Parcel to DR still not arrived. Please advise!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoelouise

Oct 15, 2010
Hello :)

Im looking for some advice really. I posted a parcel to the Dominican Republic on 1st October 2010 and my friend still hasnt received it. How long should it take for it to arrive? My postal company is telling me its in the Dominican Republic and i cant do anything about it at the moment

Help?

Last edited by a moderator:

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Hello :)

Im looking for some advice really. I posted a parcel to the Dominican Republic on 1st October 2010 and my friend still hasnt received it. How long should it take for it to arrive? My postal company is telling me its in the Dominican and i cant do anything about it at the moment

Help?

I hate to tell you this, but the odds of it ever arriving isn't good unless you used UPS/Fedex.

Sorry...:ermm:

AE

Mar 2, 2008
If you didn't send point to point via FedEx, UPS, or some similar service, you probably should write it off as a lesson learned.

The DR postal "system" is notoriously bad, and things routinely disappear. If you sent something of value it is probably in some DR postal clerk's house by now.

Sorry, that has been my experience with the postal service here.

zoelouise

Oct 15, 2010
:( thanks guys!

Definately a lesson learned then and a lot of money wasted!!

The address was written on in block capitals and very clearly

zoelouise

Oct 15, 2010
Well consolation is when i complain to my mail office i should get compensation as i have the proof of postage

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Well consolation is when i complain to my mail office i should get compensation as i have the proof of postage

Let us know how you make out with that. Unless it was sent Registered Mail/Insured you're probably out of luck.

Don't give up hope so soon though, there's still time. I have sent small packages from the US via Priority Mail [to Sosua] and First Class Mail [to Santo Domingo] which actually arrived.

AE

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Since I seem to be the ONLY foreigner who actually gets mail through the DR postal service----

it takes about 2 to 3 weeks for a letter

and

MONTHS for a parcel since that will be shipped by boat

Then it will arrive in Santo Domingo

and sit there for a while

until it gets to the outback

barring--- as others have suggested---- that the parcel has been stolen---

I have never had anything stolen

and I regularly get letters

it did take at least a month or six weeks for mail to get to me in Las Terrenas

zoelouise

Oct 15, 2010
Its been posted to a hotel in Playa Dorada.

My mail office told me it would take at least 5 days but that was 15 days ago. My friend is kinda mad at me now aswell, they wanted me to leave it when i left

zoelouise

Oct 15, 2010
Thank you MountainAnnie, ive not given up hope yet. Fingers crossed it will get there sometime in the next 7 months before i go back :ermm:

mudmommy

Oct 14, 2010
I have also sent packages, thru regular mail (from canada) and they have arrived in as little as 10 days and as long as 3 months,,, i sent a package around the 1st of august (a larger package) and it took only 10 days,, and i sent a small package (with birthday cards) and it still has not arrived there yet,,, at least the bigger package with the birthday gifts arrived safetly,, (presents were opened but all there) and it also cost the receiver a little bit of money on his end as well,, i think like 100 pesos,,,,,

Mudmommy

zoelouise

Oct 15, 2010
Thanks for all your replys, I guess i will love in hope and wait to see.

If it gets open then he probably will not get it, maybe i should have just left it when i came home

zoelouise

Oct 15, 2010
Hi Milo

I sent it with an english company called royal mail, i did try to call them but they had closed by the time id spoken to my friend.

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
I have received many parcels and letters through the postal service here, although I don't recommend using this service it actually works. If its a parcel, it doesn't matter where you addressed it to, its probably in the main postal office in Puerto Plata waiting for someone to pick it up and pay the import taxes.. So tell your friend to go down there and investigate.....good chance its there.

zoelouise

Oct 15, 2010
Hammerdown

Thank you so much! He isnt too far away from puerto plata the only thing is i only put his first name on there and the hotels full postal address. Would they let him take it if it is there?

zoelouise

Oct 15, 2010
would he know where the postal office is or will i need to find the address? Ive been in puerto plata and can never find what im looking for :cheeky:

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
Postal office is on the corner of 12 de Julio, and Seperacion....He should bring proof of his working for the hotel (as its addressed to the hotel) and his cedula. Oh and of course about $RD500 for the taxes....

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Hammerdown

Thank you so much! He isnt too far away from puerto plata the only thing is i only put his first name on there and the hotels full postal address. Would they let him take it if it is there?

Did you include the Hotel name?

I'm thinking if you only used his first name, how many employees does the hotel have with the same first name? How will the hotel know who it give it to? Many employees work in many areas of a hotel not just the visible guys. If he's an employee that is

Status
Not open for further replies.