Banco Reservas ATM ate my card

Status
Not open for further replies.

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
I'm taking on Ban Reservas and won't stop until I get some good old fashioned customer service!
Today I went to the ATM in Sosua as Scotia Bank ATM was down. Pulled out some cash and then the ATM didn't give back my card.
Immediately went in and spoke with a customer service agent. And guess what...."so sorry, we can't give you back your card, that's our policy no exceptions!" Well, let me tell you I was fumming. Asked why and the reply was "we don't have control of the ATM" WHAT??????
Ok so who does? 'The company that fills it.'

OMG Not a straight answer to be had.

I asked them to hold the card when the ATM was filled and I'll bring in all the ID needed to prove it's my card....again...Sorry, we won't give it back!

I left the bank because I was getting so frustrated and returned later to speak with the Manager.....again the same unhelpful response.
"Can't/won't return it, it will be cut up when it gets to Puerto Plata".

I refused to leave until he gave me HIS supervisor's number. I have the receipt that came out with the money, it has the balance on it and I showed it to the manager and told him that they will be responsible if there is any discrepency when I get this sorted out.

I will be calling the supervisor in the morning. I just can't understand what the issue is with returning my card.

I've notified my bank in Canada, and will have another card sent but that's not the point.

I will not accept the disrespect the bank employees gave me, I will not accept the explaination that they won't give it back. I'll do whatever it takes to get either an appology or the policy changed.

Really, how hard is it to actually be nice to a client, help solve the issue, make a phone call (on my dime) to my bank in Canada to confirm that it really is my card, show my ID and get it back?

What happens to the poor tourist that has their card taken by the ATM? What recourse do they or those of us living here have?

Thanks for letting me rant and rave....I'm feeling better now, but I will follow through with the "higher ups".

Anyone else had this happen? What did you do? Stories, suggestions welcome.

I know I can't change the "system" all by myself but I'll try! :)

Have a good night, and beware the ATM at Ban Reservas in Sosua.

Reactions: waytogo
Aug 21, 2007
Yes, it happened to me a few years ago. No, the bank won't return the card. Yes, my bank sent a new card which I received within a couple of days. Yes, I, too, was frustrated.

It is their bank, their policies. We can't change them, so it is best just to save your emotional energy (expending it just hurts you, not them) and wait for the new card.

I empathize. Been there. Done that, but have no other advice. Sorry.

Lindsey

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Thanks Lindsay. I know all that I just wanted to rant! But I will follow through with my call tomorrow just to satisfy myself! I'm done with expending any extra energy on the issue.
This forum is very cathartic!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
you are new here eh!!!

This has happened to most of us. Banks here are to take your money. They are not here to help you or provide service. They will charge you more changing money than you are able to get on the street. Save your emotional energy as they see gringas like you every day. You have no recourse. The sooner you come to grips the easier it will be. If your accounts are in the civilized world they will make good on any losses you sustain. Try to avoid doing business with the banks. Be prepared to be ripped off when you use the atms. There are a million scams just waiting for you. If you use the ATMs then try to use them during the day. Its much worse at night. The thieves use rubber band devices to get your card. It goes on and on. The DR is a wonderful place but you are not in Kansas!!!!! Welcome and best of luck!!!!

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Same **** happened to me, and it was a ban Reservas ATM card I don't understand but that is just the way it is. I would think it would end up costing them money in my case thy had to call SD and send me a new card would it not be cheaper to just open up the machine and give me my card back???? but thy know there own country and with every body out to con every body else, this may be the best way.

westcan

Sep 10, 2008
Not only in the D.R.

I also had this happen in Mexico a few years ago, I think I left the card in the slot as I counted my cash, and while I stood there the machine sucked my card back into its innards. Went to the bank in the morning but no, they wouldn't (actually couldn't) return the card.
Same thing will happen in my home country Canada. I know one person who had that happen to her.

Apparently that feature is a security measure. Note I am not saying this is what happened to you. It's just an example of the same thing (not returning the card) happening in other countries.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Never a problem

Have had this happen twice at BHD here on El Conde SD and both time they opened the machine and gave me the card. no hassle. Change banks

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Yup I know the score, I've been here nearly 3 yrs and up until today NEVER had a problem with my bank or an ATM. Ahhh well just another inconvenience I have to put up with to live in this beautiful country. Que sera sera (sorry can't put the accent on the "r"s)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I posted on this thread earlier but it disappeared!

Just wanted to say that I had a good experience with a similar situation which occurred with a Banco Popular ATM machine in Plaza International (opposite Union Medica, Santiago) some time ago.

Got the money but the machine ate the card..... arrrggghhhhh. Went to BP office in same plaza and was told that the machine on the upstairs floor was not their responsibility but the young manager, Eduardo, said he would try to help as Charlie was being discharged from the hospital the following day so would be our last day in Santiago for some time we hoped. I called back to him as arranged and, despite it not being his responsibility, he handed me the bank card. I called back a little later with a nice bottle of men's cologne for him and he was extremely grateful.

Sometimes it is not the systems but the people who make the difference and not just in the DR!

Reactions: woofsback

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
same thing happened to me at progresso atm (foreign card) after opening hours...

did the transaction, got distracted by a friend and forgot to reclaim my card...

went there next day and upon showing my id, and telling them the time it happened, they gave the card back. Service was excellent>

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
Apparently that feature is a security measure. Note I am not saying this is what happened to you. It's just an example of the same thing (not returning the card) happening in other countries.

i'm from canada
a fellow left his card in the atm slot and went outside
i heard some beeping and saw the machine take his card
ran out to get him and when he came back
the machine wouldn't give him back his card

it's a safety feature so no-one grabs your card if you leave it there

PSGirl

Oct 22, 2010
I had it happen to me at Banco Popular - my fault - I went too fast and didn't read the instructions before I started....DUH. Anyway, I went back the next day with ID, passport and they gave it back to me.

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
Good to hear that there are some banks and/or individuals that take customer service seriously.
This has not been the case with Ban Reservas in Sosua.

Just to clarify, I did not leave the card in the machine, it just refused to cough it up when the transaction was complete.

So far I see that the following Banks give back the cards:
BHD
Progresso
Banco Popular

Any other banks out there with good customer service and the ability to return debit cards eaten by there machines!

Status
Not open for further replies.