Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
Reactions: cobraboy

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Just read in the Dutch newspaper about a Belgium who grew up in the Netherlands and who had moved to the DR last year was murdered and found quartered and burned on a garbage dump.
The motif was money and the ex of the victims girlfriend is the suspect. It doesn't say where it happened. Couldn't find anything about this in DR newspapers. Maybe somebody else knows something.

Oegstgeester gevierendeeld - Binnenland | Het laatste nieuws uit Nederland leest u op Telegraaf.nl [binnenland]

he was a frequent visitor to El Conde,and had coffee at Pacos quite often...many expats new him here in SD.There has been a rumor around for some time about his demise,but until now,now proof.
bob

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
Unedited Google Language Tools translation from Dutch to English:

SANTO DOMINGO - On a garbage dump in the Dominican Republic was severely mutilated body was found by Luc Vandormael (58) from Oegstgeest. Vandormael was burnt and quartered.

Luc Vandormael
Luc Vandormael with daughter
Vandormael, Belgian by birth, from his fourteenth living in Netherlands last year and emigrated to the Dominican Republic, was the victim of an organized gang behind his money Sat

That suspect, his daughter Pascale from Noordwijk, who has contact with friends of her father. Vandormael, until recently the system for space research and technology center ESTEC in Noordwijk, was a rich man, certainly by Dominican standards. In September 2009, shortly after his early retirement, he settled on his dream island. Vandormael had a wife, July Nunez, but that marriage existed only on paper. Ten months ago he had a relationship with the young Suny (29). Both July and Suny are heard and released. The police see the ex-boyfriend as the prime suspect Suny.

"Last Saturday was our father in touch with friends and Sunday he called his mother. During the conversation it seemed he got a push, how the connection was broken. Sunday night around nine hours, he must be killed, "said daughter Pascale, who, like her brother Patrick is desperate." From the authorities we hear nothing. Problem is that he is an immigrant, no longer has permanent residence in the Netherlands and Belgian nationality. That does not make it easier to repatriate his body."

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Very sad news, and extremely disturbing to hear of such horrific mutilation, I only hope it was after his death.
How people find themselves unaware they are under such threat is beyond me.
I think those pictures were quite old as if it is the same guy I know from El Conde he was much whiter in his facial hair than on those, a big guy and came across as a wise and worldly gent even if a little grumpy.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
he was a frequent visitor to El Conde,and had coffee at Pacos quite often...many expats new him here in SD.There has been a rumor around for some time about his demise,but until now,now proof.
bob

Wow this story worries me... I'm nowhere near an expat but is one to assume that any foreinger living in the DR is a target for murder? Unless of course he was involved in criminal activity... Why would there be rumors? That's really scary...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Seems a GF is always involved in these things...

There is a lesson there, somewhere...

Reactions: Celt202

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No, one should not assume that all expats are targets for murder and no, this is not something that is happening all over the country.

When there is a murder in the city or state where you live, do you immediately assume that you are a target for murder?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
no, if you are an expat , you are not a target for murder. the problem is that many expats seem to form relationships with the lower strata of dominican society, and find themselves in a seedy underworld of the lowest forms of humanity anywhere on the planet. i remember the story of the teenage girl, some months back, who poisoned a guy with oatmeal, then took his money to go to the salon.

Reactions: badpiece33
Jan 3, 2003
Wow this story worries me... I'm nowhere near an expat but is one to assume that any foreinger living in the DR is a target for murder? Unless of course he was involved in criminal activity... Why would there be rumors? That's really scary...

There was a time not so long ago that an ex-pat's life was sacred in the DR. I remember when Dominicans would not even look them in the eye out of respect. The National Army would protect the lives of foreigners as if they had come down from the heavens. They could venture anywhere and it was GOD who was in motion.

TODAY, IT'S ANOTHER STORY.

La vida de un extranjero hoy en dia no vale ni una guayaba podrida!!!!!!!!!!

Today, foreigners are POLLOS GRINGOS. Do you know what they do to POLLOS??

Reactions: SantiagoDR

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
There was a time not so long ago that an ex-pat's life was sacred in the DR. I remember when Dominicans would not even look them in the eye out of respect. The National Army would protect the lives of foreigners as if they had come down from the heavens. They could venture anywhere and it was GOD who was in motion.

Funny how that "God" complex backfires every time. Especially when those "Gods" feel compelled to follow the examples of Gods found in Greek, Roman, Norse mythology and lay down with mortal Women. Some people push the envelope right up to the point where it decides to push back. This happens every day, all over the World.

Reactions: Onions/Carrots

aarhus

Long live King Frederik X
Jun 10, 2008
Gang Method

Seems a GF is always involved in these things...

There is a lesson there, somewhere...

That seems to be a method for these gange. Use the girlfriend/boyfriend as bait.

shawn27

May 24, 2010
No, one should not assume that all expats are targets for murder and no, this is not something that is happening all over the country.

When there is a murder in the city or state where you live, do you immediately assume that you are a target for murder?

No, but then again the US isn't a third world country, plus it's much bigger than DR. Thinking about going back to Santo Domingo for the fourth time next month but not sure... I'm already known by many people there and don't want to be a target. Seems like there's more to this story... he must've rubbed someone the wrong way. You don't murder someone and decapitate them unless you really ****ed them off.

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
No, but then again the US isn't a third world country, plus it's much bigger than DR. Thinking about going back to Santo Domingo for the fourth time next month but not sure... I'm already known by many people there and don't want to be a target. Seems like there's more to this story... he must've rubbed someone the wrong way. You don't murder someone and decapitate them unless you really ****ed them off.

Well the suspect is the ex boyfriend of the girl.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009

I remember very well a not so distant time when a chica was arrested right away by Politur for approaching a foreigner without his invitation- in the street or in the Beach in Boca Chica. And to free her from jail that foreigner`s request was needed. A statement to Politur that he did allow her to talk to him. First hand. On several occasions.

Respect to foreigners was here before the influx of Americans who began throwing money regardless left and right. A gringo who gives too much money to locals (often for nothing, like "propina") does not induce a sense of respect. For many generations here it was known that to get even a dollar from a foreigner one has to work hard.

Easy abandant money from Americans spoiled them big time. And brought in lots of criminals.

We can learn from Germans. But we do not want to.

Another damage to the image and respect of foreigners was caused with a more recent influx of Eastern Europeans. Who have no idea how a respectable foreigner must behave in a poor third world developping country.

Dominicans first were shocked to see so much self-disrespect of these new foreigners (albeit having huge money nouveau). Very quickly adjusted. And now do not give a sh!t.

To grab an a$$ of a female foreigner in the street or in the bar is a common thing now.

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
It is that he was having sexual relation with another woman. that could also be the motif since some foreigners think that they can take whichever woman they want. be really careful when doing that because you could get kill anywhere for that.

Afgan

Mar 29, 2009
No, one should not assume that all expats are targets for murder QUOTE]

Maybe not exactly for murder. But each of us is walking here with a big $ on the forehead. And being watched constantly. Passionately waiting for an opportunity.

Not my imagination. Was told on several occasions by Dominicans (current and former) with whom I got close over many years. In this country and in USA.

Normally they do not reveal these things to gringos. A correct gringo must be soft, relaxed, and unsuspicious.

Mar 1, 2009
If you lie down with fleas. If he was involved with the people of lower strata then it seems reasonable that he might have allowed himself to be put in a dangerous position. Too bad, this hurts the country.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Respect to foreigners was here before the influx of Americans who began throwing money regardless left and right. ..............

Easy abandant money from Americans spoiled them big time. And brought in lots of criminals.

We can learn from Germans. But we do not want to.

Another damage to the image and respect of foreigners was caused with a more recent influx of Eastern Europeans. Who have no idea how a respectable foreigner must behave in a poor third world developping country.

Ohhh. So it was Los Diablos Americanos! It figures.

What a crock. The guy was Belgian and had been a permanent resident in the Netherland Antilles so he was pretty familiar with Caribbean culture already.

Most of those "Eastern Europeans" you're talking about are from developing countries. Puh-lease. :bored:

Status
Not open for further replies.