Travlers Checks

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
Don't bother, they are not very common here. Plus they might charge you a large commission to change them.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Do not bring them. They are hard to cash as most places wont take them. In the rare cast that they do they will charge a pretty hefty commission as well as give you a poor rate on your exchange. So you lose two times on the transaction.
Use cash of if you don't want to bring alot of cash with you use your ATM cards. However do notify your bank of your travel plans other wise when they see it being used here in the DR they will put a hold on the card fearing fraud. Aslo if possibel use the card at machine connected to a bank so if there is a problemm with the card you might (notice i said might) be able to take care of it there.

Bob K

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I would disagree with both Bobs-....

You have to change your travelers checks in a bank... since stores will not accept them

you will have to show your passport and stand in line

my friend who used them was NOT charged a fee

AND

most credit cards for ATM withdrawals include a heafty fee for international transactions

carrying cash is simply not a good idea

TRAVELERS Checks cannot be cloned and used in the Ukraine (or whereever... that was just where mine was used... leading to the bank blocking it immediately and my being left without a source of funds)

AndyGriffith

Mar 11, 2010
Will I have any problems cashing travelers checks at any of the Dominican banks?

Cash (USD) and ATM Debit Card only. A word about the ATM debit card. Try to use Progreso or Banreservas ATM's as many banks are now charging $RD112 charge per ATM withdrawal. In addition, do a test withdrawal first at any and all ATM's of about $RD2000. The reason is because sometimes the transaction goes thru and debits your account and then no cash comes out of the ATM. Then you have to call your bank and file a dispute for them to give you a provisional credit and clear up the mess. Keep the transaction small at first to avoid any and all problems. In addition, do call your bank and inform them of your travel plans, but do no suppress the fraud prevention measures. The bank told me it is better to let Visa do their thing and you call back to confirm to create a history of your usage. If you suppress the fraud prevention, then Visa can't build a history of your usage of the card and you will then have to continually call your bank to suppress the measures every so many weeks or so. Some ATM debit cards get a good exchange rate of around $RD37 with no additional charges taken out. Just remember, ATM's are like slot machines-be careful. Best of luck!

Reactions: woofsback
Feb 7, 2007
Amex Travellers checks can be cashed with absolutely no problems in Banco del Progresso since they are Amex affiliate, and in Popular as well.

P.S. I know I was charged a fee of about 5% but I think it was when I bought the travellers checks in Popular.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
I would disagree with both Bobs-....

You have to change your travelers checks in a bank... since stores will not accept them

you will have to show your passport and stand in line

my friend who used them was NOT charged a fee ...
I agree you need to go to a bank. In my experience the banks do not charge a fee, but they are a pain to cash.

In the last year I cashed travelers checks in two different banks. Each time it took over 1/2 hour to cash. One of the banks limited the amount that they would cash.

Year ago you could cash travelers checks just about anywhere, but not anymore.

Malibook

Bronze
Jan 23, 2002
www.yourtraveltickets.com
The cambios at the Playa Dorada Plaza will cash Amex travellers cheques.
There is no fee but the exchange rate is lower than their cash rate by around 1 peso and their cash rate is lower than that of a good cambio or bank by around 1.5 pesos so people who change their TC there lose around 6-7%.

If you don't mind lower exchange rates and wasting time and you want piece of mind, TC are fine.

I'll stick with US$ and ATM.

Most ATM fees are not hefty unless you are an idiot taking out 1000 pesos or some other piddly amount per transaction.