Chip is unofficially "Dominican"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I know it's kind of late but I just got back home from Orlando and wanted to celebrate my new "status" with you fellow DR1'ers, "Dominican".

I was in Orlando on a business trip and as usual I stayed with a Dominican family I have known for 10 years now. It is an older couple with 6 grown up kids and they consider me family and I do likewise. They have been in the States for more than 25 years and also like to tell everybody that will listen that I'm they're "American" son. They are good simple Dominicans getting the most out of their American dream.

Anyway I realized my new found "identity" while chatting with do?a Mirian when she commented kind of matter of factly about my luggage that it was just like the "white people use". I then realized she saw me not as American but as Dominican.

Therefore, for those that say it can't be done it can. And it's easy too. Learn the language to the best to one's ability and treat Dominicans just like you would any other person, ie hopefully with respect and sincere interest in their well being and they too will see you as "Dominican".

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
Good advice chip, that exactly what I do when I go to the DR and what I plan do when I move there, in fact it is what I do anywhere I go, personally I find that when going to a foreign place it sometimes may be better to avoid doing to typical tourist things and just hang with the locals that way you can really discover what the place has to offer, and just so you know despite my little rent on one of my threads on bad cheese I do love the DR, and my DR girl, and my DR friends, and specially my DR girl, the food in general, the way of life and many other things, as for food I’ve been craving some chicharon for the past few days, I love that sh***t man!!! Although I put hot sauce .on it, 2 more weeks left and DR it is baby!!!! Need a break from the chaos over here,

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Good advice chip, that exactly what I do when I go to the DR and what I plan do when I move there, in fact it is what I do anywhere I go, personally I find that when going to a foreign place it sometimes may be better to avoid doing to typical tourist things and just hang with the locals that way you can really discover what the place has to offer, and just so you know despite my little rent on one of my threads on bad cheese I do love the DR, and my DR girl, and my DR friends, and specially my DR girl, the food in general, the way of life and many other things, as for food I?ve been craving some chicharon for the past few days, I love that sh***t man!!! Although I put hot sauce .on it, 2 more weeks left and DR it is baby!!!! Need a break from the chaos over here,
I'm curious: are you on a period (.) diet?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Anyway I realized my new found "identity" while chatting with do?a Mirian when she commented kind of matter of factly about my luggage that it was just like the "white people use". I then realized she saw me not as American but as Dominican.

Good for you chip!

Thanks for the chuckle your'e a riot:cheeky:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Therefore, for those that say it can't be done it can. And it's easy too. Learn the language to the best to one's ability and treat Dominicans just like you would any other person, ie hopefully with respect and sincere interest in their well being and they too will see you as "Dominican".

Great advice applicable to any country in the world :bunny: Although, I am not convinced the goal is to be seen as one of "them", but to be treated back with the same respect and sincere interest.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
... I am not convinced the goal is to be seen as one of "them",

The point of my thread is to point out you can be accepted here in the DR. I have posted for a few years of the importance of learning the language, customs and how to fit in otherwise and have been ridiculed for it and bluntly told that Dominicans will never accept me as one of their own. Now we know that is not true.

As far as the "goal", I only have one, do what is right while I'm here on this earth and teach same to my children.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Chip I understand totally. I feel on the "verge" of this. Often my words and actions are much more the culture here.............

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007

I guess this is the point of this thread.

Duly noted!!!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.