Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 23
  1. #1
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Newbie Questions!

    Hi guys,

    I'm thinking about coming to the dominican, I work online so I can stay as long as I want, probably 6 months+

    I'm sure these questions have been asked before but every time I start reading a post on here I get sucked in for 4 hours :-).

    I would like to see peoples answers to all these questions, rather than get different answers from different people, so I can judge experiences and opinions as a whole.

    If you've got time to answer these I'd be very greatful!

    1. Where is the best place to live at first for a newcomer - English, single male, 26 years, likes a drink (social),clubs, wants to meet girls, wouldnt mind finding mates my age, wanna be near the beach, I can't speak Spanish but I'm good at learning new languages.

    2. On a budget of $2500 US per month all in what could i expect? Apartment? How many nights out? etc

    3. I would need to live somewhere central, I don't want to buy a car and I can't ride a ped/motorbike for the next 12 months as I'm recovering from an open fracture on my elbow. Is that possible on my budget? What are taxi costs? Are central apartments expensive?

    4. I need a stable internet connection to work, mainly Skype calls, Skype chat, emails, uploading to Google Docs. What's it like there and how much does it cost?

    I have been looking around the forums and found some great advice, so if there are any other threads that answer these questions please post the link as I haven't found them.

    Thanks in advance,

    Cheers,

    Reece.

    :-)

  2. #2
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    First of all...It is not 'The Dominican'. It is the Dominican Republic or La Republica Dominicana. Secondly, I would probably just move to central part of Santo Domingo: areas such as Naco, Piantini, Serralles, Paraiso, Evaristo Morales, La Esperilla, Julia-these are the areas that are close enough to going out to clubs, malls, etc.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    You can live quite comfortably in Cabarete on $2.500 and is touristy with plenty of younger ones to mix with, loads of clean partying and so is a good first venue to settle for a while.

  4. #4
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyGriffith View Post
    First of all...It is not 'The Dominican'. It is the Dominican Republic or La Republica Dominicana.
    Sorry I flicked the channel over on the thomas cook advert before they said Republic, thought it was just the Dominican.

    Thanks I'll check those areas out.

  5. #5
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anastacio View Post
    You can live quite comfortably in Cabarete on $2.500 and is touristy with plenty of younger ones to mix with, loads of clean partying and so is a good first venue to settle for a while.
    Sounds good, I'll check it out, thanks.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AndyGriffith View Post
    First of all...It is not 'The Dominican'. It is the Dominican Republic or La Republica Dominicana. Secondly, I would probably just move to central part of Santo Domingo: areas such as Naco, Piantini, Serralles, Paraiso, Evaristo Morales, La Esperilla, Julia-these are the areas that are close enough to going out to clubs, malls, etc.
    Nothing wrong with calling here the Dominican, the Republic or anything else the guy wants to, so whats with the attitude?

    Santo Domingo isn't a good first venue (in my opinion)to base yourself. Big, and so difficult to get into a social circle, the Capital, so very expensive, not near a beach and taxis until you learn your way around will cost a fortune.
    But as he said, he can read into each post what is good advice and what is not.

  7. #7
    Regular
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    287
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anastacio View Post
    Nothing wrong with calling here the Dominican, the Republic or anything else the guy wants to, so whats with the attitude?

    Santo Domingo isn't a good first venue (in my opinion)to base yourself. Big, and so difficult to get into a social circle, the Capital, so very expensive, not near a beach and taxis until you learn your way around will cost a fortune.
    But as he said, he can read into each post what is good advice and what is not.
    Well what kind of girls does the poster want to meet? Does he want to live in Cabarete and meet Euro tourist girls? I would figure one would want to get into more the city night life with all its options, but what do I know. No attitude, it's just that when people say 'The Dominican', it makes you look like the new guy in town, but the poster did say 'newbie'.

  8. #8
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anastacio View Post
    Nothing wrong with calling here the Dominican, the Republic or anything else the guy wants to, so whats with the attitude?

    Santo Domingo isn't a good first venue (in my opinion)to base yourself. Big, and so difficult to get into a social circle, the Capital, so very expensive, not near a beach and taxis until you learn your way around will cost a fortune.
    But as he said, he can read into each post what is good advice and what is not.
    I've just been having a look at some apartments in cabrete, just the first results in Google. Already seen some sweet looking ones for $400.
    Is it like everywhere else i the world where you can knock ~20% off the internet price when you get there?

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    2,695
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Most things are for bargaining, although you will find on apartments expats are the better landlords for that. In my experience Dominicans would rather lose the deal than drop the rent. On all else you can probably expect to reduce the price, I'm not quite sure what it is when it comes to property though.
    I think around $400 is what you can expect to pay in Cabarete for a cute place to live. Best pay a little more for a month only and then hunt around on foot when there, you will pick upsetter deals by just calling numbers on the advertising boards and networking around the other young ones there. People are always coming and going so someone always knows of a place about to come up or is next door or whatever. Good luck, you'll have fun if you choose cabarete.

  10. #10
    Regular
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    10
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Anastacio View Post
    Most things are for bargaining, although you will find on apartments expats are the better landlords for that. In my experience Dominicans would rather lose the deal than drop the rent. On all else you can probably expect to reduce the price, I'm not quite sure what it is when it comes to property though.
    I think around $400 is what you can expect to pay in Cabarete for a cute place to live. Best pay a little more for a month only and then hunt around on foot when there, you will pick upsetter deals by just calling numbers on the advertising boards and networking around the other young ones there. People are always coming and going so someone always knows of a place about to come up or is next door or whatever. Good luck, you'll have fun if you choose cabarete.
    Ok cool, are there any particular areas of Cabrete I should be looking into?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •