Are Colmados Registered With the Government...

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Looking to find out if Colmados need to be licensed and if so, what agency does the overseeing. Also would they have a list (if licensed) of all the Colmados in a particular city.

B in Santiago

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
If it is registered then they would pay tax, and they don't. Well, I am friendly with a few and none pay tax at all. The brewery probably indirectly feeds the info of them to the government but that would be complicated for these lot to figure a trace out.
I expect a few are, but generally speaking, no. Try looking in calmado monthly online, if they are, you'll probably get your info on there.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
If it is registered then they would pay tax, and they don't. Well, I am friendly with a few and none pay tax at all. The brewery probably indirectly feeds the info of them to the government but that would be complicated for these lot to figure a trace out.
I expect a few are, but generally speaking, no. Try looking in calmado monthly online, if they are, you'll probably get your info on there.

Good thing you are sober tonight.

http://www.dr1.com/forums/907685-post21.html

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am sure that they have a patenta, and they are most likely are registered with the IDSS--the Dominican Social Security Institute. However, regarding taxes???/Well, I kind of doubt it...except the direct ones. I cannot see how the government could possible oversee the collection of the VAT taxes from the 1000s of these places.

HB

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I am sure that they have a patenta, and they are most likely are registered with the IDSS--the Dominican Social Security Institute. However, regarding taxes???/Well, I kind of doubt it...except the direct ones. I cannot see how the government could possible oversee the collection of the VAT taxes from the 1000s of these places.

HB

I am actually looking for some kind of colmado contact list possibly available for free or for purchase from the government for the Santiago area.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Make friends with someone from L. Leon Jimenes....they have a complete list of every colmado in the country...

HB

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
HB, please excuse my ignorance, I don't know what that is that you speak of.

B in Santiago

on DR1 you're a highly respected poster and have 1,593 posts and 3619 rep points, but never heard of e leon jimenez, far and away the largest company in the DR?

(i'm not criticizing you, its more of a statement about the larger DR1 community).

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
on DR1 you're a highly respected poster and have 1,593 posts and 3619 rep points, but never heard of e leon jimenez, far and away the largest company in the DR?

(i'm not criticizing you, its more of a statement about the larger DR1 community).

The only leon jimenez I have heard of is in the tobacco business. Is this is the same company that HB is talking about?
There are a lot of large companies here, but if I don't do business with them, and being that I am retired, I wouldn't normally spend time inquiring what any company is doing, big or small. Sorry to say, I have lived in my own little sheltered world here and just do what a retired person does. I have spent the last 3 years with R&R and am now getting bored to death. I am putting together a business venture which will deal with Colmados and that is why I asked if there was any contact lists available. As time goes on and I get more involved with my new company I hope to get to know every business here that could possibly help me in my cause. I have talked to a couple of learned longtime residents of the D.R. (DR1 members) and they say my idea will make a killing.
So, the process begins........

And AB, thank you for the above mentioned complement in your post, I really appreciate the respect notation.

B in Santiago

Reactions: Bronxboy

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
They own Presidente and Marlboro (which they have sold back to Philip Morris) and therefore know every little business in the country.

Also, I just came across this: the Dominican Federation of Retail Merchants
Federaci?n Dominicana de Comerciantes Detallistas (Fedepro).
The president is a guy named Enercido Sanchez. I have no phone or address but it is a start.

HB

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Thank you HB, my target date to get my product out there is the 1st of February....
This will be a good informational source If Senor Sanchez will be kind enough to give me a few moments of his time.

B in Santiago

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
you know what would be a more interesting business opportunity would be to build relationships with all those colmados and leverage that as a distribution channel to introduce new products to the market nationwide.

its going to be very hard for you to do that well yourself AND sell a product.. but if you focused just on managing that channel, that might work better.. or otherwise find someone else who has already done just that and pay them for it.

waytogo

Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
Almacenistas sell to smaller supermarkets and the colmados

I believe you are talking about.......(EXAMPLE)
Asoc. Dominicana De Almacenista Importadores
27 de febrero 351, Santo Domingo

I HAVE NEVER BEEN TO ONE....I WILL TODAY.
TIME TO GET MY FEET WET.......

B in Santiago

Last edited:

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
There are probably 3 main ways to find the colmados.

1. Yes most will buy some produce from almacenes. You could go to the local ones and ask for the information on the colmados who buy from them.

2. Easiest way is to look in the local phone book under, funnily enough, colmados. You will find hundreds listed.

3. The following national companies deliver to colmados - not sure if they would tell you who they deliver to, but you could always get motoconchos to follow the lorries around and write you a list - assuming they can write.

Pepsi - deliver Brahma and Pepsi products
Presidente - beer and malta morena
Coca Cola - refrescos and dasani
Frito Lay - crisps or whatever americans call them - papitas
Rica - juice
Induveca - cheese and salami and ham
cigarette man - two of these, one for marlboro, and nacional and another for the other brands
Orange cards
Claro cards
Nestle
Brugal
Santo Domingo coffee
Gatorade
Helado Bon

Then there are a whole host of local providers for things such as

sweets and biscuits
rice
washing powder and plastic bags
fresh chicken
agua crystal
pasta
bread

let me know if you need any more info

matilda

Reactions: waytogo
Sep 22, 2009
If a colmado maintains an account with the Cerveceria Nacional (i.e. the big Presidente trucks comes to deliver their beer), then they are issued a a Factura "con Valor Fiscal". This means that the fiscal ID number on the receipt says who bought what and the exact amount of sales tax (ITBIS 16%) that was applied.

When the Ceverceria declares their monthy ITBIS debt and sales to the DGII in the following month, they report all "ventas con valor fiscal", they must submit the purchaser account information.

Most colmados in DR do not carry RNC (as a corporation) BUT as a "persona fiscia". The RNC for persona fisica has more loopholes than as a corporation (i.e. it's easier for individuals to not pay ITBIS is full or at all).

Not all Colmado owners maintain an RNC as persona fisica nor "patentes". This depends on the sector and size/visibility of the location.

I don't know who said they can't trace, but The DGII knows what's up -- I can guarantee it.

Reactions: waytogo

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
"Patentes" for businesses were abolished a long time ago. Every business, including colmados, should have a tax number (RNC# -Registro Nacional de Contribuyentes).

Should, but how many actually do.
I know it is hitting off topic, but is it not a bit like everyone should pay for electric, and those that don't should be chased up, but they don't.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
The only colmados that have RNC numbers are the ones that supply goods to larger companies paying taxes. I would be surprised if this number would be more than 5% of the total. 5% is probably generous. All of the colmados that I am aware of buy there stuff with cash and sell for cash. How Presidente or salami guy collects taxes and pays is worth knowing. If there are any taxes, I would assume they are included in the wholesale price.