Electronics - Buy Locally or Online?

RainingKarma

Nov 4, 2009
Hi DR1 Community. I?m relying on your collective experience for some advice. I?m a geek about a lot of things, except technological newfangledness, so please bear with me!

Should I buy electronics in the DR or send away for them? I know that cell phones are sold everywhere here (including a place where one can get one?s hair done, buy strawberries and roasted batata. Gotta love it.) I am in the market for an iphone and a wii system and can?t decide what is my best option (in terms of reputable local stores and prices). Would a good online deal plus shipping to DR, be comparable to buying locally?

Also, in re the Nook and Kindle. Does anyone use them here and are they compatible with the local wifi?

On a totally different tack, where o where can I buy lavender plants?

I don?t spend much time online, but I will appreciate your comments and respond soonest, thank you for your attention,

namaste shalom

go yankees

Aspire

Nov 11, 2007
electronics

In my opinion almost all electronics are best bought online and either shipped to your DR shipper?s local USA address (companies like CPS, Business Mail, etc..) or brought in by friends/family in their luggage - the savings is considerable and depending on the size can even be a time-saver. That goes for kindles, ipods, etc...

In terms of a phone thought, I would recommend a provider here as you will get the phone as part of your signing-up for service. If you are looking for a "knock-off" or used phone and/or don?t want to sign-up for a monthly plan, than online or ..:: Emarket.com.do ::.. (local craigslist) would be a good option.

Hope that helps, and GOOOOOO SF GIANTS!

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Bringing things in as part of your luggage is the best way from a cost standpoint. Imports that cost over US$200 are subject to duty, and all imports have a shipping cost based on weight. If you use a DR service like EPS, this is cheaper than FedEx or UPS, but there will be a shipping charge even if you buy something on Amazon for which there is no shipping charge. What this means is that you won't be charged for getting it to the shipper, but you will be charged for bringing it from the US to the DR.

Duty, if charged, and shipping charges, cut into the saving.

Also, the warranty given you by the US seller is worthless in the DR, and the cost of shipping the object back to the US for service is prohibitive.

If I can arrange to have something brought into the country in luggage, or bring it in myself, I'll do that. If I have to have the item shipped into the DR from the US, then I carefully weigh the pros and cons. If there is a small difference, all things considered, I will buy here in order to get the local warranty.

Reactions: Bronxboy

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
it is better to buy online. and more often than not cheaper. do get an EPS/businessmail/whatever account with po box in the states and use that for shipping your items. if you travel often bring electronics in your luggage.

as far as the plants go: viveros sell plants. but i do not know if they have lavender :)

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I use a Kindle here - ordered from Amazon and had it sent over via Miami P O Box/courier service Mail Boxes Etc. and it works fine with my wi-fi. I didn't get the 3G version but a friend who has it says it works well with the local providers.

Reactions: Bronxboy

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I got a Kindle and it works well with any wifi in range.

My Kindle is the new smaller one ($135) and I really like it. I used EPSto get it here.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Hi DR1 Community. I?m relying on your collective experience for some advice. I?m a geek about a lot of things, except technological newfangledness, so please bear with me!

Should I buy electronics in the DR or send away for them? I know that cell phones are sold everywhere here (including a place where one can get one?s hair done, buy strawberries and roasted batata. Gotta love it.) I am in the market for an iphone and a wii system and can?t decide what is my best option (in terms of reputable local stores and prices). Would a good online deal plus shipping to DR, be comparable to buying locally?

Also, in re the Nook and Kindle. Does anyone use them here and are they compatible with the local wifi?

I don?t spend much time online, but I will appreciate your comments and respond soonest, thank you for your attention,

namaste shalom

go yankees

where on the Isle are you living?
few days ago I saw the Brochure of a New Shop here in bavaro, don't remember their name, but they are located at the Plaza Mayoral on the street between Plaza bavaro and Friusa, the have some nice offers, a Wii costs there actually under 10K Pesos.
would not be worth shipping from the outside.
in General the stuff is cheaper from the outside, even including shipping from the USA, but there are always new shops opening their doors somewhere around, so their offers are commparable then for a short Time.
cheers
Mike

RainingKarma

Nov 4, 2009
Yay so much good advice...thanks everyone! My NYC soul is never at peace with the idea of overpaying for stuff (shudder). Buying Cheerios is agony enough!!

I already have a mail forwarding address in Miami (through Mailboxes, etc. in Megacentro, but I?m thinking of trying Vimenca/Western Union, to see if their service is faster/organized. Does anyone use them?).

Just stumbled on a vendor who is selling the Wii for RD11k. I have to find out what is included, sound like a good deal?

Local Craigslist?!? I will check it out, thank you, Aspire, and luck to your Giants (grumble/sigh at Yankees)

ps, what is 3G? :eek:

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com

namaste shalom

go yankees

as far as I know, Lavender is not grown here but I, for one, would be REALLY grateful if someone would start.... I am not a farmer, but tarragon grows here and somehow I think that lavender would like it here!!!

As for the electronics
most of the big pcs here are clones. I bought one from a local store and way overpaid... but to compensate for that they come over ALL the time for nothing and keep the system running so there is a lot to be said for free tech support. I had a problem with the internet connection and they came over, took the box back, reformatted, gave me Windows 7 since I asked for it, hacked into a virus protector and gave me free service for 18 months. So there is a lot to be said for buying local.

My Kindle is en route per Chiri's example.

But I dreadfully miss my little netbook which I brought from the States and which I use for my stereo system with the plug in Bose speakers (available here at Price Smart cheaper than in the US)

Will probably buy a new one here for the advertised $12000 pesos since the dollar is going up and I do not use a mail forwarded.

Bring on the lavender

Go Redsocks!!

Go Lycee!!

RainingKarma

Nov 4, 2009
Waheey for lavender and for Licey!!

I?m just going to go ahead and order the consarnit seeds and plant them, I don?t think aduana will mind a couple of packets of lavender seeds.

Well, my Nook friends told me that they can loan/share books with other Nook people, which you cant do with the Kindle yet. But Kindle is such a prettier word. Nook makes me think of vikings and kindle makes me think of shoes.

But I digress.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
if a Dominican Vendor offers you the Wiiwith 2 Controls for 11K down here, take it and don't bother to save MAYBE 30 bucks on any unknown delivery way.
I never planted Lavender, but I would guess it will go just fine, we have a heck of Seeds planted down here, all brought in from Europe and also from Canada, never had any that did not do very well in our Ilsand's warm Climate.
K., will never try to grow German Winegrapes in PC tho, lol.
for a Power PC you need to make some connections with the right Guys, I get a new Power PC each Year, always custom built by a Buddy of mine who know's about his computer thingies, he is using since years stu.. stuff like Watercooling systems for his high powered graphic cards and such crap, lol.
some pieces he orders in BG, most pieces are available for top rates down here in St Dgo, mostly delivered the next day and for rates you can not ship them in from the outside for.
if you plan to live on the East drop me a PM and I will give you the right phonenumber, no delivery to other places than PC of course.
cheers
Mike