of the body, pretty archaic laws if you ask me hahaha!

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
HB I see your point and from what I have read it seem it’s not so simple to have one legally and being a law abiding citizen I will never get an illegal firearm but I must admit if I could get one legally I would, students can be victims of aggression too , I have been called paranoid before but can't help it but I realize I will have to adjust to a new way of life, things have happened to me over here and to some friends and family I do not need to mention, so yes over here I’m always packing and it saved my neck a few times, but I guess a pocket knife or something will have to do or if I could get a tazer that would be great.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
To mike fisher does your answer also apply to handguns or are there different than with shotguns? How about a carry or concealed permit--also different rules?

applies for all handguns up to 9mm, over 9mm are not allowed in posession of private persons, only military and police.
the 2nd permit to carry a Gun is just a 805 pesos extra tax to pay per year, for that they print the 2nd Gun Permit that allows to carry the Gun.

if You are in the situation where you have to shoot a person in your house/property, put a Kittchenknife or machete in one hand of the Dead Intruder and your cellphone or laptop in his other Hand, caught doing theft, on Your property, and Armed, so your life been in danger.

Mike

PapaGG

May 31, 2010
guns available

Are hand guns readily available in a legal gun shop? Does POP have a gun shop. I realize it will be expensive. Is ammo readily available, say for a 9 MM or 357?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It always amuses me when I hear about people coming here with such a crazy idea of self preservation. You are a student fir gods sakes not a gangster, really the only reason you should need a shotgun is if you plan on part timing security work.
Get a steel gate on your door and windows, buy a taser for $80 from any gunshop here (no license needed) a can of pepper spray and move to a reasonably decent neighbourhood. Are you gunna be studying drama?

Sorry, couldn't help that :bunny:

KenoshaChris

Jan 4, 2002
HB I see your point and from what I have read it seem it?s not so simple to have one legally and being a law abiding citizen I will never get an illegal firearm but I must admit if I could get one legally I would, students can be victims of aggression too , I have been called paranoid before but can't help it but I realize I will have to adjust to a new way of life, things have happened to me over here and to some friends and family I do not need to mention, so yes over here I?m always packing and it saved my neck a few times, but I guess a pocket knife or something will have to do or if I could get a tazer that would be great.

Whey studying in the DR, perhaps you will learn something about sentence structure and punctuation.

Reactions: MikeFisher

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
For driving around you might want something like this:

Somalia (Photo 1) - Philip Poupin : Photographe

or these:

Somali Technicals and AFV Photos

Haha, I sometimes wonder if I am living in the same country as these characters, seriously I do sometimes wonder if I am oblivious to how much danger I'm in, walking my neighbourhood without body armour and an rpg on my shoulder.

No need to put much thought into why the US murder rate is so high if guns are so much a part of daily life.

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
How about a pellet gun? Some air pellet guns can fire a .177/.22 caliber round from 450 to 1000fps. That if you really feel the need to have protection, but I like the pepper spray, it works well!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I dunno, I have. 30,000 volt taser I tested on my own leg and needed hospital treatment and have lost a chunk of my Tongue, pretty convincing for me, remember nothing! $80us from the gunshop on churchhill, think I'd rather be shot. Took me a week to get better.