Why are they poisoning children in DR

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
i'm suprised that half the country isn't sick with food poisoning just from observing the basic food handling practices i see on a daily basis, lack of refrigeration, food left out for hours. the microwave oven is used for food storage not reheating. "give me a piece of that goat, no not the head, the piece over there with the flies on it"..........

Jul 4, 2010
... "give me a piece of that goat, no not the head, the piece over there with the flies on it"..........

Not sure about goat, but flies will not feed on fish contaminated with ciguatera toxin. So if flies refuse to land on your food, it's most probably not for human consumption either. I usually have my cat savor a piece of raw meat before deciding to have it for dinner. If the cat does not eat it, the meat is thrown away.

Jul 4, 2010
I live north of the town of Azua, and last night some folks dropped in and said they had heard from a doctor at the Taiwan hospital in town, that four of the school children had died. I refused to believe it, pending confirmation, which I haven't got. I'm almost convinced this is a criminal case with political implications.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
much ado about nothing. every day they serve 1.3 millions of those breakfasts, 126 sick kids is a miniscule margin. they get a bun and milk that has never been properly stored. just look at milk section in any supermarket - never refigirated. i am surprised the number of food poisoning is so low, in fact.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
much ado about nothing. every day they serve 1.3 millions of those breakfasts, 126 sick kids is a miniscule margin. they get a bun and milk that has never been properly stored. just look at milk section in any supermarket - never refigirated. i am surprised the number of food poisoning is so low, in fact.

the milk sold in supermarkets does not need refrigeration until its opened.

like Cranberry Juice cocktail!

http://edition.cnn.com/FOOD/resources/food.for.thought/dairy/long.life.milk/index.html

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
That's right, like the unrefrigerated milk sold in supermarkets the school breakfast drink is UHT, long life, or at least it's supposed to be.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
yes, this is the same kind of milk sold all over the world. but it is rather hot in DR, no? and even hotter in trucks that transport this stuff all over the country. and no, you cannot smell or taste milk that is slightly off. or at least i cannot.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
we all say that but you would have been surprised how much food poisoning related medicine we sell. children here pick up lots of parasites, bacterias and amoebas. i guess it may be because their immunity systems are low due to malnutrition.

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Food poisonings and malnutrition are a huge problem all over the world. They need to spend more of the World Bank and IMF grants on refrigerators for school cafeterias and proper food storage and handling, not on cars and other benefits for the officials.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Exactly right!!!! Also, in this country more than any other, I have seen, they would sell thier own granny for a buck, so, if something is tainted, they will just throw more salt on it and sell it anyway.
There is very little pride in service or product. Just demand for easy money.

Jul 4, 2010
My son Aroa, who is a fifth grade student at public school in the village of El Cano, Azua, did not get today his complete daily allocation of school lunch which they call "comida" or "merienda". The school lunch a consists of a portion of solid food, which today was rice with salami, and a liquid, which they call "prote?na". The "prote?na" or 'protein drink' is prepared from a powder which is mixed with water. According to Aroa, the powder is delivered monthly by truck, and a teacher is charged with mixing a daily amount with water and serving it to the students. However, today the teacher refused to prepare the protein drink pending the approval of the school director, who seems to have gone AWOL since yesterday.

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
I find it funny that my mom got up every morning and made us breakfeast and a packed lunch for school and now children are fed by the school? One goes to school to learn and comes home to be fed??? I guess not...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
My son Aroa, who is a fifth grade student at public school in the village of Elcano, Azua, did not get today his complete daily allocation of school lunch which they call "comida" or "merienda". The school lunch a consists of a portion of solid food, which today was rice with salami, and a liquid, which they call "prote?na". The "prote?na" or 'protein drink' is prepared from a powder which is mixed with water. According toAroa, the powder is delivered monthly by truck, and a teacher is charged with mixing a daily amount with water and serving it to the students. However, today the teacher refused to prepare the protein drink pending the approval of the school director, who seems to have gone AWOL since yesterday.

Correct me if I'm wrong but the whole idea behind the school breakfasts is to ensure children that do not receive sufficient food at home are provided for. If you can afford to send him with a breakfast and lunch, you should be doing so. 1 You'll know exactly what he's getting. 2. The food should go to those that need it. My opinion only.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The whole school breakfast thing is more about who gets the contract than providing poor children with good nutrition.

Jul 4, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong but the whole idea behind the school breakfasts is to ensure children that do not receive sufficient food at home are provided for. If you can afford to send him with a breakfast and lunch, you should be doing so. 1 You'll know exactly what he's getting. 2. The food should go to those that need it. My opinion only.

Bob, I totally agree with you, on both points, 1 and 2.