Cell Phone Question: Traveling to the US

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We're heading back to the US next week. We have both an Orange and Claro cell phone, both quad-band GSMs.

Will they work in the US (NYC/Philly)?

What are the roaming charges like?

Is it possible to get a cheap US cell number like an Orange chip in the DR? I know there are pre-paid plans available but you have to buy a phone, unless that has changed (I had one from Wal-Mart once.)

What are the options for cell use while in the US?

TIA for your insight...

DRdaddy

Sep 15, 2010
If your phones are unlocked you can use a pre-paid sim from just about anywhere.Try best buy,target or walmart cost somewhere between 10-80 bucks depending on plan and minutes.

Reactions: cobraboy

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002
Your best / cheapest solution is a prepaid option (as stated above). I know Virgin mobile has some good, relatively cheap plans.

Reactions: cobraboy

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
T Mobil

Your best / cheapest solution is a prepaid option (as stated above). I know Virgin mobile has some good, relatively cheap plans.

US has T Mobil, prepaid you just buy the chip not a phone, if your unlocked just put in the new chip and your good to go. I change back and forth when I travel.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Thanks to you all!

I feel like a tourist going back to the states...

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Robert

I have a plan with Tmobile that if you buy $100 worth of minutes they will last you a year. I use the same phone in the DR as in the States and just change the chip. It might be worth it as long as you go back once a year.

See "pay as you go" in the attached link:

tmobile

Jan 9, 2004
Another option...

would be Metro PCS.

Go to a Metro pcs store (they are everywhere in NYC/Philly), buy the cheapest (around $30) phone (they usually waive the $15 activation fee) and pay $60 for the monthly unlimited international plan.

Your total cost will be about $100, but....and here is the but....calls to Dominican landlines are included with the unlimited international plan.

Downside to Metro pcs is that they are city centric....meaning coverage is less than ideal outside major metropolitan areas.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited: