Al Gore to speak in Santo Domingo on Green Economy

Status
Not open for further replies.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Former Vice President and Nobel Laureate, Al Gore, will speak in Santo Domingo on Friday, Nov. 4, 2010.

on

Thinking Green/ Economic Stategies for the 21st Century

The cost of the all day event is $500 and includes lunch and a copy of An Inconvenient Truth.

Reservations and payment must be made three days before the event.

Contact numbers are 809 332 1864 and 829 435 2898

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Is he still flogging that "Man Made Global Warming" thing - oh er sorry, "Global Warming", oops sorry again, "Climate Change" oh rats! It got colder this decade.

Er OK that was it - the world temperature curve is following the CO2 curve, oh crap! It is the other way round - erm ok, but we can invent a stink load of money from Carbon Trading.
Oh and by the way, all you poorer nations are not allowed to do what we richer nations did to become rich.

But at least he pushed hard for the funding of the internet at a time when nobody else understood.

Rant over.

Delete as applicable.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Well I suppose the ones with the $$$ need to hear the message more than us crusty old veterans ;)

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well this should be very interesting. I hope he mentions (with graphs and data at hand) the impact Dominican emissions are having on the world in relation to what most other countries are doing. Al Gore, if you read this, please list them from most polluter to the least. It's important for people to know where they stand in the greater scheme of things, more so when its a US$500 dinner in a tiny developing Caribbean country. Thanks in advance. :cheeky:

Is he still flogging that "Man Made Global Warming" thing - oh er sorry, "Global Warming", oops sorry again, "Climate Change" oh rats! It got colder this decade.

Er OK that was it - the world temperature curve is following the CO2 curve, oh crap! It is the other way round - erm ok, but we can invent a stink load of money from Carbon Trading.
Oh and by the way, all you poorer nations are not allowed to do what we richer nations did to become rich.

But at least he pushed hard for the funding of the internet at a time when nobody else understood.

Rant over.

Delete as applicable.

took the words out of my mouth.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Didn't he invent the internet???

Pay RD$18,000 to eat with him? No way....why?

I can't wait to see the Sto Dgo elite in the social pages!!!

Of course all the gubmint will be there, those suckers can afford it....

HB, giggling, in spite of myself!

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Well this should be very interesting. I hope he mentions (with graphs and data at hand) the impact Dominican emissions are having on the world in relation to what most other countries are doing. Al Gore, if you read this, please list them from most polluter to the least. It's important for people to know where they stand in the greater scheme of things, more so when its a US$500 dinner in a tiny developing Caribbean country. Thanks in advance. :cheeky:

I was going to say.... but I thought this was not the time nor the place.....
That what he should be concentrating on IS pollution!!

And the D.R. ain't squeaky clean in this regard.
Haina, for example??

Not sure about Barrick, but they do seem to attract attention too??
Although all the attention I have seen is from their political opponents so I am not sure about that one.

Carbon dioxide is not pollution - discuss.

Reactions: Conchman

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
Carbon dioxide is not pollution - discuss.

Actually, no. If you want to debate climate change, and whether or not CO2 should be considered pollution, and you can do so in a DR context, then start another thread.

This thread is about Gore's talk and as I understand it, his talk will be about the green economy, not climate change per se. You want to talk about that, post in this thread.

Keith R
Environment Forum moderator

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am sorry Keith, I am laughing tooo hard at the idea of the Sto Domingo elite shelling out all that cash so this ijit can talk about stuff we already know and that they can do nothing about since they are not the PLD or Leonel....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neither of whom give a good poo about environment or green economy, just "long green" in the bank...

HB

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I am sorry Keith, I am laughing tooo hard at the idea of the Sto Domingo elite shelling out all that cash so this ijit can talk about stuff we already know and that they can do nothing about since they are not the PLD or Leonel....!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Neither of whom give a good poo about environment or green economy, just "long green" in the bank...

HB

get ready for profile pics in facebook of random dominicans with al gore.. :)

Keith R

"Believe it!"
Jan 1, 2002
www.temasactuales.com
HB, I wouldn't pay that much to hear Al Gore (or anyone else, for that matter!) talk about an environmental issue. He should be giving such a talk for free, open to all. Let Funglode pay his speaking fee.

Me personally I would not attend a talk in SD about the Green Economy, but then that may be because I've read/heard so much about the Green Economy in the last 2 years, from sources such as the UN Environment Programme (UNEP), much of it more hype and hopes than concrete analysis and well-reasoned prognosis, that I don't think I could learn anything useful from such a talk.

And I share your skepticism that the people likely to pay that fee and attend this talk will be doing so for anything except pics for the society pages of the newspapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.