Why do you love the DR? Positive responses only please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
With so many people making their voluntary choice to live here in the DR I'd thought it would be nice to find out what they personally like about the DR.

In my own case, I love the weather, the food and the people's general kindness, not to mention my three Dominican/American daughters and I suppose at times the Dominican wife, jeje.

Please only respond with positive comments, thanks.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
With so many people making their voluntary choice to live here in the DR I'd thought it would be nice to find out what they personally like about the DR.

In my own case, I love the weather, the food and the people's general kindness, not to mention my three Dominican/American daughters and I suppose at times the Dominican wife, jeje.

There are so many threads on this subject maybe someone will come with something new to the table.;)

When I am there, I love the beaches, the women, women, and yeah, the women.:cheeky::cheeky:

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
I would love to read the views of people that are not there for men/women....
By that I mean, someone who actually fell in love with the country first :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I would love to read the views of people that are not there for men/women....
By that I mean, someone who actually fell in love with the country first :)

There are no doubt hundreds and hundreds of them here but you won't find them on this forum.

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I haven't been here very long, but so far I love it here. I love the people, they're so different from Americans. The weather is a little too warm for me, but it's beneficial to my hubbie so that's good. It is beautiful here and everything is different. I like meeting people from all over the world. I do Christian ministry and the Dominicans are very receptive, what a blessing that is to me. We get a lot more house here for less money than in the states. There are lots of reasons to love the DR, or anyplace really, it just depends on your perspective.

Reactions: Chip

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002

Well Chip since everyone thinks their own stuff that they have repeated a thousand times isn't as boring as this, I will take part in your thread. ;)

I love the DR because it's like your first love as you remember it when one was naive and oblivious of many imperfections and dangers. As the years go by and ones love develops warts and bumps you still remember it as beautiful, inviting and without flaws.

The beaches, what I thought would be a simple life, the friendly and helpful Dominicans it's all part of this love for the country. It's not the same as it was when I first looked on the map to see where this vacation place was that a friend of mine decided we should go more than 20 years ago but I still love it and I'm still hooked on what goes on there.:knockedou

Aug 21, 2007
I certainly didn't come here for men OR women. No, my husband isn't here, but that doesn't mean I need to go shopping for a sankie.

Why do I love the DR?

I love the nature here. The North shore, where I live, is very lush. Green is everywhere. Loads of varieties of trees. Flowers of every color imaginable are in constant bloom. The wind blows, you hear the palms swaying. Songbirds wake me in the morning and hold conversations throughout the day. If I sit quietly I can see how alive the DR is.....hummingbirds, dragonflies, and geckos dancing in the gardens. Huge chicken hawks glide on the winds overhead while searching for a catch.

Thunderstorms create their own drama which make me think that the world may just come to an end, while the rains can dump in bucketfuls or can fall so fine while the sun is shining that they tickle my skin.

I can drive down the road and experience a buffet of smells. Dominican fires. Cooking. Pork being sold street-side. Chicken on barbecues.

Sounds....announcements from trucks as they drive down the road.....happy music spilling out of houses signaling life is hard, but all is well. Dominoes being slapped onto the board. The animated chatter of Dominican men having discussions.

Roosters crowing (yes, even roosters crowing) cows mooing their hunger in the morning.

What more is there NOT to like?

And not one of these items mentioned has anything to do with the perceived reason most visit or live on the island.

People like myself, I believe, are the silent majority. We don't vocalize our exploits or criticize those of others. We just keep to ourselves, feeling privileged and blessed to be living in such an idyllic place.

Lindsey

shawn27

May 24, 2010
Besides the women, I'd say I like the laissez faire attitude. I remember my first trip how I thought everyone was just lazy. They are not lazy- they just don't stress themselves out.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
What I love about the DR, is the friendliness and politeness. I like that I get greeted by many of the children/teenagers I know with a big hug and a warm smile. I like that I can give a kid whose misbehaving just a look and they behave, instead of a F--k you and a finger. I love the smell of burning grass in the DR, and sitting on the porch in the morning having a coffee while watching people. I love eating empanadas with limon juice and Dominican chicken. I love watching the interaction between my mother-in-law and her nephews, who clearly adore her, regardless how much they tease her.
I love watching my wife when she is teaching a child having difficulty with math or Spanish, and I love it when you see the lightbulb go on in their head.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I moved here and fell for the country when I was green, felt the landscape was stunning, the dancing on the street was my kinda living, the women were beautiful and new to me, and I had a brilliant circle of friends in the north. Yes, before I understood the country it was the place to be, simple, beautiful. and uncomplicated. Now I have my beautiful girls that make every day worth it, even if I am so much wiser to the reality here.
Life could be so much worse.

BIGBOY21

Sep 15, 2010
I' m gonna make this short, i love the DR because , well when i am there i feel right at home and it makes me feel all warm a fuzzy inside, and yes so do the women lol.

Apr 3, 2009
The Banana Republic

There are so many threads on this subject maybe someone will come with something new...
That's because some ex-pats have to be constantly reminded on the reasons why they decided to leave The States to move to The BR. :cheeky:

-BB :bunny:

ddoran

Apr 23, 2006
smilies

first came here as peace Corps Vol in 1979
worked with campesinos in the mountains outside of Moncion in the Cibao
even the poorest persons had honest, sincere smiles
and regardless of their economic situation, their love for dancing and dressing up on Saturday night to go to the cerro bar amazed me
david el aguilucho droan

Reactions: woofsback

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
the uphoria of calmness

the pace of life here is so much more relaxed
no rush, rush, rush

the smiles of people who are enjoying life without many of the stresses we have in our countries

the beauty of the flora
the vibrant colours

the family together attitude

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
I like that we can maintain a decent lifestyle and I can work (really really) part time and stay at home and raise my kids.
I like that even though we live in an aprtment in a city, my kids can see animals and nature all over.

RainingKarma

Nov 4, 2009
I fell in love with the country when I was four years old, on vacation with my parents. We went to see old movies at an outdoor movie theater and it was magical.

And the first experience of a WARM beach, quiet and still as a lake, made me a believer forever.

And that ferkakteh Dominican sense of humor.

Status
Not open for further replies.