Caribe bus, GuaGua or car rental

vahauger

Oct 8, 2010
Ok guys, I am arriving in SDQ on Nov 3 on my way to Las Terrenas, whch one would be the easiest and best form of transportation to my destination? Cost is also a factor. I would appreciate any and all opinions.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Caribe Tours to Sanchez and transport from Sanchez to Las Terrenas, if that is still necessary.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
The least expensive is the GuaGua from Santo Domingo to LT directo. You can also take Caribe Tours to Sanchez and then take a taxi/GuaGua from Sanchez to Lt. The most expensive is a taxi from SDQ to LT. Aside from taking the taxi, which you can get at SDQ, and I suggest you arrange before arrival, you'll need to travel from the airport to the capitol to transport LT.

Last edited:

vahauger

Oct 8, 2010
I'm arriving late into Santo Domingo and planning to stay overnight, then leave the next day for Las Terrenas. I would like to take one of the GuaGua's all of the way but I am concerned about comfort and crowding. I have never seen one of these GuaGua's. What do they look like? Are they air conditioned? I keep having this vision in my head of this beat up bus filled with farm animals. LOL!

ben jammin

Aug 3, 2007
i think another poster jaguarbob takes them regularly and if you don't get a response you could pm him. it is my understanding(from info on dr1) that it is a regular sized bus and is air conditioned. if you were arriving on nov 18th i'd certainly give you a lift. good luck, ben

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
The guagua isn't quite as bad as riding with farm animals but if you are concerned about crowding and comfort take the Caribe Tours bus.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I'm arriving late into Santo Domingo and planning to stay overnight, then leave the next day for Las Terrenas. I would like to take one of the GuaGua's all of the way but I am concerned about comfort and crowding. I have never seen one of these GuaGua's. What do they look like? Are they air conditioned? I keep having this vision in my head of this beat up bus filled with farm animals. LOL!

The guaguas to LT are all new,airconditioned,seat about 30 or so people and not what you are thinking of.
They can get crowded on occasion,but mostly are very comfortable.It is much easier to take the guagua all the way to LT,as Metro is miles away on Churchil Road,and the pickup truck over the mountain from Sanchez to LT is daangerous at best...you will enjoy the ride....and no chickens on board,just great Dominicans...
bob

vahauger

Oct 8, 2010
Thanks everyone for your help. It is greatly appreciated. I will give the GuaGua a try. I need to stay overnight in Santo Domingo. Is there a nice hotel that's not too pricey near where the GuaGua departs for Las Terrenas.

RonS

Bronze
Oct 18, 2004
The parada for the guagua to LT is in the heart of a very busy commercial area. I would stay in the Colonial Zone or in Gazcue and take a taxi to the parada; a relatively inexpensive short ride.

Slick James

Mar 11, 2010
So it sounds like the guagua parada is by Parque Enriquillo? If anybody could confirm that would be great...thanks....