using debit card at BHD or Ban Reservas

tilinmarte

Aug 29, 2007
I wanted to know if I can walk into bank (BHD-BR-BPopular)with my chase debit card and withdraw money from my account(card) also with my credit card. I would prefer to walk in the bank instead of using ATM machine.

Also can I cash a personal check from my bank(chase) let's say in a casa de cambio and or bank as well ?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I wanted to know if I can walk into bank (BHD-BR-BPopular)with my chase debit card and withdraw money from my account(card) also with my credit card. I would prefer to walk in the bank instead of using ATM machine.

Also can I cash a personal check from my bank(chase) let's say in a casa de cambio and or bank as well ?

Are you asking as someone who is living here or plans to live here, or as a tourist?

It is possible for someone living here to establish a relationship with a banco de cambio to cash personal checks written on your bank in the US or wherever. I have had such an arrangement with a banco de cambio in Sosua for 10 years and I know many other expats have such a relationship where they live. It takes time to establish such a relationship and you are helped a lot of someone the owner of the banco de cambio knows and trusts speaks on your behalf. If you are just a short time visitor, I doubt very much that this will be possible.

tilinmarte

Aug 29, 2007
Im going to be down there in santiago , for a couple of months and dont want to travel with alot of cash. While im down there i'll open a bank account . I know I can take a cashiers check . But i want to with draw for example like 300us a week on my debit that way i can transfer money online

I have a DR cedula but I live in miami

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
from my experience you can only withdraw money inside a bank with your creditcard (visa, mastercard). Debit cards can only be used in the machines.

I have a banco popular account and transfer money from my european account to this one, which takes 2 working days.

Banco popular wants 2 local references (customers at that particular branch, and they should ask you for a reference of the bank in your home country). Mind you, every branch has its own rules, and I think the local references are the main issue.