University Education in DR...

Badoo

Oct 7, 2010
How would you rate the education for college students in DR? What are the PROS and CONS of studying in DR? Which universities are better? Once you attain a degree in DR, is it possible to return to the states with it?

You can add any relative information regarding the university education in DR.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
All I can do for you is give my general impressions of those who worked for me.

In Santiago... mostly industrial engineers, accountants, administrators, and IT personnel... mostly from PUCMM and UTESA. 15+ years indirectly working with them... 3+ years working with & directly supervising. PUCMM graduates in general are more sophisticated and preferred... but that may be more attributable to higher socio-economic status & exposure to more things in life than it is attributable to the quality of their education. Most are not at all trained or ready for 'the real world', lack critical thinking, and for the most part need to be trained in the most basic of tasks and require regular follow up to insure things are done correctly and on time.

Versus U.S... critical thinking is more ingrained in U.S. graduates. Problem solving capabilities are better. Self motivation is more apparent in the workplace. Discipline in following instructions is far superior. Grasping theoretical concepts is better.

That said... I had absolutely brilliant, phenomenal, hard-working employees, co-workers, and business partners in Santiago that I would take with me anywhere in the world. But... overall, whether it's the culture or the educational system - US educated employees enter the work force better prepared and overall better employees than their Dominican counterparts.

Overall... on a scale of 1-10... if US graduates were a 10... I'd rate Dominican graduates on average a 5 or 6.

Reactions: Keith R