Purchasing a jeep.

losflor

Sep 4, 2010
We are looking to buy a SUV/4x4 type thing.

We sold our JEEP Liberty '05 for about $8000 before we moved here and are looking for something similar - ???

Haven't found any decent classifieds - Bavaro Planet for example.

Does anyone know of any 'decent' dealers in the area - or even anyone private who has anything for sale?

Jan 9, 2004
When you see the price....

We are looking to buy a SUV/4x4 type thing.

We sold our JEEP Liberty '05 for about $8000 before we moved here and are looking for something similar - ???

Haven't found any decent classifieds - Bavaro Planet for example.

Does anyone know of any 'decent' dealers in the area - or even anyone private who has anything for sale?

to buy that same vehicle in the DR, you may wish you were back in Mexico. To replace that same vehicle is likely to run about $14,000 USD.

Not sure what is available in Bavaro at the moment, but I do have a trustworthy client with an auto dealership in San Francisco de Macoris. PM me if you want their info.

But before you do anything, search a few threads here on buying cars. There is a wealth of info and advice.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Toyota???!!!

Why Toyota??? Although you hear this quite a bit...I don,t get it. The Jeep Liberty will haul any Toyota thru the mud to hell and back. I have one in Canada and a grand cherokee here and love them both. I have not had any great problems...I have changed ball joints and a few bushings due to the road conditions here,but, thats it....
Keep your uncomfortable,slow toyota...I,ll stick to my jeep, thanks.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Look out with cars with Se Vende on them. There are some dealers on the east coast but nothing much. In contrast, Higuey has to have the most car dealerships per capita on the planet.

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
Why Toyota??? Although you hear this quite a bit...I don,t get it. The Jeep Liberty will haul any Toyota thru the mud to hell and back. I have one in Canada and a grand cherokee here and love them both. I have not had any great problems...I have changed ball joints and a few bushings due to the road conditions here,but, thats it....
Keep your uncomfortable,slow toyota...I,ll stick to my jeep, thanks.

In the DR, Toyota mechanics and parts availability outnumber Jeep about 25 to 1...

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Yes, you do see a lot of Toyota here, but, in the almost 4 years that I have owned my Jeep, I never had trouble getting parts( although not much has gone wrong) and I would only sell it if it was to purchase a newer one. I do love the new grand cherokee.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Yes, you do see a lot of Toyota here, but, in the almost 4 years that I have owned my Jeep, I never had trouble getting parts( although not much has gone wrong) and I would only sell it if it was to purchase a newer one. I do love the new Grand Cherokee.
You make me feel confident with my Dakota truck as it comes from factory built in the same chassis and engine as gran Cherokee jeep...
No man, to compare Toyota with Chrysler vehicles is like we say in DR comparar la mierda con la vaselina...
Toyota vehicles are 100 time better!!! Right now I have three Dodge and two Toyota parked in my house...

JJ

Flora

Oct 23, 2004
We have a 2003 Kia Sportage Turbo Diesel that we are think of selling.

Last edited:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Toyota 4Runner since a few day's...gotta go with the flow, parts are available in tons here and so is the expertise on Toyota's.

Of course the fact that it was owned by the brother of the Repuesto and was in excellent condition and the fact that Whirleybird recommended him highly did the job also :bunny:

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
This is what we like about Toyota vehicles in DR:
1- Only cars proved doing of carro publicos for many years and are still running.
2- Parts are easy to find and the price are affordable.
3- theses vehicles are built with a different mentality than the American cars as you can fix then using the universal tools no like the first one, any time I try to fix something must go and buy a specific tool for an specific part.
Ex. doing timing belt in my Dodge neon I need to buy a crankshaft harmony balance (pulley) puller $ 100. and a serpentine belt release tool that cost me $ 20.
You don't need those tools when servicing a Toyota or a Honda as the the pulley comes out using your hands only and the all the engine belts comes out using a graduation bolt to get then loose...
That is the big difference; take your Toyota to any patio mechanic but your Chrysler must go to the dealer shop.

JJ

Last edited:

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
exactly right, JJ.
after x-mas My Honda will be exchanged into a Toyota Sienna for such Reasons.
at this Location, specially when not living in St Dgo or Santiago, Toyota and Honda are 3 classes worth above any European Brand or american Brand.

Mike

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Mike, Even here in US some time I'm stuck because I don't find what I need, I had to wait three days for this tool to be shipped as it is made by Chrysler and no one have it in the market by the I was doing timpani belt to one of Dodge vehicles. I tried other options from Sears and auto Zone but they broke as the pulley was too tight.
PICT0012.jpg

The clutch slave cylinder for my Dakota took three days to be shipped to Raleigh and most of the time I have to be driving around from one to the other store looking for parts.
JJ

baby bori

May 18, 2010
Guys quick question which one is preferable a Honda CrV or Toyota Rav4 in the DR??? Which would be the more reliable and smoothest ride??

baby bori

May 18, 2010
It seems that the compact SUV market in the DR has a great influx of Honda CRV's and Toyota Rav4's!!!! Might think of buying either one and having it shipped to the DR most likely a 2008 or 2009 version!!

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Mike, Even here in US some time I'm stuck because I don't find what I need, I had to wait three days for this tool to be shipped as it is made by Chrysler and no one have it in the market by the I was doing timpani belt to one of Dodge vehicles. I tried other options from Sears and auto Zone but they broke as the pulley was too tight.
PICT0012.jpg

The clutch slave cylinder for my Dakota took three days to be shipped to Raleigh and most of the time I have to be driving around from one to the other store looking for parts.
JJ

for the Do-It-Yourself Tools Germany wasn't much better than that on specific Tools neither.

I grew Up with Bikes and Cars, of course doing all jobs myself,
my last Bike in Germany been a Custom Bike, took a long Time to finish it on the Weekend but finally got my Name in the Papers instead of "Honda", Engine been a Honda Twin V2 1100, the Rest came out of my Fantasy, ha ha.
my little place had finally some tools other mechanics didn't know about their existance, lol.
cheers
Mike

wileyman

Oct 23, 2010
Can I bring my Toyota from the US to the DR?

I have a 2003 Toyota Tundra that only has 33,000 miles on it and it is in great condition. Can I ship it to the DR or are there rules about older vehicles? I plan to work with an attorney to get my provisional residency then permanent. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Newbie still in Florida

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I have a 2003 Toyota Tundra that only has 33,000 miles on it and it is in great condition. Can I ship it to the DR or are there rules about older vehicles? I plan to work with an attorney to get my provisional residency then permanent. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Newbie still in Florida

Sorry wileyman, it has to be under 5 years old.....

AE

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
for the Do-It-Yourself Tools Germany wasn't much better than that on specific Tools neither.

I grew Up with Bikes and Cars, of course doing all jobs myself,
my last Bike in Germany been a Custom Bike, took a long Time to finish it on the Weekend but finally got my Name in the Papers instead of "Honda", Engine been a Honda Twin V2 1100, the Rest came out of my Fantasy, ha ha.
my little place had finally some tools other mechanics didn't know about their existance, lol.
cheers
Mike
Watch this video, this is my friends Maldin and Juan Carlos mechanic shop.
They have some many tools that I even know that exist like you said. For example the other day I was helping to Juan Carlos putting an engine in time and he handed me a tool to check the position of piston # 1, just think about a patio mechanic working with an electronic device that has a micro camera to monitor the piston, the exhaust and intake valve movements. I was kind of confuse using this as the way I do this is sticking a barbecue skewers by the spark plug's hole to setup piston # 1 to the upper position.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/lf1JHAOSImk?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/lf1JHAOSImk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
JJ

wileyman

Oct 23, 2010
Duty on imported vehicles

So is there duty on the importation of used vehicles? If so, what is the best way to minimize the amount due? Also, any advice on shippers from Florida?